Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luke Hess - Light In The Dark (a short appreciation thread)

• 15-05-2009 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭

mayhap this type of thing would normally go into a sub thread type thing somewhere but anyway, it's Friday :)

I'd not be too knowledgeable on the genre/sub genre Dub Tech but I'm enjoying Luke Hess - Light In The Dark enough over the past few days to post a note and say that it's worth a spin if you're inclined towards that kind of thing.

party on :)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Excellent track, thanks for the heads up... have just bought the CD on the strength of that track and the fact the album is on Echocord which is an amazing label. And of course boomkat with their seductive review (as always)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

yea boomkat totally make you want to try it don't they.

I've had this on my mp3 player and in the car for the last few days almost on constant loop and it just keeps growing on me.

Subjective bit here but imho it's like what the recent Ben Klock album could have been.

I get so easily led into hitting 'buy!' after reading their reviews alright.

I think the Ben Klock album is great in its own right, its more techno than dub techno.

There have been several excellent dub techno albums released over the last year or so and its great to see more of them coming. Echospace seem to have created a complete new wave of the genre.

One to mention also while I think of it is the album 'Unknown Exception' by Andy Stott, great release...

http://www.discogs.com/Andy-Stott-Unknown-Exception-/release/1440051

Some convincing words from the guys at boomkat...
    Andy Stott has developed a unique sound since his debut for the Modern Love label back in 2005. His first demos were heavily influenced by the square-bassline techno variations of Claro Intelecto, a longtime friend, mentor and eventually labelmate and collaborator. His first release, 'Replace' featured a mixture of disciplines that took in elements of Detroit Techno and Chicago House which fast captured peoples imagination with intuitive, warm melodies and fathomless bass weight. From that point on Stott continued to shift and adapt his sound to take in ever disparate influences, from the driving techno of Dave Clarke's 'Red' series through to Basic Channel, Dubstep, Garage and the minimalism of classic Sahko. His restless shift from traditional Techno blueprints through to the bottom-heavy signatures of dubstep and the steppers arrangements of garage have also placed him at the forefront of the dubstepXtechno hybrid sounds that have started to dominate the electronic music scene in 2008 alongside the likes of Martyn, Peverelist and T++. This compilation brings together selected tracks dating back to Andy Stott's debut back in 2005 and reaching all the way to his most recent material in 2008 - with none of them ever available on cd until now. Tracks feature here from the 'Replace', 'Ceramics', 'Handle With Care', 'Hostile', "Bad Landing', "Fear Of Heights', 'Massacre' and 'Nervous' EP's and stream through his fascination with deep, almost uncontainable basslines and ever inventive percussive shifts. The man really is a bit of a hero round these parts, and we consider 'Unknown Exception' required listening for any of you interested in the bass progressions and deviations where Techno, House, Dub and Garage collide to shift things to the next level. ESSENTIAL PURCHASE.
    http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=117064

ah man, that's sweet music and new to me. Got half way through 'Credit' and new realised that a purchase would be made this weekend. Thanks for this. Dub Techno is really grabbing me at the moment so getting a handle on some great new music is muchly appreciated.

• Advertisement

I'd been meaning to start a dub techno thread as there is just too little mention of it! Maybe just not dance-floor friendly enough, I dunno :confused:

