Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub 3 in Berlin ??

• 15-05-2009 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

I have decided to start a thread. Ike is getting on to me for ages. I am heading to Berlin in September. Having running 4 marathon since I took up running just over 2 years ago.
    I have a PB of 3.04 in Rotterdam this year but I have alot of work to do to break the 3 hours.
    My diet is shocking since Rotterdam(6 weeks ago) and have a tendancy of putting up weight.
    I never thought I was that heavy so when I was 17st 4ibs in November 2006 on a weight watxhers scale i couldnt believe it. I decided to take it up and havent stopped since.

PBs include
    5 mile 29.34
    10km 37.52
    10 mile 62.32

I ran paris over 15st in apr last year in 3.24
    I am now under the 14st but have to get to 13st to break the 3 hours.
    A stricter diet and more speedwork are the call of the day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

welcome to the training logs, your times are really good , best of luck in breaking the cursed 3 , you should get lots of support here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

good luck. Based on those PBs a sub 3 attempt is definitely a realistic goal. Looking forward to reading your progress. Have you a schedule ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭OBWON

Best of luck with the log village runner. I will be very interested in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Best of luck VR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

good luck. Based on those PBs a sub 3 attempt is definitely a realistic goal. Looking forward to reading your progress. Have you a schedule ?

I dont have a schedule. I gave up the cigs last sat so i ran really hard all week just to show how far i have gone back in a month.
    I normally run a few 20 milers very early in the schedule(I ran a 19 miler christmas day before the dinner and couldnt eat it cos my stomach wasnt great after it) But I am always nervous of getting injured so I get two long ones done early so if i lose a few weeks I havent lost out.

General plan would be do a tempo run (8 miles at around 6.25) every 2nd week with 9 miles(3 miles at marathon pace, 3 miles at half marathon pace and 3 miles at 10km pace)every other week.
    12 x 400 metres or hill repeats every week. If i do a race I will omit the tempo depending on length of race.
    Long slow run at 8 min mile which i love. As the weeks go on I will do a 22 miler with 15 at 8 min mile and the other 7 at marathon pace.
    I might do 1 twenty miler at marathon pace but depends how i feel as if it dont work out it could have negative effects on the head.

I will do 50 miles a week and make sure I have an easy day or rest before a speed session. I used to run to many miles the day before a speed session and totally mess that up the following day.

Also plan is to do some hill work and fartlek which i have never done.

Anyone any advise on nutrition in simple terms I would appreciate. I am constantly stuffing my mouth and know if i got rid of ibs I would be quicker.

• Advertisement

asimonov wrote: »
    Best of luck VR.

Thanks for the best wishes.

Last weeks training was my hardest to date. Had to get the cigs out of the system

sat 10 miles at 8 min mile
    sun 8.5 miles at 8 min mile
    monday 9 miles( 3 miles at 6.50, 3 miles at 6.25, 3 miles at 6.10)
    tuesday 5 miles at 9 min miles
    wednesday 6 mile race 37.51. Tired after monday.
    Thursday 7.5 miles at 8 min mile
    friday 12 x 400m 1.19 each 400m with last one in 1.16. 1 mile warm up and 3.5 mile warm down
    Today a 10 min swim with a relaxing jacuzzi. Well deserved if i may so myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck, it looks like the ART forum will be well represented in Berlin.

I normally run a few 20 milers very early in the schedule(I ran a 19 miler christmas day before the dinner and couldnt eat it cos my stomach wasnt great after it) But I am always nervous of getting injured so I get two long ones done early so if i lose a few weeks I havent lost out.

Well done on giving up the cigies. Personally I wouldn't run the 20's early in the schedule. I would slowly build up to them. I would think that running the 20s without a slow build up to it could result in injury itself.
    I might do 1 twenty miler at marathon pace but depends how i feel as if it dont work out it could have negative effects on the head.
    I would definitely not do this. Maybe do 10 at 8 min pace then drop down to 10 at marathon pace (6.54). If you are able to pick up your pace as described above it's a real confidence booster.

