Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard water and electric showers - water softening the answer?

• 15-05-2009 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I moved into new house about 18 months ago, and have a Mira Elite ST pumped electric shower fitted (was part of the builder's fit). It was working fine up to a couple of weeks ago, when it started making a horrible whining noise. It was still pumping out hot water, but the noise was unbearable!

Tried cleaning filter (I live in an EXTREMELY hard water area, I have to descale my kettle at least once a month) but to no avail. Now it's still pumping out water but is no longer heating.

I reckon the hard water has caused it to die on me (and a plumber I know agrees), and I really don't fancy having to constantly get repairs / get a new shower put in every couple of years.

Has anyone living in a hard water area experienced this? Is there a cost-effective solution - i.e. is it worth it in the long term getting a water softening system put in to prevent this?

Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts.

Cheers
    Aglomerado

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

I have gone through 3 showers due to heard water area. I just invested in a Mira Sport 10.8KW Max and it has a special system which reduces limescale by 50% .

They have them in B&Q Belfast for £249 and well worth it. Really good flow of water also . Highly recommend it, I have had it for a few weeks now.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=mira+sport&x=0&y=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 murphyai

have had a mira elite st for 2 years now.
    first the water wouldn't stop coming out after it switched off and now there is no hot water coming out of it.
    live in a extremely hard water area in laois.

any ideas on how to repair the heating problem would be appreciated too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Just an update on my Mira Sport Max no problems at all and still amazing fast flow. I would highly recommend it.

Advertisement