Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mdf Box What to use joining the sides together

Options
  • 15-05-2009 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Just doing a small bit of diying at the mo, bought some mdf cut it equal sides and was hoping to make a little storage box, my only problem is that I tried attching the pieces together with ordinary little thin panel nails bought when i hammer into the mdf to join the sides of the box together it damages the mdf, what else can I use to keep the side together, would i be better with thin short screws with braces, i want something that wont split or open the mdf when the nail or screw goes through it thanks in advance,

Spartan 33

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 12A

What thickness is the MDF you are using

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

its 9mm thick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

consider 1 by 1 pao white deal in the internal corners and glue

9mm hard to deal with

if u can get the 1 by one spit into 2 triangular pieces then better

Is it high enough to hide the heinken:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

12mm angle brackets plus 6mm screws if you are butt joining the MDF plus some glue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

Thanks guys for all the replies might go the angle bracing option like one of you suggsted, wont be buying 9mm again lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

9mm is v thin, use think screws 3mm max pref 50 long along with wood glue. To stop splitting predrill the holes before you screw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Special glue, called Mitre Bond, perfect for MDF.

Dry in 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

With 9mm MDF I'd have used 1" pins.

Predrill with a 1mm bit and use glue.

Advertisement