Best of luck anyway and if you want to stay injury free don't forget the one day hard one day easy approach.

Well done on giving up the cigies. Personally I wouldn't run the 20's early in the schedule. I would slowly build up to them. I would think that running the 20s without a slow build up to it could result in injury itself.

I have a great base all year round so feel i am only 2 weeks away from doing a 20 miler at any time. would you still not advise it ? What if you get injured for 3 weeks when you are due to do your long ones ??

I would definitely not do this. Maybe do 10 at 8 min pace then drop down to 10 at marathon pace (6.54). If you are able to pick up your pace as described above it's a real confidence booster.

Point taken on that. You are probaly right. 4.15 km

Best of luck anyway and if you want to stay injury free don't forget the one day hard one day easy approach.
    Thats the one thing I swear by. Make sure I am fresh for the speed sessions.

Keep the advice coming.

Woddle wrote: »
    Best of luck, it looks like the ART forum will be well represented in Berlin.

What you mean by ART ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

What you mean by ART ???

athletics, running and triathlon forum

What you mean by ART ???

Athletics/running/triathlon :D

What you mean by ART ???

sorry double post

ART is short for athletics/running/triathlon !

On running the 20 milers early I still wouldn't advise it. I could probably go and run 20 miles myself in a short period of time but I don't think it benefits you. Also for me the 20 mile runs are the one that cause injury. The last 2 marathons I have trained for I probably ran too many 18+ mile runs. I am still nursing the injury from my last marathon so be sensible.

I personally think you get more benefit building up to it. I.e 2 weeks doing 14 miles, 2 weeks doing 16 miles, 2 weeks doing 18 etc. Obviously In between these you may decide to do a shorter run at the weekend to help recovery.

You need to be injury free and confident on the start line. To help confidence it helps if you have ran your last 20 mile run 3-4 weeks before the big day and not on week 3 or 4. Just my opinion, when it comes to marathon running I'm not an expert by any means though (2 recent injuries can attest to that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I have decided to start a thread. Ike is getting on to me for ages. I am heading to Berlin in September. Having running 4 marathon since I took up running just over 2 years ago.
    I have a PB of 3.04 in Rotterdam this year but I have alot of work to do to break the 3 hours.
    My diet is shocking since Rotterdam(6 weeks ago) and have a tendancy of putting up weight.
    I never thought I was that heavy so when I was 17st 4ibs in November 2006 on a weight watxhers scale i couldnt believe it. I decided to take it up and havent stopped since.

PBs include
    5 mile 29.34
    10km 37.52
    10 mile 62.32

I ran paris over 15st in apr last year in 3.24
    I am now under the 14st but have to get to 13st to break the 3 hours.
    A stricter diet and more speedwork are the call of the day.

Best of luck with it,village runner...your 5m and 10k times are around 30s better than me but your 10m is 2 mins better...so you are certainly right to aim for the sub 3...the faster you can do the longer ones are the best indicator on marathon pace ( i think )...good luck and i will be keeping tabs on you to see how you are doing.

Sosa wrote: »
    Best of luck with it,village runner...your 5m and 10k times are around 30s better than me but your 10m is 2 mins better...so you are certainly right to aim for the sub 3...the faster you can do the longer ones are the best indicator on marathon pace ( i think )...good luck and i will be keeping tabs on you to see how you are doing.

Heading to Villiarstown tomorrow but a tempo run. Hope to go around in 65. Putting more emphasis on hte track this time. Need to improve 10km times. They say you should break 38 min to have a go at 3 hours. I think its closer to 36.30

Will you go youghal nxt sunday ? Great course. Very fast course and plenty of grub after it. Park at the finish and jog up to the start.
    I aint at those times at this moment but in a month I hope to be back there.
    There is a 3 mile race in kk on friday at Woodies DIY at 7pm. I will do both. I wont do great times but I want a few races to sharpen myself up.

ART is short for athletics/running/triathlon !

On running the 20 milers early I still wouldn't advise it. I could probably go and run 20 miles myself in a short period of time but I don't think it benefits you. Also for me the 20 mile runs are the one that cause injury. The last 2 marathons I have trained for I probably ran too many 18+ mile runs. I am still nursing the injury from my last marathon so be sensible.

I personally think you get more benefit building up to it. I.e 2 weeks doing 14 miles, 2 weeks doing 16 miles, 2 weeks doing 18 etc. Obviously In between these you may decide to do a shorter run at the weekend to help recovery.

You need to be injury free and confident on the start line. To help confidence it helps if you have ran your last 20 mile run 3-4 weeks before the big day and not on week 3 or 4. Just my opinion, when it comes to marathon running I'm not an expert by any means though (2 recent injuries can attest to that)

I might do the training schedule on the lucozade supersix for sub 3.
    Do you recommend a track session every week ??
    12 x 400 or 8 x 600 etc.............
    What pace should you run at ? i was thinking 3km pace

Went to Villiarstown today. Tough ten miler but no as hard as my time stated.
    Finished in 65.23 which was nearly 3 min off my ballycotton time.
    I trained really hard all week and done a really tough interval friday so I was shattered early. Enjoyed it though and I love having to struggle early in the race and battle all the way. Makes my head stronger.

8.3 miles today at 8.10 a mile and it felt tough. Went with Ike and he picked up the pace with 1.5 miles to go knowing I was dead on my feet. Normally no matter how tired i was i would go with him but with interval tomorrow i held back. Todays effort was tough.

Tonight I went to the gym and did 30 minutes core and weights. Anything to get out of the house.

did 8 x 400 today.
    Made the mistake of doing the first one too hard in 1.15. Meant to run them in 1.19. The lad i did it with was wrecked after 6 so doing 2 more was tough although he did join me for the last one but stayed behind.
    1 mile warm up and 2 mile cool down.

After sunday I was very surprised i was able for 8 as I wasnt going to do it. Run hard again thursday and race in youghal sunday. There is a race in KK friday but i will jog around it.

• Advertisement

Handy 7 miles at 8 min mile pace today in the gym. Tempo tomorrow so wanted to stay fresh.
    30 min weights and core work.

the one I love to hate. The tempo. My training partners leg hurt so i said we woulod do it in the gym but no, the bugger wanted to go out side.
    ~Did 5.5 miles at 6.19 a mile so was happish with that. It felt every bit of it. I hate thinking about it but once it starts i enjoy it. Great to have a lad with me although he normally just lets me dictate the pace which i hate as when you are tired you cant push on. So when he picked it up today i went along for the ride.
    Easy day tomorrow and a swim on sat which i class as a day off as my swimming aint great

Friday
    Jogged around a 3 mile race at 7.35 a mile and did a 3 mile slow run after it.

Sat
    Easy weights, press up etc.
    I want to get more muscle to increase my metalbolism.

Sunday
    After 3.5 hours sleep as i aint home sat nights till after 4 i went to youghal to do the 10km Emer Casey run for my 3rd year. Such is life.
    Went to youghal. After my hardest ever two weeks training i wasnt that confident of a good time. Thinking more of a tempo run. That was till I seen Sonia o sullivan at the start line. All of a sudden i was not tired anymore. After going thru the first two miles in 5.41 each i felt that I would blow up. I found myself moving on in the 3rd mile. Went thru the 5 miles in 30 min flat and on course for a pb by 30 odd secons. But I knew i had a long drag and against a stiff wind the 6th mile wasnt pretty. 6.30 it took in the end which left me dead on my feet. A knee a 100 metres downhill stretch might get the legs going again. As I was 100 metres away i could see the clock. My pb was 37.52 and I went thru in 37.50 according to results although my watch said 37.47. A PB no matter what.
    After 3 races and four more speed sessions it was my hardest ever 14 days training. The cigarettes seem a distant memory although only 15 days so no point is getting cocky.
    This week its 12 x 400 tuesday and 6 mile tempo thursday.

Great time village runner ...i'm like a dog i could not go...i will be there next year.

37:50 is a great time..especially after your hard training and 3.5hrs sleep...i could not even function with anything less than 7.

