Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provisional A licence

• 15-05-2009 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a provisional A licence and I'm just a bit confused by it all.

So I was wondering if I need to do the theory test when I 've previously had provisional A1 although it was about 10 years ago.

Comments

You need to do the theory test whenever you add a category to your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

I had a full a1 for 5 years, Went into the tax office a few days ago to get an A,They litteraly took my license and 15 bucks, thats it (the license was expired even) in return i got a 2nd provisional A so that was nice of em. No theory test needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

it was brought in that u have to do a theory test once as long as u pass it, pass the theory and it stays on ur file and u can apply for learners permit then. I had a full B licence and had to do theory test when i wanted to start on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Oh well looks I'll be doing the test....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Lilliput69 wrote: »
    I had a full B licence
    Omg :o .

• Advertisement

gears wrote: »
    Oh well looks I'll be doing the test....:(

The theory test is simple,it's more of a formality than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Lilliput69 wrote: »
    u have to do a theory test once as long as u pass it, pass the theory and it stays on ur file and u can apply for learners permit then.

When I got the theory for the car I ticked the box for a bike and I got it. I got my full b licence a couple of years after and the bike slot is empty does that mean I can just apply for the bike permit ? Or do I have to sit the test again?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Dboy85 wrote: »
    When I got the theory for the car I ticked the box for a bike and I got it. I got my full b licence a couple of years after and the bike slot is empty does that mean I can just apply for the bike permit ? Or do I have to sit the test again?:confused:

You are in the same situation as me last week,

I just went into the tax office, explained the situation, and they simply checked that I wasn't lying about holding the provisional a few years ago, So all I had to do was fill out a renewal form and the lady put *license already on file* at the top of my sheet and they sent me out my license.

It was a bit frustrating explaining the situation but at least it saved me having to do it again :)

hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Your a topper :D Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I want to apply for my provisional A license (already have full car license) and it turns out I did my theory just over 5 years ago :P so gotta do it again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement