Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its coming ....

Options
  • 15-05-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

In my inbox thismorning :

Despite voters saying NO to giving Brussels any more power, the unelected bureaucrats are trying to pull off the biggest power grab in history by creating a new, unelected European President. Sign the petition to demand that every country must hold a referendum on any new European Treaty.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Posting a video doesn't constitute discussion - read the charter.

Sign what petition? Demand from whom that every country must hold a referendum? Are you suggesting that the EU (or Ireland) should force countries to change their procedures for ratifying treaties?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Now that's just sad. What is the message exactly? That people who vote Yes are axe-murderers, while No voters are screaming hysterics? Or vice-versa?

Nice production values, though. Very professional. That's a good look for Declan, too.

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Posting a video doesn't constitute discussion - read the charter.

Sign what petition? Demand from whom that every country must hold a referendum? Are you suggesting that the EU (or Ireland) should force countries to change their procedures for ratifying treaties?

Apologies - Will consult the charter Chief :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

wow

thats just so stupid it made my brain bleed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I like the way it deals with all the issues in an objective and fair way :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

That video just kicked my brain in the balls.

Lot's of style, zero substance.

Who produced it again!? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Blatant, yet amusing, scaremongering. You have to give them full marks for presentation, even if the content is a pile of steaming poo!!!! :D
    Scofflaw wrote: »
    Now that's just sad. What is the message exactly? That people who vote Yes are axe-murderers, while No voters are screaming hysterics? Or vice-versa?

I take it they are suggesting those about to be violently murdered and those about to violently murder should be taking the time out to go to the polls to vote for Libertas. After all one couldn't possibly be thinking straight given her predicament and the other is a raving loony. Kind of fits really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

iRock wrote: »
    Despite voters saying NO to giving Brussels any more power.

When was this vote? I never heard of a NO vote to not giving Brussels any more power. Enlighten us.
    the unelected bureaucrats are trying to pull off the biggest power grab in history by creating a new, unelected European President. .

Your alternative is a Eurovision style "fair" election? Btw what unelected bureaucrats? Initiatives like this are agreed by the council of ministers who are all elected.
    Sign the petition to demand that every country must hold a referendum on any new European Treaty.

So you think its fair for the EU to encroach upon national sovereignty and demand a certain way to ratify international treaties? While at the same time wanting Brussels to have less power.

Im stuck between :confused: and :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

As the great man said :
    We can do this two ways -
    We can vote no to Lisbon or we can do this until we get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Who said that iRock?

Google is no help:
    No results found for "We can vote no to Lisbon or we can do this until we get it right".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I've watched it a few times but the video still doesn't really make any sense to me. Maybe it tests well with Eurosceptics or something and just confuses everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

tests well with americans going by the comments on the youtube page.

THey posted it on their facebook page and you can have a look at the reponses (though me and a few others going nuts over their latest policy takes over towards the end sorry.)

http://www.facebook.com/friends/?ref=tn#/pages/Libertas/7454491540?ref=mf

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Actually regarding the petition, I find it really odd that people can scream for a lack of democracy in the EU and then actually sign a petition about other countries telling them how to ratify things. I really don't see it as anyone's business but the Irish people's as to how we ratify European treaties and I imagine that the feeling is mirrored by most Europeans with respect to their own countries.

I'd honestly take a very dim view of any petition signed by other Europeans demanding that we changed our ratification method.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

nesf wrote: »
    Actually regarding the petition, I find it really odd that people can scream for a lack of democracy in the EU and then actually sign a petition about other countries telling them how to ratify things. I really don't see it as anyone's business but the Irish people's as to how we ratify European treaties and I imagine that the feeling is mirrored by most Europeans with respect to their own countries.

I'd honestly take a very dim view of any petition signed by other Europeans demanding that we changed our ratification method.

I've had that very conversation with some of the people pushing for stuff like this. Sadly most don't see the hypocracy of it all. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

Despite voters saying NO to giving Brussels any more power, the unelected bureaucrats are trying to pull off the biggest power grab in history by creating a new, unelected European President. Sign the petition to demand that every country must hold a referendum on any new European Treaty.

Declan is that you?

Advertisement