Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caroline Simmons

Options
  • 16-05-2009 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Is she the Sarah Palin of irish politics.

Her latest act: http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Matt-Cooper/listen.aspx (15/05/09 the 5pm show at about 4 minutes in)

Oh my god is she serious?!?!?!

blue cards? We might aswell bloody leave the EU!

And the amount of excess beaurcracy that would be needed to manage taxation for citizens abroad?

Has she not thought of any of this.

Maybe it was better when Libertas had no policy.

Oh God she used the old *no airport from nigeria* argument aswell. She is really stupid!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

no I think Mary Coughlan has beaten her to that. ::)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

oh god, that bit where she doesnt know the difference between the north and the republic is amazingly funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    oh god, that bit where she doesnt know the difference between the north and the republic is amazingly funny.

I must admit, it was hard to take her seriously, but my rage took over. I cannot believe she is serious really.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I signed up to the press releases from libertas last year (while campaigning for a yes vote)

I Later on got a email inviting me to be a candidate.
    i remarked to a friend "yeah, i should run, and be awfull and make sure none of them get it"

Thank you caroline simmons. your lack of basic irish geography is heartwarmingly bad,

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

also, anyone thinks its ironic that libertas wants to bring in "blue cards", Restricting peoples movement.

Libertas, Latin for Liberty

Liberty is a concept of political philosophy and identifies the condition in which an individual has the right to act according to his or her own will.

hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Amazingly people will vote for this crowd!! It really is scary!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I've got an absolute storm of leaflets from Caroline Simmons recently. Most of her 'policies' seem to involve Ad Hominem attacks on other politcians. Will not be supporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    blue cards? We might aswell bloody leave the EU!

And the amount of excess beaurcracy that would be needed to manage taxation for citizens abroad?
    And yet throughout the interview she maintains that the "blue cards" will make it as easier for EU citizens to work abroad by removing the "red tape and bureaucracy"?!? What red tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

According to the Sindo today both herself and O'Malley have had media training from Terry Prone. It's hard to say if any of it is sticking.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ministers-spin-guru-also-helps-libertas-1742075.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

sure they want to break up the EU dont they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

For anyone that hasn't seen her.. impressive.. letter drops, I've scanned in one I've received: front / back.

Text on the back, as scanned word for word:
    ARE YOU GETTING VALUE FOR MONEY?
    BEFORE YOU VOTE ON JUNE 5TH, REMEMBER:

PROINSIAS DE ROSSA VOTED:
    Not to respect the outcome of the Referendum on the Lisbon Treaty - before a vote
    had even been cast
    In favour of the Bersani Report which sought to undermine Ireland's Corporate Tax Rate

GAY MITCHELL & EOIN RYAN:
    VOTED TO KEEP MEP'S EXPENSES SECRET AND HIDDEN
    REFUSED TO VOTE TO MAKE THEIR OWN ATTENDANCE RECORDS PUBLIC
    What have they got to hide?

FlANNA FAIL SIT WITH THE LIBERAL GROUPING IN PARLIAMENT - A GROUP WHICH OPPOSES
    THE RIGHT OF THE IRISH PEOPLE TO DECIDE THEIR OWN SOCIAL POLICIES

FINE GAEL MEPS VOTED TO ABOLISH IRELAND'S CORPORATE TAX RATE - OUR ONLY TOOL TO
    ATTRACT MULTINATIONAL COMPANIES WHICH EMPLOYED OVER 150,000 PEOPLE LAST YEAR

LABOUR VOTED NOT TO RESPECT OUR DECISION ON THE LISBON TREATY

DUBLIN MEPS COST OVER €8.4 MilLION OF TAX-PAYERS'
    MONEY IN THE LAST 5 YEARS ... WERE THEY WORTH IT?

DUBLIN DESERVES BETTER.

CAROLINE SIMONS IS A NEW VOICE,
    STANDING UP FOR YOU IN A EUROPE
    THAT REALLY WORKS FOR ITS PEOPLE

CAROLINE WILL:
    Make sure you know how much she earns,
    and when she shows up to work

Vote to make all expenses and attendance
    records open and public

Make sure Ireland has a strong voice at the
    centre of a better Europe

Fight for YOUR right to decide issues like the
    Lisbon Treaty and social policy

Tell you what goes on in Europe

Stand up for Ireland's ability to strengthen its
    economy and create jobs

Libertas.eu

Ghandi-esque proportions, as I'm sure you'll agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I notice that she is using the Presidential harp on her posters. Is that not a tad illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

is_that_so wrote: »
    According to the Sindo today both herself and O'Malley have had media training from Terry Prone.
    Prone? :D

The most utterly brainless "Media Commentator" ever, with absolutely nothing of any interest to say.

