Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing - the "Here Comes the Summer Lull" Edition

Options
  • 15-05-2009 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

Now that we're heading into a quiet patch, its a good time to catch up on games that you missed (or never finished).

Xbox 360
    Mirrors Edge. Nearly at the end now. Got stuck a few months ago because I was going for the no guns achievement on Medium (which I now know is pretty damn impossible), so I restarted on Easy. Really enjoying it. If Mirrors Edge 2 ever comes out, it'll be great. I'll lash through Hard when I'm done.

Space Invaders Extreme: I don't think its as good as the DS version and the music makes my ears bleed (I now have music volume set to 0), but its a fun game, and a serious challenge to play properly.

I think I'll grit my teeth and try Fallout 3 again next. Didn't get very far the first time I played it.

DS
    Zelda Oracle of Ages (in a game of continuation after finishing Oracle of Seasons). Unless Nintendo start pushing these out on the DSi store, these gems will vanish into obscurity. Ages seems very unfamiliar to me, so I must have given up on it back when it came out originally (playing on Goomba via a GBA expansion cart, before you ask).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

After my exams I plan to finish games that I have bought months ago, such as,
    stalker clear sky
    fallout 3
    fallout tactics
    farcry 1
    farcry 2 ( don't like it at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I'm gonna try bioshock, but I don't hold out much hope

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mr E wrote: »
    Mirrors Edge. Nearly at the end now. Got stuck a few months ago because I was going for the no guns achievement on Medium (which I now know is pretty damn impossible), so I restarted on Easy. Really enjoying it. If Mirrors Edge 2 ever comes out, it'll be great. I'll lash through Hard when I'm done.

Far from impossible - managed it myself on my one playthrough :) There is a part with a sniper rifle you have to use, but doesn't count towards the achievement. Shame there's guns in the first place tbh - playing it without makes you think about things differently - there are some bastard bits that make you think the developer hates you for not shooting though.

Have plenty of games on the go at the moment - Dead Space (which is superb, the most atmospheric game I've played in a while), Street Fighter IV (which Im awful at), Chinatown Wars and the PopCap duo (Peggle and Plants vs Zombies). Also have Persona 4 ready to go. Lots to keep me going for a month or so at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Far from impossible [...] there are some bastard bits that make you think the developer hates you for not shooting though.

Yup, got as far as the boat level (fighting about 6 guys after the truck sequence) and just couldn't finish it. Got though it after a couple of attempts on my current playthough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not an awful lot for once.

Xbox 360:

Fallout 3: will be playing it for a while, love it.
    Space Invaders Extreme: I really love this, what a great way to update a classic, up there with galaga legions.

A bit of peggle and SFIV

PS2:

Persona 3: Absolutely loving this game.

DS:

Portrait of Ruin: Not as good as the older ones but still an excllent game.
    Final Fantasy IV: Excellent update of one of my favourite games.

A bit of SF2 and Left 4 Dead every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Mirrors edge is pretty simple on Medium with no guns. The game is easier on hard though if you play through it first without guns on medium because you can fly through the game with the guns. Last level is the only extremely tough part in one of the final rooms.

And im playing Fifa 09 and Cod 4 on xbox360 while also slowly going through Ocarina of time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Far Cry 2
    Saints Row 2
    Bioshock
    Mercs 2
    Pure
    STALKER
    Witcher
    World of Goo
    Halo 3
    Fable 2
    Gears of War 2
    Prince of Persia
    Zeno Clash
    Resident Evil 5
    inFamous

I'm a bit behind, but thank god for this recession ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Shining Force II
    Sam and Max Season 1
    Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
    Elite Beat Agents (€3.98 preowned in the Game sale!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

PC

Stalker clear sky
    empire total war
    football manager 09
    fallout 3

PS2

persona 3 and 4
    rogue galaxy

Was thinking of buying saints row 2 to for the pc is it anygood?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

PC:

I keep sitting down at my PC to play Fallout 3, but 4 hours later all I've done is killed a load of Zombies with plants (damn you popcap, I refuse to be a casual gamer). Popcap games usually last for about 2 weeks with me so after that I'd say I'll get back into Fallout 3, the Broken Steel DLC has made playing it a lot more appealing

PS3:

Finally getting around to Little Big Planet. Playing through it with the OH atm.

