Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What on earth is munching my carrot seedlings???

Options
  • 15-05-2009 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Does anyone know what could be nibbling away at my carrot seedlings?? My first lot this year got munched shortly after they came up, so I sowed another lot, they came up nicely and was delighted - then this lot have been gobbled too!!

They're in a raised border, with a big grill over the top to stop birds, deer, rabbits etc getting to them. This one is a mystery!!

They had a go at my parsnips too. So far they've not touched the potatoes or leeks. I've just got some peas, chard and lettuce coming up now and will be livid if they go too!!

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SoldOut

Probably Slugs, they'll eat carrot seedlings. You'd want to watch young peas and lettuce too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If you go out after dark with a torch you will probaly find the beasties and dispose of them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Surely, carrot fly no?
    I've got about two square yards of carrots up doing nicely at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 The Lolo

hummm....I shall go out and investigate later! I certainly haven't seen any slugs in there so far, but that doesn't mean they are not doing the damage. What do carrot fly look like? and would they be able to munch all the green and leave the root?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

carrot fly will eat parsnips too, where are they damaging the plants? the stems or the roots? as its larvae of the carrot fly that does the damage, and its underground resulting in the carrot being eaten and the stems looking wilted and brown . They are yellow maggots. You need nets over them before they develop, putting up nets now could be like closing the door after the horse has bolted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 The Lolo

Thnkyou for all your replies - I'm off to get some organic slug repellent and some fine netting.

I think it must be slugs as the carrots are far to underdeveloped and small to be carrot fly. But I will guard against them.

Hopefully it'll be third time lucky with my carrots!!!

Advertisement