Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sole travel

• 15-05-2009 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi!
    I want to get away for a while but funds aren't through the roof and I'd like to be back by July/August so I can (hopefully) sort out college stuff.
    I'd be travelling on my own. And I don't mind the option of working while I'm away so long as I don't get in to a big mess!
    Can anyone recommend anywhere? Even for a month? Also what do people think of women travelling alone? Would it be wise?
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Where were you thinking of going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

I wouldn't mind doing something like this either. Finished college this year, so don't have to worry about when I get back. No money behind me either though, actually got a 2500 overdraft to pay off. Wouldn't mind going somewhere after I pay off that so long as I was able to support myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭purplefighter

I'm also thinking of traveling this summer and am wondering whether to go it alone. I have been looking into inter- railing for a month, staying in hostels but as I haven't done this before and have watched too many horror movies:p would be worried about safety being a lone female traveler, i'm sure it's just as dangerous for guys traveling alone. I'm a bit of a chicken though:o
    I wouldn't have the money for private rooms in hotels, hostels or bnbs. Anyone with advice, ideas??

I did come across a very useful Volunteer website where there are lots of voluntary projects throughout Europe and the rest of the world where you work for your keep. Was thinking this might be an interesting way to travel.

www.vsi.ie " this is the Irish branch of Service Civil International, a worldwide peace movement that began in 1920. We work to promote peace, social justice, sustainable development and intercultural understanding through volunteering abroad and in Ireland."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

yeah, I came across some volunteering sites too, they all look a bit dear but it's the experience you get.
    I also thought of inter-railing, I wouldn't have a big budget but it'd be great to see different places. I know a woman who took her young child travelling and went as far as Oz and my sister travelled last year on her own but think she's braver than me! :rolleyes:
    Is there any group travel sites, where a couple of people go to the same place? Or maybe that's how you meet the 'wrong kind'! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭purplefighter

fifomania wrote: »
    yeah, I came across some volunteering sites too, they all look a bit dear but it's the experience you get.

Is there any group travel sites, where a couple of people go to the same place? Or maybe that's how you meet the 'wrong kind'! :P

Fifomania, you should check out the volunteerism boards under "soc". There are lots of websites mentioned there for volunteering for free. Like the one I mentioned, these are where you pay a minimal fee say from €50-€100 and basic food and accommodation is provided. Maybe not everybodys cup of tea but worth considering if you're short on cash and still looking to experience making a difference abroad.

I haven't come across any but would also love to know if there are any out there. All i've come across is group package holidays which cost an arm and a leg.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'm also thinking of traveling this summer and am wondering whether to go it alone. I have been looking into inter- railing for a month, staying in hostels but as I haven't done this before and have watched too many horror movies:p would be worried about safety being a lone female traveler, i'm sure it's just as dangerous for guys traveling alone. I'm a bit of a chicken though:o
    I wouldn't have the money for private rooms in hotels, hostels or bnbs. Anyone with advice, ideas??

I've met plenty of girls inter-railing alone so I wouldn't worry about it. Dorms in hostels are the places where you'll meet people anyway so private rooms wouldn't help in that department.

I went for a month by myself and it was one of the best times I've ever had, it was really memorable and I did some really cool things. Germany, Austria, and Italy are great starting points for a first time inter-rail trip as you have cool places like Berlin, Vienna, and Florence to go to. Good luck

Advertisement