Street Fighter IV... I can't put this game down, every time I sit in front of my TV I want to play it. But it will be on hold now until I get my replacement SS pads in the post.

Worms... been playing a lot of this PSN game. Great fun. I laugh out loud at least once in each match at some of the unfortunate coincidences that either befall me or other players. It's a pity there's no in game comment system between go's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Good thread. I have a load of games to catch up with and finish:

1080 Avalanche (GC) - I didn't give it time because it had a lot to live up to, but after going back and playing 1080 on N64, I'm going to try it again.

Ico (PS2) - hasn't left its case yet. I don't know why either.

Okami (PS2) - played the start, but going back to standard definition TVs with those vibrant colours on-screen isn't enticing. May buy the Wii version just to play at 480i/p.

Persona 4 (PS2) - Giving this a shot sometime this summer. I'm looking for something that will 'wow' me the same way I took a chance on an unusual little-known game called Morrowind one summer.

Freedom Fighters (Xbox) - played the start and have to finish.

Metal Gear 1 & 2 (PS2-MGS3: Subsistence) - yet to play.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - haven't started the snake tales yet.

Fallout 3 DLC & Shivering Isles (Xbox 360) - there's something about your content not being licensed to your console that puts you off playing it, but I have to finish Shivering Isles even if the combat is boring now.

Few others like Pikim 2 I have to buy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Think i will chance fallout again myself, as im really not willing to grind to level 30 after finishing everything from the dlc's and main game im only on level 24.

Giving the guitar hero / rock band games a break for a while - medical reasons :eek:

Looking forward to UFC next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Here's what I am playing -

Xbox 360

Having finished Bioshock, FEAR and Condemned 2, the only game to play through now is Mass Effect, and I think I will give this a serious effort tonight!

Playstation 2

Pro Evolution Soccer 6, going to play another season, then change the difficulty level to the highest setting and try win all the trophies. Also need to finish Transformers (the Atari version) the Red Star and Rez before I start anything else.

Mega-Drive

Still playing through Splatterhouse 2, bit stuck on a boss whose getting the better of me :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Picked up a PS3 recently, so i've loads to play. Especially since i missed out on a lot of the bigger releases of the last year or so.

Playstation 3
    Valkyria Chronicles - On chapter 5 atm, and im absolutly loving it. Its definitly one of my favourite games in recent memory. I suck at it though. I'm lucky if i get a C rating in most missions. Plus the flying pig thing is annoying me. MOINK!

Star Wars: Force Unleashed - Playing through this atm too, and am enjoying it. ITs nothing amazing, but its fun absolutly tearing through a ton of stormtroopers.

Drakes Fortune, Resident Evil 5, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Killzone 2 are still sitting in their boxes, waiting to be played.

Xbox 360
    Gears of War 2 - Enjoying it, but its been put on hold till i complete Valkyria Chronicles, and get a bigger tv.

Rock Band/Guitar Hero - Pretty much constants in my collection. Havent played as much in the last few days, but will get back into them soon.

PC
    World of Warcraft - Once again im stupidly addicted to the game. Playing as much as i ever have, and really enjoying it. Bloody well wish i wasnt though.

Half Life 2 - Playing through the series again, and half way through Episode 1 atm. Still an amazing game, with some fantastic set pieces.

Mount and Blade - Playing this from time to time too, when i just feel like killing people with swords and stuff. Great game by such a small developer (himself and his wife).

Other stuff too which i cant think of right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Here's a list of games that I bought but never got too far with;

Far Cry 2 (PC)
    Witcher
    Fable 2
    Gears of War 2
    Resident Evil 5

Which of these is most worthy of finishing?

I played the sh!t out of Plants V Zombies = must play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Hi

My name is Gummy and I'm a recovering WoW addict. :D

PS3

Dead Space - going to finish this soon.

Valkyria Chronicles - Deleted my save so i can start a fresh and enjoy the story.

Demons Souls - Need to put more time into this.. especially to piss off the people still waiting for back log copies :pac:

InFamous will soon be added to list. Not buying in store though as €69.99 RRP from SCEE is too high. Gonna order from shopto.net tonight.

PS2

Persona 3 - love this game and have persona 4 waiting to be played too.

PSP

FFVI: Crisis Core - Has become a chore to play after
    killing angeal and have your holiday at the beach. How come i was killing soldiers with an umbrella?

DS

Chrono Trigger - Love this game and glad they remade it. Please remake Secret of Mana as well. Gummy love you long time.

Final Fantasy IV - Have always loved this snes classic. Really good update and you can see straight away that bosses have been retuned.. even the first boss fight is a challenge now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Now that we're heading into a quiet patch, its a good time to catch up on games that you missed (or never finished).

Xbox 360

Space Invaders Extreme: I don't think its as good as the DS version and the music makes my ears bleed (I now have music volume set to 0), but its a fun game, and a serious challenge to play properly.

I think I'll grit my teeth and try Fallout 3 again next. Didn't get very far the first time I played it.

DS
    Zelda Oracle of Ages (in a game of continuation after finishing Oracle of Seasons). Unless Nintendo start pushing these out on the DSi store, these gems will vanish into obscurity. Ages seems very unfamiliar to me, so I must have given up on it back when it came out originally (playing on Goomba via a GBA expansion cart, before you ask).

If you give Fallout 3 a chance and really get yourself into it, it will keep you amused till the recession blows over ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Finished Mirror's Edge for the second time there on Hard. It's awfully short, but then so was Portal. What's there is bloody good, and I'll definitely get a hold of a sequel if it should be made. Not terribly fond of the race section, too many people seem to have completed every course in as much time as it takes to get to the first checkpoint.

Aside from that, a smattering of Madworld, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, and Overlord.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Xbox 360
    Fallout 3
    Ace Combat 6
    Outrun XBLA

PS3
    History Channel Civil War: Secret Missions
    Street Fighter IV
    Dead Space

Wii
    MadWorld
    Let's Tap

DS
    The Times Crossword
    Picross
    Rhythm Paradise
    Feckin' Peggle!

otherwise the following get an occasional look in,
    Ridge Racer 2 and Locoroco on PSP
    Warioware Twisted on GBA
    Rockaroids (a perfect copy of Asteroids) on Vectrex
    Metal Slug X on NeoGeo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

360 - still haven't bothered sending it off to get repaired yet a month and a half after RROD... I should really pull my finger out!

DS - Mario & Luigi partners in time - really enjoying this, but am only playing 15 minutes blasts on my way to/from work

PC - Peggle, and possibly a bit of L4D this weekend

Think I'm teetering on the edge of giving up gaming again:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sarky wrote: »
    Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

I have this somewhere but have yet to play it, is it any good? Looks a little, well, worthy to me, a bit long and drawn out, is it a good game or a series of cinematics with minimal gameplay along the way, Kojima may get away with that in MGS4 but not sure anyone else will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm enjoying it, anyway. The Longest Journey is a rather average pointy-clicky adventure with an interesting story, Dreamfall itself is a lot more interesting and well-realised. A fair bit of dialogue, yes, it's not really an action game. Although there is some passable close combat and stealth, it's very much story-based. That's the kind of thing I like, so I quite like it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

When is this quiet patch?

For the first time in a long time the release schedule is pretty full.

So, while trying to play catch up, you will be falling behind these releases...:p

I included all regions of PS3 as it is region free...

List is copy/pasted from here: Release dates

Wii
    05/14 Rock Band 2...
    05/15 Minon: Everyday Hero
    Sports Island 2
    Swords and Soldiers
    05/22 Anno: Create A New World
    Aqua Panic
    Bob the Builder:...
    EA Sports Active
    Neopets Puzzle Adventure
    Night at the Museum:...
    Punch-Out!!
    05/29 Boom Blox Bash Party
    Guitar Hero: Metallica
    PDC World Championship...
    Rock Band 2
    Story Hour: Adventures
    Story Hour: Fairy Tales
    06/05 Jillian Michaels'...
    06/12 Grand Slam Tennis
    Grand Slam Tennis...
    Horrible Histories...
    Indiana Jones and the...
    Pirates vs. Ninjas...
    The Conduit
    Virtua Tennis 2009
    Virtua Tennis 2009...
    06/19 Cake Mania: In the Mix!
    Ghostbusters The Video...
    Hysteria Hospital:...
    It's My Birthday
    Let's Tap
    Mary King's...
    MySims Racing
    One Piece Unlimited...
    06/23 Resident Evil...
    06/26 Another Code: R - A...
    Bigfoot: Collision Course
    Casper's Scare...
    Guitar Hero: Greatest...
    07/03 Harry Potter and the...
    Ready Steady Cook
    Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10
    Tiger Woods PGA TOUR...
    07/17 Line Rider: Freestyle
    Purr Pals
    07/24 Wii Sports Resort (w/...
    07/31 G.I. Joe: The Rise of...
    09/09 The Beatles: Rock Band
    09/18 Toy Story Mania
    10/30 Klonoa: Door to...

Xbox360
    05/15 Battlestations: Pacific
    Left 4 Dead (Game of the...
    Namco Museum Virtual...
    05/22 Damnation
    Rock Revolution
    Tomb Raider Underworld...
    UFC 2009 Undisputed
    Virtua Tennis 2009
    05/29 Bionic Commando
    Fuel
    Operation Flashpoint:...
    SBK-09 Superbike World...
    Terminator Salvation
    06/05 Red Faction: Guerrilla
    Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
    Sacred 2: Fallen Angel...
    Star Ocean: The Last Hope
    06/12 Prototype
    06/19 Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Batman: Arkham Asylum...
    06/26 Dynasty Warriors 6...
    Fight Night Round 4
    Overlord II
    Tales of Vesperia
    07/03 Harry Potter and the...
    Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10
    09/17 Need for Speed Shift
    09/25 Tekken 6
    This is Vegas
    10/09 Mafia II
    10/16 Brutal Legend
    10/30 BioShock 2
    11/10 Modern Warfare 2

