Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High wattage CFL's - Help?

Options
  • 15-05-2009 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.
    Been searching quite a few home depot type shops recently. Woodies in Lucan, Atlantic Homecare in Blanchardstown and those surrounding but I can't find high wattage compact flourescent bulbs anywhere, preferably the spiral ones.

I'm looking for a 40 watt, or a 43 watt as they are in the US for some reason. Any ideas on where to get them? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What do you need them for?

You can get spiral ones that are 20W which would be equivalent to about 100W incandescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Davy wrote: »
    You can get spiral ones that are 20W which would be equivalent to about 100W incandescent.

Yeah, I've seen them but am looking for the 40 watt's aswell.

It's an experiment on intense market gardening.
    Testing soils, light exposure, power and duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Try the likes of

http://cgi.ebay.ie/105w-525w-equiv-Compact-Fluorescent-Bulb-5500k-CFL_W0QQitemZ250424474345QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_StudioEquipment_RL?hash=item250424474345&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

They sell these on ebay for photographic work. Caution - I have no idea if they are suitable for use over a long period. You will have to be careful about heat, I'd imagine.

It might be worth looking at other types of growing lamp on ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

For some reason I could never figure out its very rare to see a CFL above 23W (120 in old money) however I did see a filling station in Antrim selling 30w (supposedly equivalent to 150) ones. Mind you they were selling for something like £6 which is a lot of money for a CFL nowadays (then again one could pay £15 a few years back)

Although TBH I think the figures quoted for "Incandecent equivalent" are a bit exxaguated anyway. I tend to look at what size a bulb is supposedly equivalent to and then go for the next size up.

Anyone know why high wattage CFL's are so hard to come by given that 150w and even 200w Incandecents are widely available ? I mean surely there is all more reason for using them at these power levels ?
    It's an experiment on intense market gardening.
    Id better not ask..........:D

Bumpity Bump, can they really not be bought over 23 watt anywhere in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

BJC wrote: »
    Bumpity Bump, can they really not be bought over 23 watt anywhere in Ireland?

I think their is a 26W. Try a good wholesalers. See the sticky if you need ideas

Yeah, I've seen the 26w but still no good to me.
    Can't find anything from the links page. I'm more amazed than disspapointed, I can source another light source of the same power I'm just amazed that it seems very likely that CFL's over 23 or 26 watts are just not commercially available in this country.

I did find one Irish site selling 85w tripple biax CFL's but that's too much in power and price unfortunatley as I'll be buying in relative bulk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i got a few 30watt BC from 'cpc' a while back.i think i saw some fairly large ones about 35watt ES in flaherty markets also if i remember correctly

davelerave wrote: »
    i got a few 30watt BC from 'cpc' a while back.i think i saw some fairly large ones about 35watt ES in flaherty markets also if i remember correctly

yeah, Flaherty markets have a 32 watt which is perfect except its only 2 and 4 pin block fittings.

I will change the fixtures on my set up if I need to.
    Hopefully I'll find them with a screw or regular fitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

not to be defeated heres a 60watt screw-in i goggled .4000 lumens equivalent to a 300watt bulb:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement