Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home content insurance ??

Options
  • 15-05-2009 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Sorry for ignorance.

Heard few horrible stories of apartment/ house break ins and theft.
    I want 2 ho ahead with home content insurance. Called insurance company and got a quote of €160 for up to €25,000. Fine
    :confused: But my query is how does it work. God forbid, it something happens tomorrow and i want to claim contents. How would they calculate list of contents. Say, how do they know I have wedding ring worth €€ or say plasma TV or anything else valuable for the matter.
    Please some one put light on that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Anything over a certain value must be specified. Otherwise, it's just listed as contents.

I've never had to claim, thankfully, so don't know specifics about anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

You can specify items over a certain value, it would be requested that you specify anything over (for example) €2000 in value. You might also have to specify bicycles and pay extra for them.

Have a look around your home and do a quick tot of the value of things and see if €25k would cover you.........you can always increase the amount insured to say €40k. Think, TV, hi-fi, laptop, couch, bed, pots and pans ........................everything!!! You need to have enough to cover you to start from scratch if you had to.

You also need to go through the info with your insurance company as each policy is different and read the T&C, or general conditions even, online if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

if you have a video camera, walk around your flat videping everything you own. Store the tape at a friends place. This can be very handy if you ever need to claim - it only takes five mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Insurance Companies would like you to specify any individual item or collection of items of a similare nature that would exceed a certain percentage of your overall sum insured, usually around 10%. This is what is then known as an 'agreed value' and saves the hassle of establishing the amount of compensation in the event of a claim
    After that, it is down to trust. If you declare you had it and it has been stolen, they will take your word for it, unless you give them reason to think otherwise.
    Obviously, if you claim for fairly new items such as expensive electrical goods and the like, they can reasonably ask you to provide receipts or direct them to the shop where you bought it to check their records. They are not trying to wriggle out of anything, but they have a duty to other policyholders, who also pay their premiums, that the claim is genuine.
    If it is water or fire damage or the like, well the damaged property is still there to be assessed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

thanks guys, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

This is a good idea.

I took out insurance when renting to cover guitar, amp, game consoles etc.

I also mention the whole insurance thing to people that move into my house (under the rent a room scheme). I can't very well claim for 2 or 3 laptops if god forbid we get broken into and keep a straight face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

This is a good idea.

I took out insurance when renting to cover guitar, amp, game consoles etc.

I also mention the whole insurance thing to people that move into my house (under the rent a room scheme). I can't very well claim for 2 or 3 laptops if god forbid we get broken into and keep a straight face!
    Well you can't claim for other people's property anyway under your policy, even if you all share the one house. Each person needs their own cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

oldyouth wrote: »
    Well you can't claim for other people's property anyway under your policy, even if you all share the one house. Each person needs their own cover

Yeah, I know, insurable interest and all that, hence the straight face.

"Yes insurance man, I own a desktop, 3 laptops, two printers, two DS'..." :D

Advertisement