PS3

PS3 - North America
    05/14 Texas Cheat 'Em
    ZEN Pinball
    05/18 Bionic Commando
    05/19 Rock Band Classic Rock...
    Terminator Salvation
    UFC 2009 Undisputed
    05/26 Cross Edge
    Damnation
    Fuel
    inFAMOUS
    06/02 Red Faction: Guerrilla
    Red Faction: Guerrilla...
    Virtua Tennis 2009
    06/08 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10
    06/09 Prototype
    06/16 Ghostbusters The Video...
    Guitar Hero: Smash Hits
    06/23 Dynasty Warriors 6...
    Overlord II
    Transformers: Revenge of...
    06/30 BlazBlue: Calamity...
    BlazBlue: Calamity...
    Call of Juarez: Bound in...
    Fight Night Round 4
    Harry Potter and the...
    Ice Age: Dawn of the...
    07/07 The Bigs 2
    07/14 NCAA Football 10
    07/21 G-Force
    Rock Band Country Track...
    08/14 Madden NFL 10
    09/09 Cloudy With a Chance of...
    The Beatles: Rock Band
    The Beatles: Rock Band...
    09/15 Star Wars The Clone...
    09/22 Dark Void
    Need for Speed: Shift
    10/13 Brutal Legend
    11/03 Dragon Age: Origins
    11/10 Modern Warfare 2
    Modern Warfare 2...
    11/17 Assassin's Creed 2
    PS3 - North Europe
    05/14 Bejeweled 2
    ZEN Pinball
    05/22 Bionic Commando
    Damnation
    UFC 2009 Undisputed
    Virtua Tennis 2009
    05/29 Fuel
    Guitar Hero: Metallica...
    inFamous
    inFamous (Special...
    Terminator Salvation
    06/05 Red Faction: Guerrilla
    Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
    Sacred 2: Fallen Angel...
    06/12 Prototype
    Batman: Arkham Asylum...
    06/26 Dynasty Warriors 6...
    Fight Night Round 4
    Fritz Chess
    Overlord II
    07/03 Call of Juarez: Bound in...
    Harry Potter and the...
    Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10
    07/10 Cross Edge
    07/17 G-Force
    08/21 Agarest: Generations of...
    09/18 Need for Speed Shift
    09/25 This is Vegas
    10/09 Mafia II
    10/16 Brutal Legend
    10/30 BioShock 2
    11/10 Modern Warfare 2
    PS3 - North Japan
    05/28 Agarest Senki (CH...
    Shin Sangoku Musou 5...
    Stranglehold (Good Price)
    The Last Guy
    Tom Clancy's...
    Top Spin 3
    06/18 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns...
    06/25 Agarest Senki Zero
    Agarest Senki Zero...
    Battlefield: Bad Company...
    Bionic Commando
    BlazBlue
    Extreme Racing: Pure
    Rorona no Atelier:...
    Rorona no Atelier:...
    Wanted: Weapons of Fate
    07/02 Shin Sangoku Musou 5...
    07/09 Legends of Wrestlemania
    Major League Baseball 2K9
    SIREN: New Translation...
    07/16 Tears to Tiara: Kakan no...
    The King of Fighters XII
    07/23 50 Cent: Blood on the...
    Hayarigami 3: Keishichou...
    Katamari Damacy Tribute
    Toro to Morimori
    07/30 Tom Clancy's...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

XBOX 360:
    BF: Bad Company
    GOW2 (Just finished story)
    COD5 (Just finished story)
    Guitar Hero III ordered :D

Capcom have been quiet on the bionic commando front. Didn't even know it was out next week. Usually a bad sign..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

F1ngers wrote: »
    When is this quiet patch?
    PS3
    PS3 - North Europe
    05/29
    inFamous
    06/12 Prototype
    Cant wait for Infamous and especially Prototype. Prototype best not be buggy on the PS3! Was going to start a thread about the latter. Suppose Arkham will have to be good too.

I recently bought Prince of Persia, Mercenaries 2 and LBP for the PS3. I still have Madworld and House of the dead overkill to play on the Wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

PC- Currently: Killing Floor and TF2. To Play: some Source Mods

PS3: Need to play, Killzone 2, Half Life 2, Ep.1 and Ep.2. My computer refuses to play HL2 smoothly

iPod touch: The racing Live App.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not an awful lot for once.

Xbox 360:

Fallout 3: will be playing it for a while, love it.
    Space Invaders Extreme: I really love this, what a great way to update a classic, up there with galaga legions.

A bit of peggle and SFIV

PS2:

Persona 3: Absolutely loving this game.

DS:

Portrait of Ruin: Not as good as the older ones but still an excllent game.
    Final Fantasy IV: Excellent update of one of my favourite games.

A bit of SF2 and Left 4 Dead every so often.

Did you not play the VC DLC yet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Final Fantasy IV - Have always loved this snes classic. Really good update and you can see straight away that bosses have been retuned.. even the first boss fight is a challenge now.

They really did retune the fights, especially the boss fights. They are much harder now and require a lot of strategy. Really good though :)
    Capcom have been quiet on the bionic commando front. Didn't even know it was out next week. Usually a bad sign..

A friend of mine has a review copy. He says it's loads of fun and incredibly hard but it's just short of being excellent.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A friend of mine has a review copy. He says it's loads of fun and incredibly hard but it's just short of being excellent.

Edge gave it 6/10, though they did give VC 7/10.

Only three scores on Metacritic so far.

Advertisement