Roll on Portlaw ...

You were saying that you did the first 2 quick and thought you would blow up...i like to go out hard and try keep it going and if i cant do that at least i have a few seconds in the bank to fall back on.

Sosa wrote: »
    Great time village runner ...i'm like a dog i could not go...i will be there next year.

37:50 is a great time..especially after your hard training and 3.5hrs sleep...i could not even function with anything less than 7.

Roll on Portlaw ...

You were saying that you did the first 2 quick and thought you would blow up...i like to go out hard and try keep it going and if i cant do that at least i have a few seconds in the bank to fall back on.

Depending on work i still might make friday. I will cut thursday session if ii do. If it was a longer race maybe the lack of sleep might be a hindrance.

I never went out that hard before. Maybe its something i might play around with.
    If I am going friday i will let you know.

Depending on work i still might make friday. I will cut thursday session if ii do. If it was a longer race maybe the lack of sleep might be a hindrance.

I never went out that hard before. Maybe its something i might play around with.
    If I am going friday i will let you know.

Yeah,let me know...
    are the results up on any site yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Just catching up on your log village runner.
    Congrats on your PB which after the lack of sleep which isn't easy I can tell you.
    You seem to be coming along nicely and on track for Berlin. But your long runs will be the key as you know..
    I'm not sure about a track session every week. Personnally I try and alternate track / tempo sessions each week. I found also by varing the track distances to 8 x 800m or 6 x 1k is beneficial
    How is your weight coming along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

My pb was 37.52 and I went thru in 37.50 according to results although my watch said 37.47. A PB no matter what.

Well done, great time, the opportunity of beating Sonia obviously did the trick and you beat her well!

well done VR, a good run so early on in training, good work on keeping off the fags too.

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    Just catching up on your log village runner.
    Congrats on your PB which after the lack of sleep which isn't easy I can tell you.
    You seem to be coming along nicely and on track for Berlin. But your long runs will be the key as you know..
    I'm not sure about a track session every week. Personnally I try and alternate track / tempo sessions each week. I found also by varing the track distances to 8 x 800m or 6 x 1k is beneficial
    How is your weight coming along?

Was delighted as i did not think i was in that shape. I need to get faster and the speedwork with raise my heartrate fro the day after a good session. Decided to change around my training.
    Will only do one lunch time session a tempo every week. Also i will now train mostly in hte night time. My reasoning for this is that I eat crap all night which is wrecking my head at the moment. I train really hard and its a waste. I started a food log today.
    I hope to do a tempo every week and hill/track session the other week.

the weight is 13st 12ibs which was the reasoning that I did not think i was in great shape. I have a half marathon in 3 weeks time and i hope to shed 6 ibs by then, but talk is cheap aint it.
    No desire to have a ciggie but am coughing quiet but it did not affect my running.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Well done, great time, the opportunity of beating Sonia obviously did the trick and you beat her well!

Thanks gringo.
    Beating a legend is a dream but in her prime I would have been just after going thru 5 miles when she would have crossed the line but its something I will always have. She makes it look so easy. Not a pick on her. I bet she wasnt eaating bars and buns after the race. Ha ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

just reading your training log for the first time.Just a thought but i think your 400m reps are much too fast.You should try increase the amount and reduce do them at your 5k pace.
    I will email you a programme i got a couple of years ago.

just reading your training log for the first time.Just a thought but i think your 400m reps are much too fast.You should try increase the amount and reduce do them at your 5k pace.
    I will email you a programme i got a couple of years ago.

Thanks Thirstywork. Always open to new suggestions.
    Awaiting that email. What makes you think I am going too fast. Wouldnt i be going to fast if i wanted to do 12 and only managed 6. I want to run the last one the quickest and have done that. It aint pretty though.

I find it good to have a good kick when you are tired etc.

This week to date

Monday 6.4 miles at roughly 8.40 a mile(tired from race and intervals in mind)

Tuesday 12 x 400m with 1 min recovery. Averaged 77.7 so was thrilled. 2 mile warm up and 3 mile warm down. Warm up in 7.40 a mile and warm down at around 8.35. Rough figures as i dont have watch.

Wednesday 7 miles in gym at 8 min miles. Also 20 min on bike level 12. Some weights, pressups etc.

Thursday
    5 mile tempo at 6.23. a real struggle today. really warm. 10km warm down at 9 min mile. Found myself very hungry and zapped after the hard session. 3 mile warm down in future. I had promised a lad i would go with him

Had some fruit bread and a dominos pizza so all carbed up again.

Didnt log in since friday.
    Friday 7 miles at 7.40
    Sat day off which was much needed.
    Sun I done a half marathon in the gym in the sweltering heat @ 6.43 a mile. If i was outside I wouldnt have been able to go that fast as I had little sleep all weekend with work etc.
    Monday I went outsideto the park. Glorious day. Went at 12pm so was in the middle of sweltering heat. 7 miles at 7.55. It felt tough to be honest after yesterday run.

Tuesday. Went to the track. 5 x 1 mile with 2 min recovery average 5.45 a mile. 2 mile warm up and 2 mile warm down. Asimonov provided good company along with a strong local runner.

Wednesday
    5.5 miles at 7.50 and 30 min swimming lesson. 1 hour easy spinning on hte bike in a low gear to loosen up the legs.

thursday Went out with a girl who wants a hand with her running. 2 miles warm up. 6 x 7.05 miles and 2 miles warm down.
    Friday 8.3 miles at 8.20
    Went to brother in laws wedding and had 4 cigarettes. Disaster as i smoked and that went into sat and sunday.
    Sat Rest
    Sunday 15 miles out and back at 8.10

Interval planned tuesday and an easy week. I wont taper but i will run all mileage slow. 1 min slower than marathon pace. Get the miles in but it wont take out much out of me.

• Advertisement

Monday
    easy 4 miles with some weights etc.
    a month ago i could do 2 press ups. Now I am up to 10. Hope to get to 20 by July. Arms getting stronger.

Tuesday
    12 x 400. Averaged 75 seconds which was too fast. I messed up the first one going in 71 secs. So much for having a garmin. Good session all the same. Very happy. Sorry to say I celebrated with a cigarette. Will i ever get sense. Tomorrow is another day with new promises.

Wednesday 7 miles at 7.55 at 6am. Tired after tuesdays session.
    Thursday 5 miles at 6.32 with 3 mile warm down. Felt really tough.
    Friday 23 miles on the bike easy
    Sat 8.5 miles @7.35
    Sun 10 miles @7.31. Never ran in such rain. Got absolutely drenched. Went home 4 miles away and not one drop had landed. amazing but really enjoyed it.

Monday
    2.30 hours of doubles tennis. It was in the fifth set when we called it a night at 11.30pm. Woke up tuesday morning with aches all over.
    Tuesday day off.

Wednesday
    Went up with Ike and asimonov to the Lisburn half marathon.
    Read ikes and asimonovs reports.

I start too hard. At half a mile my garmin was 5.40 so i slowed up to reach the marker in a way too fast 6.06. Went through 3 miles in 18.45 which was still too fast. Hit 6 miles in 37.20 and then the hill. Oh my god........If i had remebered asimonov had a bottle stashed there I would have snatched it. At this point i was caked. A lad had followed me from mile 1 to 6 and was on my shoulder thoughout. Helped for 30 seconds twice. He was wrecking my head by mile 6 but after 7 he kicked on(the cheeky git after i done all the work for him) but he really kept me going as i want to catch him. I really suffered from 6-9 like i never suffered before but i knew asimonov was catching me and i had the key which would have been a sneer had i been 2nd home.
    Mile ten i got a 2nd wind and went through 10 miles in 64.08 so was 48 seconds behind target. I dug deep for the last three and was looking forward to the water on mile 11-12. I shouted at the girl to throw the water at me for the crack. But the other 3 handing out the water all threw it at me too and drenched me. I wanted to get cooled down not soaked. They wet a runner beside me who was none to happy that we didnt get any water at the station azt all. The hills after 12 were sneaky with the last half mile up the hill. I had to dodge the 19km runner in the run up to the line. Official time 1.23.51

Was disappointed at the time. But happy that i dug in when really hurting.
    I predicted before the start that two ladies would beat me and thats the way it panned out. A third passed me at 10 but i sped up and that was pleasing. She stopped altogether but noticed she finished 90 seconds after me.

