Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Smaller Teams?

• 15-05-2009 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭

I used often play the original F1 game for the Playstation, the one based on the 1995 season and indeed it was that game that got me into watching F1 for real and getting into the technical aspects of it all.

Anyway through it I read up a bit on the smaller teams in the sport - Pacific, Forti, Simtek, Minardi...in fact they all used the Ford ED V8 that year.

Does anyone on here have a favourite small team from past years?

I liked the Pacific cars but never saw them race at all and have always been fascinated by that Ford ED V8 engine but there's so little info on it out there - can anyone help (sidenote there!).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Iridium

Arrows for me.

The end of the Hungarian GP of 1997 was heartbreaking. They might even still be in F1 if it weren't for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah really liked Orange Arows. Always had a soft spot for Minardi and Paul Stoddart what a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

Fabio wrote: »
    I liked the Pacific cars but never saw them race at all and have always been fascinated by that Ford ED V8 engine but there's so little info on it out there - can anyone help (sidenote there!).

Did you mean the DFV engine?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosworth_DFV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Nah not the DFV...so much info out there on that though!

The ED was different...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Fabio wrote: »
    Nah not the DFV...so much info out there on that though!

The ED was different...

But it was based on the DFV i think. Obviously it had been developed and had more advanced technology on it than the original DFV but the basic architecture was the same i think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Minardi and Simtek for me.

Do Jordan count as a small team? They certainly were at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Minardi all the way. Starting to feel for the Force India now. I think it's a natural reaction for people to root for the underdog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I feel for Fisichella more than I feel for Force India. I think he deserves a better drive. I don't really care about Force India but I think I don't really find anything in the team to identify with and I don't like the use of the word Force in the name.

Not great reasons but I don't have any reason to support them either other than they won't win which isn't a great reason either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

Always liked the Stewart team. I still remember that 2nd in Monaco like it was last year. Jackie was in tears as Rubens finished behind Schumacher. And who could forget Herberts win at the Nurbergring in 99. Thats the sort of passion that F1 is missing these days and aren't likely to see if the likes of Toyota picks up a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Force India ! - im always rooting for 'em.

Points are on the way I expect. Hungary or so i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

I liked Stewart Grand Prix. They achieved a lot in such a short space of time in Formula 1 including a race win with Johnny Herbert..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

I was a fan of Ligier; hoped for great things when Prost took over and Panis and Trulli shone at times in 1997 but alas 1998 was a disaster.

The 1998 Arrows was a beautiful car but Tom Walkinshaw never got the best out of the package.

I was a huge fan of Stewart but never took to the Jaguar operation and I have no grá for the Red Bull operation now.

Will always love Minardi! Forza Faenza!

BTW, the original "Formula 1" for the Playstation (1995) was an AWESOME game. Is there an emulation one can download for the PC?

Advertisement