Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attic conversion

• 15-05-2009 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi guys,

Well the babs is on the way! House 955sq ft and feels cramped as it is!!

Considering converting the attic of our 3 bed mid terraced house. Could get a 12ft by 18ft room with highest point of 8ft for 4ft across going down to a lowest point of 5 ft. (hope this makes sense)

It all depends on the price of course. Dont imagine we'll be moving for a good few years due to the property market and not wanting to increase the mortgage with the way things etc.

Im sure its alot cheaper now than the last estimates I saw on here going back to 2007. Has anyone had it done recently or could someone give me a rough estimate of how much its costing at the moment? I wouldnt want to put an en suite up there. Just have stairs going straight into room no partition or door at the top of the stairs.

Thanks a mill.

Momma:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

you need to read this through carefully

http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,1657,en.pdf

you will need a door either top or bottom of the attic stairs - amongst other things

Hard to say about costs - but min €20k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Momma

Thanks Sinnerboy will have a read of that. We're only looking into it at the mo and seeing if its feasible price wise. Helps to know the regs.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

20k is right. You will not get it much cheaper if its good and right. Not to sure where you live but know a good lad who serves dublin and meath if you want his details let me know.

Thanks folks,

Got a quote from a guy who seems to do attics regularly, registered insured etc. €13.5k

Very pleased. Obviously eager for the work. Starting soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

20k way over the top but 13 is a bit low 16 more like it so just keep an eye on things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kricket

20k is about right , watch out for structural issues and proper insulation

Well I say €20k min .

Momma - obviously I hope I am wrong for your sake .

Please keep us posted - especially when the job is completed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Well I say €20k min .

Momma - obviously I hope I am wrong for your sake .

Please keep us posted - especially when the job is completed

am interested in doing this at some stage.
    What would the 20k break down into approximately
    regarding materials and labour?

My other half is in construction (and the guy knows this) so will be able to keep a close eye on things. Just doesnt want the hassle of doing the whole thing himself. I want it done and dusted within a reasonable time not to be waiting for years!

It basically one room. Kingspan insulation and OSB floor which we will be carpeting. Steel beams 3 velux windows and 700 mm stairs. The guy himself says that he got the the plumber, electrician and plasterer to give competitive quotes as they are not busy. The job will be certified also.

Will keep you posted:)

Edited to say we are getting it in writing also so everyone knows whats expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

Still think 20k is mad same spec 16000 including cert 20k so last year try break down 20k

• Advertisement

Quick update...

Im very impressed so far

Will reserve final judgment for when they leave but these guys are grafters. They started this week and have the steel beams in tank moved walls and ceiling slabbed, windows in, hole cut for stairs, plumber and electrician have been for first run at, coming back next week to do their next bit. Wired for smoke alarm, spots and sockets.

They sweep up after themselves everyday:)

Im one happy momma!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Good to hear! Keep the updates coming!

Well,

Job should be finished by the time I get home today. So thats 9 working days. First week was bank holiday, last week we knew in advance they wouldnt be there Friday. So finishes today.

Hubby very impressed, there will be little or no snag list. The few things hubby was concerned about were already pointed out and to be finished today. (When I say he was concerned they were very minor details such as small dent in plaster... hes a perfectionist!)

Overall I am very impressed. We are very lucky though in that the space is very good for a conversion as well with quite a high roof.

I would definitely recommend these guys. I have never had work done and it was pointed out by neighbours that these guys were the cleanest workers they had ever seen, tidied up after themselves everyday. Now in saying that I cant wait to see the back of their tools etc :D

Anyway thats my update on the thing. I will PM the name if anyone wants it.

Just to add.... I had never heard of these guys before I got them to do the attic. I am in no way affiliated with them etc.

Hope your other delivery is just as painless :)

Haha! Thanks SinnerBoy... so do I!

Trying to get the rest of the house in order before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pureirish

Hi,

Slightle off topic here but hoping you can help.

I've received a competitive quote from a contractor and thinking of going with them for an attic conversion.

They are:....................I Love muffler & Co.

Has anyone any experience of them?

Thanks

Mod edit: No company names please.

Hi there,

The company name was edited out there I think.

Why dont you go and see some of their work. Also have you other quotes? Always helps to have a few.

List down everything included in the price and compare quotes that way.

I have to say the extra space is really worth it. For us anyway. Any similar houses to your with conversions? Be good to see if its worth doing.

Good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭RTT

Momma wrote: »
    Hi there,

The company name was edited out there I think.

Why dont you go and see some of their work. Also have you other quotes? Always helps to have a few.

List down everything included in the price and compare quotes that way.

I have to say the extra space is really worth it. For us anyway. Any similar houses to your with conversions? Be good to see if its worth doing.

Good luck:)

Hi Momma,

Hows that attic conversion holding up almost two years later? Neighbours of mine had it done, uncertified, and the roof is starting to sag. My worst nightmare! Could you please pm me the company who did yours? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Momma wrote: »
    Well,

Job should be finished by the time I get home today. So thats 9 working days. First week was bank holiday, last week we knew in advance they wouldnt be there Friday. So finishes today.

Hubby very impressed, there will be little or no snag list. The few things hubby was concerned about were already pointed out and to be finished today. (When I say he was concerned they were very minor details such as small dent in plaster... hes a perfectionist!)

Overall I am very impressed. We are very lucky though in that the space is very good for a conversion as well with quite a high roof.

I would definitely recommend these guys. I have never had work done and it was pointed out by neighbours that these guys were the cleanest workers they had ever seen, tidied up after themselves everyday. Now in saying that I cant wait to see the back of their tools etc :D

Anyway thats my update on the thing. I will PM the name if anyone wants it.

Just to add.... I had never heard of these guys before I got them to do the attic. I am in no way affiliated with them etc.

PM their details please... will be interesting to see if they are still in business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RTT wrote: »
    Hi Momma,

Hows that attic conversion holding up almost two years later? Neighbours of mine had it done, uncertified, and the roof is starting to sag. My worst nightmare! Could you please pm me the company who did yours? Thanks.

Did you ever get that PM or that attic work done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 makalay

can you PM me the company name please?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Last post from OP was in 2009

Please don’t grave dig old threads

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement