Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus €3.50 busfare

• 15-05-2009 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

If you get the 33 bus, it'll cost you €3.50 to go from the city centre to anywhere north of Swords. (This bus goes all the way to Balbriggan)

If you get the same bus for a journey of 5 minutes anywhere along this suburban route, it'll cost you €2.30.

Does anyone else think this is too dear?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

My experiences of Dublin Bus and Dublin transport in general is that whatever fair is charged is too much given the poor frequency of services, poor comfort on the buses and general all round nonsense involved with it.

So yes, I would agree that 3.50EUR is too much for the services provided in my experience (I've not taken the #33 though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 bobgob

If I have this right its an express bus you where on ie 33X.
    If so most people who get that bus every day would have a prepaid ticket and as such much cheaper.

The 2.30 is the minumim fare and is designed to keep the 5 minute merchants off the bus so that people who live north of Sorwds have a service.

Nobody ever said Dublin bus is perfect and I certinly dont speak for them but surely the fare should be put into perspective before you slate anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

The route 33 buses can depart for town anywhere from 10 minutes apart, to 1 hour 45 minutes between buses.

The timetable is arranged so that only the terminus time is given, you have to "guess" when the bus will reach your area.

Total journey time on empty roads is 1 hour 50 minutes. You can add an hour or two on to that if your in a hurry.

On Sunday, the time between buses is between 1 hour and 2 hours.

Sitting still for 2 hours doesn't do my knees any good I can tell you. It's a disgrace, they should be paying us.

bobgob wrote: »
    If I have this right its an express bus you where on ie 33X.

No, a regular 33
    bobgob wrote: »
    The 2.30 is the minumim fare and is designed to keep the 5 minute merchants off the bus so that people who live north of Sorwds have a service.

I agree but I do live north of swords and often have to travel that 5 or 10 minutes. I can travel on an urban bus from one side of the city to the other for that price, It should only cost the €1.15 or €1.60.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

Random wrote: »
    So yes, I would agree that 3.50EUR is too much for the services provided in my experience

If Dublin Bus was not subvented by the Government, you might be paying the guts of a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 bobgob

I stand corrected,

Dont envy you that trip, get some knee warmers or better still get a tent brrrrrrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

bazzer wrote: »
    If Dublin Bus was not subvented by the Government, you might be paying the guts of a tenner.
    I don't rate their service and don't use it as it is due to the sheer conveinence (or lack of) of it. Maybe if it was a tenner and the service was decent then I'd pay it... who knows.

Maybe I'm just too used to seeing citys like Munich, Moscow, New York with decent systems (they're not perfect either I'm sure, people will point out faults - but I can't fault them in comparison to Dublin Bus).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

chompy wrote: »
    If you get the 33 bus, ....

Buy a pre-paid ticket: http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/

For example, both of these adult tickets would save money on the above:

10 Journey Travel 90 Adult €18.00
    • Valid for 10 journeys of 90 minutes unlimited travel
    • Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Xpresso (excluding Airlink, Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services)
    • No CIE photo ID required
      Buy Now
    Rambler 30 Day Adult €100.00
    • Valid for unlimited travel for 30 non-consecutive days
    • Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Airlink and Xpresso (excluding Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services)
    • No CIE photo ID required
      Buy Now

Thanks Monument, I forgot about the 90 minute tickets, I usually buy a rambler ticket for the day for €6. The local shop has them most days.

It's a bit like "Deliverance" up in the north county sometimes, mostly swampland with the occasional banjo player sitting at the crossroads, and that's only the main street!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thanks Monument, I forgot about the 90 minute tickets, I usually buy a rambler ticket for the day for €6. The local shop has them most days.

Go for the 5-day or 30-day tickets, that brings down the daily cost to €4 or €3.33.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I agree but I do live north of swords and often have to travel that 5 or 10 minutes.
    It should only cost the €1.15 or €1.60.
    A quick look at the DB website seems to indicate that normal fares do actually apply in the areas you seem to be on about.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

cast_iron wrote: »
    A quick look at the DB website seems to indicate that normal fares do actually apply in the areas you seem to be on about.:confused:

If you check the bottom of the timetable you'll see the "outer suburban" fare notice which applies to the section of the route past Hearse Road.

There is a different fare structure for some Dublin Bus routes - 33, 33A, 65, 66, 67A, 84 and 184, due to their long distance.

Of course, as previously mentioned, you can make great savings by using a prepaid ticket.

Advertisement