Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone a member of Castletroy Park Hotel gym?

• 15-05-2009 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Does anyone on here use the pool in Castletroy Park Hotel? Am in JJB at the mo but for a couple of reasons I'm looking for somewhere new. Mainly, due to the pool always being a bit busy, nothing major just lots of people hanging round in it making it hard to actually swim.

Casteltroy park is 58 a month as opposed to 45 a month in jjb so just trying to decide is it worth the extra. They said I can go in for a try out any time which I'll do over the weekend but I'd appreciate any feedback from people who go there? Is it nice in there? Clean? Busy? Many kids?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

50 metre pool at the UL sports arena

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

YFlyer wrote: »
    50 metre pool at the UL sports arena

ah i know yeah but it's just too packed(i know i sound like i hate people but i don't really, just like being able to swim in peace) and the changing rooms are mank and you can't have a proper shower afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I found the pool in the Castletroy Park very shallow - I much prefer to swim in deeper water. UL is currently doing a deal - 4 months membership for 125 euro which is pretty good I think - hopefully it will be quieter for the summer months when the students are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Meant to add - they have dedicated lanes for swimmers in UL - if you want to swim in peace. And they do have a couple of shower rooms where you can have a proper shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bored@workagain

im a memeber there ... i debated between ul and cph for bout 6 months there polar opposites in my opinion.
    ul is a bit cheaper the pool is better(but a bit long for me) and the selection of machines are better.
    The park is a decent gym with a few less machines and stuff but the real winner for me was the extra things after u do ur work out hit the steam room and sauna and its so relaxed and very quiet its soo sweet.Also its generally quiet and no fools who think they own da gym there all in all its different than ul but im happy with my choice
    Cant say bout jjb but here its similar to ul
    Mostly during the week its a mix alot of middle ages ppl
    not overly busy anytimes i miainly go bout 10 bells but obviously its a bit busier before 9
    No children except saturday mornin swim club thing .... kids as in 16/17 yr olds ...zero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

Thanks everyone, went down to cph yesterday to give it a try and really liked it. at a time when jjb would be really busy it was lovely and quiet. just a much nicer feel about the place, not as intimidating as jjb . have another 2 weeks in jjb before my 6 months are up so i'll have a think about it between now and then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Used to be a poster (Dirtyarse) on here, that swore by the cph gym...

He was adamant that it was a great gym

• Registered Users Posts: 26 leftwinger

The CPH gym has turned into a right kip lately. Overcrowded gym and filthy changing rooms. Time to find a new place to go for a workout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

What's the situation like now at Castletroy Park Hotel gym? Any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

11 years on and this thread refuses to die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Reading the opening post and seeing JJB gave me an awful blast from the past! I thougth the poster was being retro until I saw the date :pac:

Castleoaks Hotel recently updated their pool and gym facilities. Looks good in the photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What's the situation like now at Castletroy Park Hotel gym? Any good?

They recently did it up, ie New floors etc.

Changing rooms need a bit of work but other than that it’s fine.

Can get busy fast and if it does it’s a bit painful. The usual lad leaving his bottle on one machine while he uses another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

L-M wrote: »
    The usual lad leaving his bottle on one machine while he uses another.

Can't stand this tactic. I used go to a gym in town and there was a woman who would regularly do this with her towel. She'd actually walk in in the morning, leave her towel on a machine to "claim" it, then go into changing rooms to get ready. It's total selfishness and lack of respect for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just put it on the floor, what's wrong with ye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I did in the past and have no issue doing so. However not everyone is comfortable doing this and I've seen it lead to animosity and a bad vibe in a gym.

It's the knowledge that some people are uncomfortable removing someone's possessions from a machine that seems to encourage such selfishness from certain users. Poor form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I am a member of the castletroy park gym and to be honest it’s full of students in the evening. Very few machines. Changing rooms have to locks on the lockers. Could do with an upgrade. Good vibe there thought not intimidating and staff are very helpful. One thing is the pool is never too full. Mornings there are fab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Have any members heard anything from the gym?

They closed with Covid and didn’t send a courtesy email, and I presume they’ll open the same.

I just renewed for 6 months up front the week before they closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

They have posted on facebook that all memberships are paused and that after leo's speech on Friday they will be posting details about reopening on Monday.

Advertisement