Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone want to go see the Shawshank redemption in the gaiety...?

Options
  • 15-05-2009 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

So I bought tickets for my boyfriend as a surprise, but now the date doesnt suit him and i have to change it...

ticketmaster are evil, i cried down the phone and they still refused to do it!

So does anyone want to go see the shawshank redemption on the 21st of may...?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

With someone who cried down the phone to ticketmaster?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shalukwa

Not with me, although you seem like you'd be a simply charming date....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Ring the theatre box office and explain the situation. Depending on who you talk to, they might be able to do something for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

shalukwa wrote: »
    So I bought tickets for my boyfriend as a surprise, but now the date doesnt suit him and i have to change it...

ticketmaster are evil, i cried down the phone and they still refused to do it!

So does anyone want to go see the shawshank redemption on the 21st of may...?

ha ha , u will choose ur dates better the next time wont ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

how much are the tickets and where are the seats located?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Any review on this show, as partner is looking at going to it?

W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Any review on this show, as partner is looking at going to it?

W.

I work in the theatre and can tell you, whatever any review says, the show has had a standing ovation for every single performance. Speaks for itself really. This one is special.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Interested to hear people's thoughts on the Shawshank play?

While I love going to the theatre, I think I'd find it very hard to separate this from such a classic film.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Can we post personal reviews here? I'll spoiler tag this just in case, it can be removed if not meant to be here.
    Saw this last night and it didn’t really stick with me. I didn’t think it deserved the seemingly obligatory standing ovation.

It seemed rushed and lacking in any sense of drama or strong performances (with the exception of Cathey and Dullea in some parts - Dullea certainly stood out). Also left out some certainly memorable, and important to the feeling of the film, lines. Lines such as “get busy living, or get busy dying”, “hope can drive a man insane”. This is nostalgia for the film, sure; but the stage show was almost devoid of feeling.

It was by no means a bad performance, but it certainly left little impression with me. Especially at the €40-odd euro price range!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭patg

Why is Proxy's review censored?

I saw the play and would like to see other people's thoughts.

Is there a separate review section? If so, where is it?

I note the film forum has a review subcategory.!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

If you highlight it, you can read the text. I didn't want to spoil it for anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well if you're selling them I suppose it'll be at a loss as the buyer won't be paying your ticketmaster fee.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im going to see this week after next. Me Ma saw it at the weekend and thought it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭patg

mikemac wrote: »
    Well if you're selling them I suppose it'll be at a loss as the buyer won't be paying your ticketmaster fee.

I'm guessing if the OP is still selling them it will be at a real loss seen as the date of her tickets was 21st May!!!

I saw the play and my thoughts on it are pretty much in line with proxy's.
    This was one of my favourite films so maybe it was unfair to go in with expectations sky high.

Nothing wrong with the play as far as my non thespian tastes go, simply I felt it didn't pack the punch you would still get on watching the film (again!)

Fair enough that as an adaptation some bits are omitted and some new ideas included. As Proxy states however some missing pieces from the film have real resonance and their omission does detract a little. I missed the bit where Andy cranks up the opera record on speaker "and just for one minute every one of us felt like free men..."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im off to see this tomorrow. Willl report back with my thoughts then. :)

Im a bit late posting my feedback on the show but anyway..

Was excellent. Very professional and my opinion on Lane Productions has gone up (at last!) as a result. Granted the cast was mostly hardened professional actors, the whole production excelled in all areas.

My only gripe was they famous image from the film of Andy with his arms stretched cruxcifix style on his escape from prison was not included in the play. I always felt that this was a very symobolic image and moment in the film as it brough the whole sub theme of Andy being a Messiah type character full circle. Anyway, im just nitpicking! :o

In the program for the play, it had listed in the cast a couple of female characters, including Andy's wife, who werent in it at all. Odd.

Advertisement