Will def do it nxt year. Great race.

Thursday
    7 mile recovery run at 8,45

Friday
    Day off.

Monday

I dug deep for the last three and was looking forward to the water on mile 11-12. I shouted at the girl to throw the water at me for the crack. But the other 3 handing out the water all threw it at me too and drenched me. I wanted to get cooled down not soaked. They wet a runner beside me who was none to happy that we didnt get any water at the station azt all. The hills after 12 were sneaky with the last half mile up the hill. I had to dodge the 19km runner in the run up to the line. Official time 1.23.51

Brilliant; they must have wondered who the mad southerner was..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

thats a great time , well done

• Advertisement

sat
    25 min on bike and 20 min weights

sun
    after the usual 4 hrs sleep on sat night i did 15 miles @ 9 min miles. Around 2.15 on my feet so was happy with that. After wednesdays race it was just to do it. After wednesdays race i normally struggle for a week. no running friday and sat was a blessing. I put in a serious 6 weeks training and needed an easy week after it. By tuesday i should be ok again.

8 miles @ roughly 8.20 on monday
    Tuesday 1 mile warm up 5x 2km with 1 mile warm down

Had planned to run them at 7.30(6 min miles) so ran them a little faster that. Was tired before the start but it was the alot easier than previous sessions. It was the first week that it didnt feel like a race.

Wednesday 5 miles am with 1 hours gym work.
    5 miles pm.
    Thursday Off.
    Friday County 10km. Not a priority race but really disappointed the way it went. Wanted to run 6 min miles but Could only manage it for 1km.

3.56 19.17 after 5km with zero left
    4.05 39.31 for 10km on watch
    .35 for .1km of a mile

Official time 40.07 when expecting to break 37.40 was very poor. Have trained hard so no hassle.

Sat 30 min on exercise bike. Could have ran but dont want to go over 50 a week.
    Weekly mileage 50

Sun 16.5 miles at 9 min miles. Over 2.20 on my feet. after a late night I felt better after 15 miles than i did when i started. Had to stop rapidly at 16.5 for mother nature.

Monday
    6am 12km @ 4.45 a hm
    7pm 10km @ 5.25 a km

Tuesday
    Interval with amadeus. Thank god for a training partner. did not want to do this as i was tired and low in confidence.
    5 x 2km 2 mile warm up and 2 warm down

Planned to run at 6 min mile pace(3.45 a km)

Average 7.28.
    Job done and increase speed in every interval.
    Wouldnt have done it without a training partner although he took the lead for 2 of the 25 laps. Thanks for sharing the workload amadeus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Monday
    6am 12km @ 4.45 a hm
    7pm 10km @ 5.25 a km

Tuesday
    Interval with amadeus. Thank god for a training partner. did not want to do this as i was tired and low in confidence.
    5 x 2km 2 mile warm up and 2 warm down

Planned to run at 6 min mile pace(3.45 a km)

Average 7.28.
    Job done and increase speed in every interval.
    Wouldnt have done it without a training partner although he took the lead for 2 of the 25 laps. Thanks for sharing the workload amadeus.

That's a great session. That will stand to ye.

That's a great session. That will stand to ye.

Thanks for that. Want to have an easy week nxt week as i have a race on the friday. Ran a race tired last friday and i have worked very hard the last two months.

Wednesday
    Very sore this am. Went for 10km at 6.10 am in 52.30

At 6pm I went for 5.5 miles with no watch.

Total since sunday 51.5

Taking a much needed break tomorrow.

Ran a 5 mile in Feb in 29.34 and although it was short i would like to get similar time in 5 miler in Dungarvan. After an early monday morning run its a quiet few days.

Was wrecked on thursday. Done a little gym work but had planned to do a long one friday so no exercise on my legs.

Friday morning the young one wassick so I couldnt do the long one. Had a great morning with her instead so happy days.
    Done half marathon at marathon pace. 1.29 and it felt tough. Followed that with a game of golf a game that i used to play alot off and got to 8 2 yrs ago. With two kids and running i decided to pack it in for a few years. First game in 11 months and it was like i was never away.

Sat
    Really tired this am. Other little girl sick today.
    Went the gym and done 9 miles. 3 miles at 7.17, 4 miles at 6.25, 1 mile at 6 min and 1 mile at 8 min so after yest i was very happy. The middle 5 miles worked out at 6.20 a mile for 5 so thats my tempo done for the week.

On the food front it was a poor week.
    Just one of those weeks.
    Indian sunday
    Italian monday
    Italien wednesday
    Meal out with work thursday
    Fri meal after the golf.

I suppose weeks like that are very rare.

Since last since I have ran around 73 miles with 3 good workouts thrown in. The body is screaming for an easy week which is what i will do.

Sunday
    Went to watch the cats.
    Monday
    Gym and 4 miles thrown in
    Tuesday
    Gym and 4 miles
    Wednesday
    9.5 miles with Ike @ 8.18(Felt hard)
    Thursday off
    Friday
    GSK 5. After the last week I felt i should be fresh.
    Time 31.02
    What can I say. 90 seconds off if not more from where i thought i was thought i should be. Ran 29.34 in feb and feel i am in better shape now.
    First mile in 5.35 and i knew it wasnt my night. Didnt passed a soul after that and it was not my night. 6.02 followed for mile 2 and i knew the writing was on the wall. 6.26 for the third mile and although uphill it wasnt as hard as as that. I went with a runner for mile 4 in 6.17 which is my 10mile pace and really paid for it on mile 5. It took 6.40 and its been aq while since i ran a 6.40 mile in a short race.
    I didnt feel out of breath at all and was able to encourage runners going by. Just nothing in the legs. Ok i went a little to hard in first mile but it didnt matter on the night. Thats 2 bad races in a row.

Cold sores and blisters in the mouth might be a sign of run down. Went on the Berrocca and Centrum on thursday until the marathon.

Sat
    5 miles in gym for gym work

Sun
    20 miles @ 8 min miles. After friday I was thrilled to get this done.

Sunday
    Went to watch the cats.
    Monday
    Gym and 4 miles thrown in
    Tuesday
    Gym and 4 miles
    Wednesday
    9.5 miles with Ike @ 8.18(Felt hard)
    Thursday off
    Friday
    GSK 5. After the last week I felt i should be fresh.
    Time 31.02
    What can I say. 90 seconds off if not more from where i thought i was thought i should be. Ran 29.34 in feb and feel i am in better shape now.
    First mile in 5.35 and i knew it wasnt my night. Didnt passed a soul after that and it was not my night. 6.02 followed for mile 2 and i knew the writing was on the wall. 6.26 for the third mile and although uphill it wasnt as hard as as that. I went with a runner for mile 4 in 6.17 which is my 10mile pace and really paid for it on mile 5. It took 6.40 and its been aq while since i ran a 6.40 mile in a short race.
    I didnt feel out of breath at all and was able to encourage runners going by. Just nothing in the legs. Ok i went a little to hard in first mile but it didnt matter on the night. Thats 2 bad races in a row.

Cold sores and blisters in the mouth might be a sign of run down. Went on the Berrocca and Centrum on thursday until the marathon.

Sat
    5 miles in gym for gym work

Sun
    20 miles @ 8 min miles. After friday I was thrilled to get this done.

I'd say i was very close to you for the first 2m...
    I did 5:35 & 6:00 for the first 2....
    That race was much harder than i remember from last year.
    You sound like you could be run down,no reason why you would not have gone sub 30 with an easy week behind you and all the quality training.
    You got a good 20 done though

• Advertisement
Advertisement