Her "analysis" of the US Presidential election on DriveTime (where she chatted with that other intellectual colossus, Mary Wilson) was absolutely hilarious (unintentionally!)

Hopefully Simmons is listening to Prone, it will guarantee that she shows herself up for the plank she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

getcover wrote: »
    Prone? :D

The most utterly brainless "Media Commentator" ever, with absolutely nothing of any interest to say.

Her "analysis" of the US Presidential election on DriveTime (where she chatted with that other intellectual colossus, Mary Wilson) was absolutely hilarious (unintentionally!)

Hopefully Simmons is listening to Prone, it will guarantee that she shows herself up for the plank she is.

I love the confidence with which people on boards pass judgement, especially negative judgement, on others. Many such posters fail to show a basis on which we should respect their judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Regardless of the lagality (would be interested to know this though) it is extremely disrepectful to the President to use this symbol.

Then again she doesn't seem to be that clued into the real world. She is the main reason i have changed to a yes vote.

I genuinely know people of 21/22/23 years old who could un a better campaign.

I love the confidence with which people on boards pass judgement, especially negative judgement, on others. Many such posters fail to show a basis on which we should respect their judgement.

Untwist your knickers there, it's called an opinion. Bizarrely enough, many discussion forums contain them.

Untwist your knickers there, it's called an opinion. Bizarrely enough, many discussion forums contain them.

In my opinion, it's no more than ill-mannered abuse.

In my opinion, it's no more than ill-mannered abuse.
    And you are perfectly entitled to that opinion.

So Caroline Simmons then, any opinion on her?

And you are perfectly entitled to that opinion.

Gee, thanks.
    So Caroline Simmons then, any opinion on her?

I don't have much to say about her personally, because I don't know a great deal about her. I disagree many of the political opinions she has expressed, and I think the party for which she is running is deplorable.

How did the bould Caroline perform on Q&A last night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

She was made to look very foolish.

I hear that Libertas are removing her posters over some trouble over a harp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Wonderful stuff. She's hanging herself and it's great.

Duffman wrote: »
    Wonderful stuff. She's hanging herself and it's great.

And unhanging her posters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

And unhanging her posters?

:D

And rightly so. The State should vigorously defend its intellectual property against this most damaging form of dilution.

Who wants their brand appearing next to Simons' face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

She's turning into quite the liability; surely the Libertas campaign organisers should be ensuring she gets as little media time as possible in the next few weeks. She's a godsend for the anti-Libertas crew.

On a related but completely trivial topic, is her surname Simmons or Simons? The media always referred to her as Simmons during the referendum campaign, but now she's been referred to as Simons... what gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

well she is going to be in coolock for a community Q+A on thursday at 7pm if you want to embarrasse her some more (thread going up in a second.)

On a related but completely trivial topic, is her surname Simmons or Simons? The media always referred to her as Simmons during the referendum campaign, but now she's been referred to as Simons... what gives?
    Am I losing the plot completely, or have all her posters suddenly been changed from "Simmons" to "Simons"? I find it hard to believe that this was some massive typo - what gives?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    She was made to look very foolish.

I hear that Libertas are removing her posters over some trouble over a harp.

How was she made to look very foolish?! One thing she did was directly challenge Gay Mitchell, MEP for Dublin. He said he did not vote 'no' for a certain proposal concerning expenses but she got information from the EU which stated he did in fact vote no. He was made look the fool really!

How was she made to look very foolish?! One thing she did was directly challenge Gay Mitchell, MEP for Dublin. He said he did not vote 'no'...
    No he didn't. He acknowledged the fact that he voted 'No', but explained his reasons for doing so. But of course, she wasn't interested in his reasons and continued to shout him down.

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    No he didn't. He acknowledged the fact that he voted 'No', but explained his reasons for doing so. But of course, she wasn't interested in his reasons and continued to shout him down.

He only acknowledged it after she had read her her piece of information. He voted no and only told the truth after she had exposed what really happened! His reason was also not good enough. She was interested in his reason and asked him why there has not been any developments with a better plan he intended to vote for, to which he didn't reply!

Advertisement