Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query re. moving out

Options
  • 15-05-2009 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

I'm just about to give notice to my landlord that I'm leaving at the end of June, but I'm not sure what to do about finding a replacement tenant.

There's no lease, and when I moved in the tenant who showed me the room told me that I was only renting a room and wouldn't be liable for any excess rent if somebody moved out and we couldn't find a replacement tenant. However, I've mentioned my intention to move out to my 2 housemates and asked them what they wanted to do about finding a new tenant. One said they didn't mind, while the other one said that as far as they're concerned they are only renting their room and don't want to get involved in finding a new tenant and that they don't care what I do, that it's nothing to do with them.

If I'm giving my landlord the required 56 days' notice (I'm there for 3.5 years) and there's no lease, am I obliged to find a new tenant or is it up to the landlord and/or housemates to find a new one?

I don't want to cause grief for the landlord as they've been pretty decent, but I don't want to be left to find a replacement tenant if I don't have to, nor do I want to have to stay longer than intended because I can't find anyone to replace me.

Any help and advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

No its not up to you to find a new tenant if you serve the correct notice and there is no fixed lease in place

I think technically you are right in the notice requirements and if it is a decent landlord then it is the least you can do.

However if its not PRTB registered then you can use that as leaverage but to be honest it doesnt sound like you need that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

if you signed nothing and have given the notice stated abouve you have no other obligations.

Advertisement