Anyway, another one to definitely check out - Convextion
    Gerard Hanson was born in 1972. He hails from the unlikely environments of Dallas, Texas USA. Little is known about this producer who seems to have Scandinavian roots. His productions have reflections with Basic Channel/Chain Reaction sound. His main inspirations are Juan Atkins and Derrick May. His music also has influences from Stefan Robbers, Red Planet and Carl Craig. He found a way where everything came together: Deepness, Minimalism and Soul, the Detroit-Berlin connection. In 1994 Gerard Hanson and Dan Kurzius started ‘Hardsync’, a Magazine dedicated to electronic music reviews and artist interviews. It has been defunct since 1996 as a result of a computer crash. Hard Sync was an outlet for several Texas-based electronic music enthusiasts to reach out to others around the world that shared similar musical interests. He released his first 12" in 1995. Ever since his debut 12" on Matrix in 1995. From 1995-1997, he released 5 ep’s, and then only 2 more in the next 6 years until 2005. The reason he produced so infrequently was because when his first releases came out, the tracks were licensed to some big releasers and he did not get paid for them. After that some other labels approached him but just wanted more of the same and didn't really seem to understand his sound. They just wanted more of the same sounds. After that he stopped releasing music and produced only for his personal usage. After a couple of years the label Down Low convinced him to pick up his producing again. He is very careful about sharing his music with the rest of the world. In the last decade he only used the aliases Convextion and E.R.P. (Event Related Potential). E.R.P is an electro-edged moniker. Gerard has remained willingly anonymous since his debut in 1995, but he came out of obscurity for a debut European Live performance in London in April 2006. Why he remains unknown is a mystery. In the future we will hear much more from this producer. http://www.discogs.com/artist/Convextion

This is a pretty hard to find album now but I picked up a copy from Amazon.com as I couldn't find anywhere else, well worth it though...

http://www.amazon.com/Convextion/dp/B001GMVBCC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1242471221&sr=8-1

And of course some text from boomkat...
    FIRST TIME ON CD!!!! If you've been raised on a diet of Basic Channel, Maurizio, Deep Chord, Carl Craig, Model 500 and so on, no doubt this album will have been top of your wishlist for the last decade. Gerard Hanson, aka Convextion, has allowed only four EP's baring his name to be given a release since his seminal debut twelve dropped on the Matrix label all the way back in 1996. That's a measly 11 tracks in ten years - and what tracks..some of the finest, most soulful Techno ever produced. To suddenly be given 8 new tracks from the guy could hardly be more exciting - coupled with the hightened activity over at Berlin's Hardwax and all its connections to the hallowed Basic Channel, plus the first rumblings of new material from Rod Modell's Deep Chord, 2006 may just end up being remembered as the year Techno went way deep again. ESSENTIAL PURCHASE. *THE PRESSING IS NOW COMPLETELY SOLD OUT AT SOURCE - WE HAVE 75 COPIES LEFT AND THAT'S IT - HURRY!!!*
    http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=96181

As per above actually, if you haven't already, make sure to check out the pioneers of this sound, Basic Channel... And all of their aliases plus labels!

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Basic+Channel

hola Felixdhc,

been meaning to say thanks for the heads up on the new music. I've spent a few days checking some of this stuff out and spending some money. At some point I may have gotten lost over at Basic Channel, which is nice :)

If you ever felt like starting a general dub techno thread it would be tres cool.

Good stuff...

If you are spending some money on Basic Channel, the following two CD's are a good place to start... assuming it's CD's you buy anyway!

http://www.discogs.com/Basic-Channel-BCD/master/1313

http://www.discogs.com/Basic-Channel-BCD-2/release/1345423

You will find with the original Basic Channel stuff that it is nowhere near as melodic as what it has since evolved into but essential stuff when it comes to dub techno.

Yeah I must start a dub techno thread when I get a chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Good stuff...

Always liked that stuff, I got Phylyps Track when it originally came out which got me into that sound-for some fun try dropping dub reggae tracks into the mix, you can get some interesting results....on another point, I'd love some of those dex featured on the youtube clips!

francois wrote: »
    Always liked that stuff, I got Phylyps Track when it originally came out which got me into that sound-for some fun try dropping dub reggae tracks into the mix, you can get some interesting results....on another point, I'd love some of those dex featured on the youtube clips!

Yeah I can imagine some dub dropped over some dub techno works a treat.

Some of the straight up electronic dub coming from the likes of Deadbeat in more recent years is amazing too...

Yeah lovely turntables alright, that youtube member puts up some seriously good tracks and always uses turntable images..

http://www.youtube.com/user/silverdale247

• Advertisement
Advertisement