Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't Get Eircom Broadband

Options
  • 15-05-2009 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

My local exchange was just enabled for broadband. I'm two miles from the exchange. Other people in the area can get it and ordered but yet when I do the line check on the eircom site it tells me my line is not suitable for broadband. I rang the sales department and they told me to keep checking but she told me that I wasn't an eircom customer. My phone is actually with UTV. Would this stop/delay me from getting broadband off them? Should I change back to them to get it faster maybe?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you anything attached to the line other than the phone itself? If you test the number on the Eircom site what does it say? Having your calls with UTV should not make any difference. What sort of speeds do you get on dial up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭iamlegend2008

Hi

Not sure but it also could be that you have a "carrier line" which means that your line is split between multiple customers which makes it unsuitable for broadband (but fine for voice).

You can normally tell if this is the case by looking on the telephone pole so see if there is some kind of box on it. Do a search on carrier line on this forum for more info.

If this is the case, all may not be lost. Eircom have an offer on at the moment until May 21st where they will install a new line for free. You should specify that this line will be used for broadband.

Finally, if Eircom have enabled the exchange, then you dont need to get your broadband from Eircom and its likely that you will be contacted by BT or others in the following days with similar offers.

However, only Eircom can solve the problem if its related to the carrier line.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Its say on the site "Your line is not suitable for broadband" dub45. Also at the moment I have wireless broadband with permanet.

Don't think my line is split iamlegend2008. I'm out in the countryside 2 miles from the village (exchange). It only came on line in the last week or so, so maybe I just have to wait a little longer to be connected?

Hi Antrip

If your line is split, it has nothing do do with the enabling of the exchange and you would not know it was split unless you checked.

Cheers

Hi Antrip

If your line is split, it has nothing do do with the enabling of the exchange and you would not know it was split unless you checked.

Cheers

Thanks iamlengent2008

You mentioned that they can put in a free line if its the case, but would you be charged for the two lines (rental) ?

• Advertisement

Hi

Yes you would be charged but you cancel the original line as soon as the new one is working.

You may end up with a new telephone number at the end of it.

Cheers

Hi

Yes you would be charged but you cancel the original line as soon as the new one is working.

You may end up with a new telephone number at the end of it.

Cheers

Wouldn't mind that. Thanks for the help

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

AntiRip wrote: »
    Its say on the site "Your line is not suitable for broadband" dub45. Also at the moment I have wireless broadband with permanet.

Don't think my line is split iamlegend2008. I'm out in the countryside 2 miles from the village (exchange). It only came on line in the last week or n so, so maybe I just have to wait a little longer to be connected?

When you say it only came on line in the last week or so do you mean that the exchange has only just been enabled? If so it may be the case that your line has not been tested yet in the monthly Eircom test and if this is the case you will not get a pass on the line. So give it a couple of weeks before ordering another line unless you can confirm in some way that it has been tested. By the way the csr's do not appear to be familiar with this test so dont rely on what they tell you.

dub45 wrote: »
    When you say it only came on line in the last week or so do you mean that the exchange has only just been enabled? If so it may be the case that your line has not been tested yet in the monthly Eircom test and if this is the case you will not get a pass on the line. So give it a couple of weeks before ordering another line unless you can confirm in some way that it has been tested. By the way the csr's do not appear to be familiar with this test so dont rely on what they tell you.

Hi dub45, the exchange has only been enabled in the last week or two as far as I know so thats what I'm thinking. If I ring them and keep letting them know I'm interested I may get it over th next few weeks.

Hi

Not sure but it also could be that you have a "carrier line" which means that your line is split between multiple customers which makes it unsuitable for broadband (but fine for voice).

You can normally tell if this is the case by looking on the telephone pole so see if there is some kind of box on it. Do a search on carrier line on this forum for more info.

If this is the case, all may not be lost. Eircom have an offer on at the moment until May 21st where they will install a new line for free. You should specify that this line will be used for broadband.

Finally, if Eircom have enabled the exchange, then you dont need to get your broadband from Eircom and its likely that you will be contacted by BT or others in the following days with similar offers.

However, only Eircom can solve the problem if its related to the carrier line.

Good luck.

It's indeed a carrier line. Pity now the offer is up tomorrow although I will still check if I can get the free line :)

• Advertisement

Don't want to post another thread but does anyone know eircoms contention ratio? can't see it on the site. Also their upload speed is terrible even for the 7mb package..

Coming from an uncapped company, I don't know can I handle the 50gb cap. I probably come nowhere near it but I know I'll be always checking it.

So, if anyone can help, contention? enforcement of cap?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

you may be in for a long wait from eircom before they pass your line. My exchange was upgraded last November, but after constantly checking my line since then, it only passed at the end of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Don't want to post another thread but does anyone know eircoms contention ratio? can't see it on the site. Also their upload speed is terrible even for the 7mb package..

Coming from an uncapped company, I don't know can I handle the 50gb cap. I probably come nowhere near it but I know I'll be always checking it.

So, if anyone can help, contention? enforcement of cap?

Thanks
    afaik the contention is 24:1 on 7mb and eircom never enforce the cap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hehe ;)

screenie.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It's indeed a carrier line. Pity now the offer is up tomorrow although I will still check if I can get the free line :)
    i thought eircom were not supposed to have any of these carrier lines?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i thought eircom were not supposed to have any of these carrier lines?

Well I have one anyway.

[quote=PogMoThoin
    ][/quote]

Holy crap PogMoThoin! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Eircom and their carrier lines....

I had one and was continuosly told by eircom that i was NOT on one. About four times i had the same conversation with the reps.
    Eventually i got a favor from an eircom engineer i knew and got myself taken off it.

Another way i heard (not too sure on this one) was to order an ISDN line into the house and cancel your original. Seemingly (and this is the part i'm unsure off) the ISDN line needs to be a pure line due to the capability of running at 128 Kbs.) this could me more old school though and may not be needed anymore. Might be worth a look at if all else fails.

Trig

Triangle wrote: »
    Eircom and their carrier lines....

I had one and was continuosly told by eircom that i was NOT on one. About four times i had the same conversation with the reps.
    Eventually i got a favor from an eircom engineer i knew and got myself taken off it.

Another way i heard (not too sure on this one) was to order an ISDN line into the house and cancel your original. Seemingly (and this is the part i'm unsure off) the ISDN line needs to be a pure line due to the capability of running at 128 Kbs.) this could me more old school though and may not be needed anymore. Might be worth a look at if all else fails.

Trig

Well I've rang 4 times in the last 2 days. One told me I may be on a carrier line, 3 others told me they couldn't tell me. One told me that if I knew an eircom engineer in the area to talk to him. So basically no satisfaction at all off them.

Advertisement