Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which 4x4's actually come with difflocks?

• 15-05-2009 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

(excluding the centre diff, that's sort of a given) which 4x4 does come with one or two diff locks?

The Merc G class is one I know of (and my Syncro) ...any others?

Surely the big Toyos have one (or two) ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

The last Mitsubishi L200 I believe, I'd be suprised if Lr defenders didnt have them as an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

peasant wrote: »
    (excluding the centre diff, that's sort of a given) which 4x4 does come with one or two diff locks?

The Merc G class is one I know of (and my Syncro) ...any others?

Surely the big Toyos have one (or two) ?
    Do you mean lock both wheels on one axel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

O.A.P wrote: »
    Do you mean lock both wheels on one axel?
    Indeed, that's what I mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

peasant wrote: »
    Indeed, that's what I mean
    The defender is permenent 4 wheel drive but it only locks the center diff when in difflock. You can can add air lockers though to the front and back diffs if you got the cash but I dont think they offer this as an extra when buying new. I didnt know the G-wagen had that as standard when I win the lotto I must get one for my collection :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I have seen a good few Hilux with them.

As mentioned already, the L200 has them.

Does a Unimog count???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The rear difflock was an optional extra on the 90 series, otherwise they are permanent 4wd with the option of locking the centre diff.
    80's and 100's have optional rear difflocks depending on spec, GX VX etc.
    120 series I cannot say, but they are really a 90series with a bodykit so I would imagine that they could also have a rear difflock fitted as an option from the factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

nissan patrols have them along with landcruisers both as extras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I didnt know the G-wagen had that as standard when I win the lotto I must get one for my collection :D
    Now I can't vouch for every single model and variant in their long history, but most of them did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

The defender is permenent 4 wheel drive but it only locks the center diff when in difflock. You can can add air lockers though to the front and back diffs if you got the cash but I dont think they offer this as an extra when buying new. I didnt know the G-wagen had that as standard when I win the lotto I must get one for my collection :D

The diff locks were an extra on most of the G-Wagens that were sold here. Back in the 80's when first introduced here, most customers just ordered the standard G-Wagen without diff locks and one important feature was that high to low range could be engaged without having to stop the vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The rear difflock was an optional extra on the 90 series, otherwise they are permanent 4wd with the option of locking the centre diff.
    120 series I cannot say, but they are really a 90series with a bodykit so I would imagine that they could also have a rear difflock fitted as an option from the factory.

Land Rovers never offered a rear diff lock as an option for either the 90 or 110.
    Air operated diff locks were first introduced in Australia and it was there that they were first retrofitted to Land Rovers and are now readily available in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

PanhardPL wrote: »
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    Land Rovers never offered a rear diff lock as an option for either the 90 or 110.
    Air operated diff locks were first introduced in Australia and it was there that they were first retrofitted to Land Rovers and are now readily available in the UK.
    I'm pretty sure CJhaughey is talking about various models of Toyota Landcruiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

PanhardPL wrote: »
    Sorry I am talking about Toyota's not Landrovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

SNAP! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Advertisement