Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wait time for ordered furniture

Options
  • 15-05-2009 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I ordered and paid a deposit for a bookshelf 2 months ago with a well known furniture store.
    They said it'd be 8 - 12 weeks but is normally 6 weeks.

Anyway I ring up and that say it'll be mid July.
    That's 16 weeks.

At what point can I get my deposit back?
    Anyone had a similar experience?

Cheers
    M

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What does the fine print on your contract with the retailer say (the back side of that big A4 receipt you got)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Your contract probably states that the delivery time is an estimate and late deliveries are not grounds for refund of a deposit.

The reason your order is late is likely because the store hasn't enough money to pay their suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

mathie- You will prob have no problem getting a refund but I don't see how it will benefit you. You will have to start the process all over again and in mid july chances are you still won't have a product.
    Smart thing to do here is to tell the retailer you are unhappy/looking for a refund etc but you would wait if they offered you some sort of goodwill gesture i.e 10/15% off the balance owed.
    Can I ask which retailer it is?

Newaglish- The most common reason for delays like these are simply shipping delays. Most products are brought in from overseas in bulk and are extremely susceptible to delays. 4 week delay is mild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Newaglish wrote: »
    Your contract probably states that the delivery time is an estimate and late deliveries are not grounds for refund of a deposit.

The reason your order is late is likely because the store hasn't enough money to pay their suppliers.

Not every retailer is going bust - thankfully landlords have finally come to their senses and reduced rents in many cases.

My guess is if its a large retailer, they are waiting to have enough orders to fill a 40ft container from the same factory.

Up to last year, this would be completed in a matter of 2 / 3 week whereas with slower sales, this can take a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Jason1984 wrote: »
    Newaglish- The most common reason for delays like these are simply shipping delays. Most products are brought in from overseas in bulk and are extremely susceptible to delays. 4 week delay is mild.

I'm speaking from experience - no shipping delay takes up to 16 weeks.

Generally when you think to yourself "How could they be this disorganised" the answer is usually that there's another issue behind their delay.

These stores have been dealing for a while now on the system of using deposits for new orders to clear supplier debts on older orders. When new orders slow down, it's not possible to pay off your supplier and therefore no new furniture comes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

shipping of up to 12 weeks from china, i worked in a retailer where the boat SANK half way across and the whole order had to start again. were left without stock for quite some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Generally when you think to yourself "How could they be this disorganised" the answer is usually that there's another issue behind their delay.

These stores have been dealing for a while now on the system of using deposits for new orders to clear supplier debts on older orders. When new orders slow down, it's not possible to pay off your supplier and therefore no new furniture comes in.

That certainly is possible but in most cases, and I'm speaking from what I do for a living, a new furniture order takes 12-14 weeks to arrive in Ireland from the date it was ordered by the retailer. I see delays everyday due to shipping problems etc, some can come 4 weeks early, some 4 weeks late. (We're not all fooked! :))

Any chance you'd give us a hint at the retailer OP? :)

Advertisement