Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My pictures on a foreign blog???

• 15-05-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

I checked my flickr stats to see a visit from a strange website so I checked it out. This is the site http://festeslaldea.blogspot.com/ when I clicked on it and went down to the bottom I could see a slide show of my most recent boxing pictures.

Since it is a foreing site I cant understand what it says, my name is watermarked on all the images but I dont see any reference to me. I am just wondering is this normal, maybe someone can tell what it says?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

I would not be too impressed with someone using my work without permission!!

It says "Presentation of slides"

Cal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Dunno what it says but I wouldn't be happy with my pics on that site, bullfighting *******

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'm not exactly impressed myself with it. These pictures were paid for by Lucan Boxing Club and only myself and the club have any right to do anything with them. Although I doubt there are many people that would see them it still p***** me off considering I have my watermark on each of them, the slide show not only does not display my watermark fully or mention my name it also has the copyright of the blog directly below which would give the impression that they were the work of the blog owner.

What exactly can I do though since I do not speak the language? Just write a little note saying they will be charged for copyright or to remove? Unlikely they will even know what it means?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

I checked my flickr stats to see a visit from a strange website so I checked it out. This is the site http://festeslaldea.blogspot.com/ when I clicked on it and went down to the bottom I could see a slide show of my most recent boxing pictures.

Since it is a foreing site I cant understand what it says, my name is watermarked on all the images but I dont see any reference to me. I am just wondering is this normal, maybe someone can tell what it says?

Quite normal for Flickr images to appear as linked items on blogs.

The blog hasn't taken them, just liked via one of the many Flickr API's so you are still getting the credit and the views. If you don't want them displatyed mark them as private

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

soccerc wrote: »
    Quite normal for Flickr images to appear as linked items on blogs.

The blog hasn't taken them, just liked via one of the many Flickr API's so you are still getting the credit and the views. If you don't want them displatyed mark them as private

Agree with this,Had thing's like this on flickr before so it seems to be fairly common...

• Advertisement

They may be linking but they have not requested permission to do so! I am not impressed by it at all to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

They may be linking but they have not requested permission to do so! I am not impressed by it at all to be honest!

Same thing happened to me,A few photos of cars i had appeared on loads of car blogs,Never once was asked permission but the image was linked back to the original,Set your photos to friends only,That way only your contacts can see them...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They are not hosting anything, they are linking to a public site (flickr) which you agreed to display your photos on
    To be honest its not much different to searching for images in google and finding your images displayed there.

Mark em as private if you don;t want them displayed like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

What exactly can I do though since I do not speak the language? Just write a little note saying they will be charged for copyright or to remove? Unlikely they will even know what it means?

you could use a free online tranlator, write a simple wee note and translate it to spanish. if you like you can PM me and i can have a look over it. although my castellano is a bit rusty :P

Cabaal wrote: »
    They are not hosting anything, they are linking to a public site (flickr) which you agreed to display your photos on
    To be honest its not much different to searching for images in google and finding your images displayed there.

Mark em as private if you don;t want them displayed like this

in fairness to the OP the ones on the blog that I clicked on weren't in any public groups so it may just be a case that the blogger has linked incorrectly.

in any case if they're not in a public group on flickr i think she has every right just to ask the blogger to remove them from their site!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

As mentioned by soccerc and Ricky they are on flickr marked for everyone to see, they haven't been uploaded to another website, merely linked to on flickr. I don't mean to seem rude but most people aren't going to know/worry about copyright and don't see any harm in what they are doing.

I have had several photos linked to from my flickr account. I don't mind as when someone clicks the photo it takes them to my photostream.

If you're not happy the best thing you can do is to mark them as private.

...most people aren't going to know/worry about copyright and don't see any harm in what they are doing.

..which IMHO is why OP should drop them a line. Just because people don't know or can't be bothered to find out if they're doing wrong doesn't excuse the wrong that's being done!!!

As i said - it's probably just an incorrect link as what the heck would her boxing photos have to do with the local bullfighting festival?! :confused::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

from a post of Calina on another thread;
    re: serving images from flickr to inline elsewhere I think this may be the relevant area of the current Yahoo ToS which apply to Flickr users;
    Originally Posted by Yahoo ToS
    (b) With respect to Content you elect to post for inclusion in publicly accessible areas of Yahoo! Groups or that consists of photos or other graphics you elect to post to any other publicly accessible area of the Services, you grant Yahoo! a world-wide, royalty free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish such Content on the Services solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting the specific Yahoo! Group to which such Content was submitted, or, in the case of photos or graphics, solely for the purpose for which such photo or graphic was submitted to the Services. This licence exists only for as long as you elect to continue to include such Content on the Services and shall be terminated at the time you delete such Content from the Services.

(c) With respect to all other Content you elect to post to other publicly accessible areas of the Services, you grant Yahoo! the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully sub-licensable right and licence to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such Content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed.
    <<Emphasis Added>>

Personally, I would have approached the subject that if someone embeds my image into a blog page, then flickr is still serving out the image element as a single item, as i've actually instructed it to do. It just happens to be appearing in a different page context. Otherwise it would be very easy for flickr to stop external sites linking to its background servers but then i'd be mad at them for blocking my designated legitimate activity. Flickr has an issue in that it has no way of knowing what is legitimate activity. I may be mad as anything for them allowing another site to link to my images (or perhaps wonderfully flattered for them admiring the work ;) ).

Having said that, Calina's comments from another thread puts a different slant on it in favour of the photographer particularly with respect to "solely for the purpose for which such photo or graphic was submitted to the Services.". In this respect there appears to be a breach of the flickr terms and conditions (Yahoo! based ones applicable to flickr).

The above is a scratch together of a number of threads. I hope I haven't lost the train of thought. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

FYI

Link to the site in Englise

Click

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

This happened to me before as well, some wedding pics I had taken ended up on an Irish tourism website via the Flickr API. Because my images had "Abbeyleix" in the tags, they got pulled into the Abbeyleix page on the website :confused: without my permission.

To solve this, just go to your flickr account, click "You" --> "Your account", then click onto "Privacy & Permissions". In there , six lines down, click edit on the line that says "Hide your stuff from public searches", then click the box that says "Hide your photostream from searches on 3rd party sites that use the API?" Then you're done and this won't happen you again ;)

Thanks Paul. The way I see it if the person who commissioned the work paid then so should anyone who uses it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Looks like it was a mistake that your pics showed up there. Looking at the page now it's a slideshow of bulls.
    Nonetheless good to know how to avoid it.

That's grand so, I did as Arciphel recommended so that must have reverted to the previous pictures then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

I am against "Theft" of images under any circumstances, but if you display images on a site to which the public have access you must EXPECT them to be "lifted" in some manner (if they are any good)!
    It's like putting a working LCD TV outside your front door with a sign saying "Stealing me is not allowed".
    Also I have often seen great images displayed on various sites without any clear indication as to who owns them and how to contact the owner. If copyright and contact details are displayed on the web page and, probably more importantly in File info / IPTC header in Photoshop it removes any excuses for not seeking permission.
    Another question I often ask Photographers moaning about Photographs being Copied / Downlaoded is: Do YOU download or copy music or software from bootleg sources?? Very few people are squakey clean.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

The BBC are using a load of my images via the flickr API. They didn't ask permisson but as the images were taken at a concert & the T's & C's of entry state that I shouldn't bring a camera with me I guess I can't complain! Also I've recorded tons of stuff off both BBC radio & tv over the years.

On the other hand - I had an image on flickr that got linked to a blog that I wasn't happy about, so I emailed the blogger & he removed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

What interests me a lot is how you manage to find links to your work on other peoples' blogs. I rummaged a bit after reading this thread and found this:

http://luncheonroll.wordpress.com/2009/02/02/clouds-clouds-clouds/#more-1334

Since the person who blogged my photo references my name and Flickr account, and more importantly, since nobody else seems to have looked at the photo in question much, I'm happy to leave it there.

Professional photographers must spend a lot of time working out where work is being posted in an irregular manner...

One tip, if you find a link in a Google post to one of your photos, hit the "similar posts" button or place "related:" in the address bar. It leads to interesing sites relevant to photography and design.

Perhaps Google is also part of this complex world of "borrowed" photos? (And yes, I know that I should write "stolen". Euphemisms are meant to be ironic.)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

aye flickr is a harvesting ground for images... i get quite alot nabbed in blogs, one or two in wikipedia now, usually they ask me tho in fairness... one of two of a rather dashing model gets lifted quite often. you upolad them to these sites you have to accept that they will be nabbed at some point, a risk i accept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Arciphel wrote: »
    This happened to me before as well, some wedding pics I had taken ended up on an Irish tourism website via the Flickr API. Because my images had "Abbeyleix" in the tags, they got pulled into the Abbeyleix page on the website :confused: without my permission.

To solve this, just go to your flickr account, click "You" --> "Your account", then click onto "Privacy & Permissions". In there , six lines down, click edit on the line that says "Hide your stuff from public searches", then click the box that says "Hide your photostream from searches on 3rd party sites that use the API?" Then you're done and this won't happen you again ;)

Just revisiting this again. I followed the above instruction last week to test it out, but both today and yesterday i got hits on my flickr via google images. Search for "how to take pictures of car light streams at night" and the 3rd result will take you back to me.
    It doesn't particularly bother me but i though the above instructions would have cut this out...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

What harm as long as they link to your flickr. If they copied or saved your photos and used them and no credit / link then that is poor form and wrong.

I like when people use my photos in blogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

What harm as long as they link to your flickr. If they copied or saved your photos and used them and no credit / link then that is poor form and wrong.

I like when people use my photos in blogs.

It doesn't bother me in the slighest. If it did i wouldn't upload it or else I would watermark it. I just thought i would point out that flickrs own settings mighn't necessarily work perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The problem about taking someones images, and using their hosting, is that all they have to do is change the name of a vulgar picture, and ***bing*** the picture of a fluffy duck that you're stealing suddenly turns into a picture of Braveheart beheading someone.

Unsure about bandwidth costs for flikr, but some image hosting sites have a cap for the amount of bandwidth they give you, thus the above is quite common for certain hosting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

All my stuff on flickr is licenced CC anyway, so I'm not very bothered about people using it, but I wish they'd let me know. I'm just interested to see where it pops up. Some of it (mostly cars) has appeared in Wikipedia commons, and a few blogs around the place (one from the wall street journal, but at least they let me know they were using it :)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Just revisiting this again. I followed the above instruction last week to test it out, but both today and yesterday i got hits on my flickr via google images. Search for "how to take pictures of car light streams at night" and the 3rd result will take you back to me.
    It doesn't particularly bother me but i though the above instructions would have cut this out...?

I suspect that Google crawlers don't reference the Yahoo! flickr API - they are probably crawling http://www.flickr.com and all sub links and are only displaying what comes across that publicly available stream. If I am correct then any changes to your settings in flickr won't be reflected in the search engines.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

http://www.samrethsingh.com/2009/05/19/ipod-nano-5g/

no sooner did i post my last comment than i got a email from the blogger of this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement