Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claim VAT from Northern Ireland

• 15-05-2009 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

I've recently had to have a lot of work done to my car (Thanks Motorvation <sarcasm>). I priced around and found that a garage in Portadown was the best value. I'm paying in sterling but live in the south. Can I claim the vat back in any way as a person, not a business?

Rgds!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

NO! not unless your vat registered, then you shouldn't pay the UK vat in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

What makes you think you'll be entitled to tax back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 LogMeOut

When you travel internationally and buy stuff you often get to claim the vat back when leaving the country. N.I. is a different country. I'm thinking it must only be relevant be outside the EU..? Anyway, thanks, 3 people have confirmed what I was hoping wouldn't be the case. I better save up another weeks wages...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I think that was the purpose behind creating the EU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 LogMeOut

Thanks Skyuser. I think there may also have been a couple of other reasons for the creation of the EU.

Advertisement