Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caroline Simmons

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 storinius

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I notice that she is using the Presidential harp on her posters. Is that not a tad illegal?

I think she might have annoyed quite a few people with that all right.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0519/1224246880481.html

Interesting that the taxpayer has to pay for a candidate to send out campaign literature. I had never heard of a 'litir um thoghchán' before. Does that mean that if I decided to run in the morning that the I could send everyone in the constituency a letter for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes, each candidate can send one letter to each person on the electoral register free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I find it odd that on her leaflet, supposedly she devotes three whole sentences to herself, repeating twice that she's a mother of five. Either she thinks that fecundity is a requirement for political office or it's a Palinesque wink to old pro-lifers that she's not one of those lefty femmos who has her womb scraped out with joss-sticks at the drop of a hat.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Simmons wrote:
    FINE GAEL MEPS VOTED TO ABOLISH IRELAND'S CORPORATE TAX RATE - OUR ONLY TOOL TO
    ATTRACT MULTINATIONAL COMPANIES WHICH EMPLOYED OVER 150,000 PEOPLE LAST YEAR

I resent that remark. I work for a multinational company, and while Caroline may be so f*cking useless that being cheap is the only value she can provide, I'd like to think that most of the rest of us add a bit of productivity and service above and beyond being a dodgy tax haven.

Wow, she really places no value on the Irish people, or our skills and abilities what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

He only acknowledged it after she had read her her piece of information. He voted no and only told the truth after she had exposed what really happened!
    Nope. I think you need to watch it again:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0518/qanda_av.html?2545645,null,230

About 1 minute 50 seconds in, Gay Mitchell clarifies his position before the question is put to Sim(m)ons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

How was she made to look very foolish?! One thing she did was directly challenge Gay Mitchell, MEP for Dublin. He said he did not vote 'no' for a certain proposal concerning expenses but she got information from the EU which stated he did in fact vote no. He was made look the fool really!

I wonder is that a wise course for Libertas to pursue, given that at least one of their candidates (an Italian MEP called Sebastiano Musumeci) also voted against the report, and Libertas' French MEPs were all there but didn't vote.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

djpbarry wrote: »
    Am I losing the plot completely, or have all her posters suddenly been changed from "Simmons" to "Simons"? I find it hard to believe that this was some massive typo - what gives?

Jesus H I think you could be right. Shes even conspired to make me lose that leaflet with the two 'ms'.

Jesus H I think you could be right. Shes even conspired to make me lose that leaflet with the two 'ms'.

Well, she's certainly listed on the Pro-Life website as "Caroline Simons". Holles Street have her listed back in 2005 as Caroline Simmons, though.

If she changed it, she changed it a number of years ago.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I wonder is that a wise course for Libertas to pursue, given that at least one of their candidates (an Italian MEP called Sebastiano Musumeci) also voted against the report, and Libertas' French MEPs were all there but didn't vote.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Can you provide a source? I googled 'Sebastiano Musumeci Libertas' and the first thing that came up was this conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Caroline Simons has retracted her blue card proposal under statement of *It was a proposal for immigration for those outside of the EU* and has stated today in front of the Coolock Q+A that she is open to full free immigration across the EU.

Sadly I didnt get to ask any questions :( but Caroline Simons opening statement and reponse to A question on migration was quite interesting.

She disowned fellow libertas candidate for East ireland, stating she firmly disagreed with his opinion on immigration. So much for a pan european party, they are not even pan ireland anymore. And went on to say she opposed any restriction on eu migration.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Caroline Simons has retracted her blue card proposal under statement of *It was a proposal for immigration for those outside of the EU* and has stated today in front of the Coolock Q+A that she is open to full free immigration across the EU.

I haven't seen a flip flop that big since I went to the beach with Ian Thorpe

I would edit a quick piece of her two comments (from today and last week) side by side for youtube, but sadly my work mac does not like WMV a neither does fcp.

until then I'll try and upload an audio sample of her today.

Nope. I think you need to watch it again:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0518/qanda_av.html?2545645,null,230

About 1 minute 50 seconds in, Gay Mitchell clarifies his position before the question is put to Sim(m)ons.

He said Libertas were careless with the truth in saying Gay Mitchell voted no for a certain proposal. No they weren't he voted no. He is not excused because he added an explanation of vote.

Find attached zip file with the audio of her distancing herself from her fellow libertas candidate and stating she is against restricting immigration.

Find attached zip file with the audio of her distancing herself from her fellow libertas candidate and stating she is against restricting immigration.
    That is some flip flop alright. Talk about a doing a full 180.

OFFTOPIC:

in another strange own goal by libertas they link to my earlier quickly put together video on their misinformation adverts on their blogs as *Libertas TV* Its the first video on the list and most of my views (not many) have come from their website?

: http://robin-matthews.blogspot.com/2009/05/labour-meps-should-disclose-all.html (bottom right on page)

No explanation as to why on the website that I can find. If there was a rebuttal by a libertas candidate I would be happy to let them use it if I can respond. But its just sitting there randomly?

Is someone playing dirty monkey's with the libertas uk blog?

So confused?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

Do you think she suddenly remembered that all those Eastern Europeans have a vote in the Parliament elections which would definitely be cast against her if they thought she was anti-immigration?

Don't forget people from the new member states are more likely to vote in the European Elections so they are an important constituency to satisfy.

Btw hearing Sim(m)ons floundering around like that always makes me happy. Hope she loses her deposit.

OFFTOPIC:

in another strange own goal by libertas they link to my earlier quickly put together video on their misinformation adverts on their blogs as *Libertas TV* Its the first video on the list and most of my views (not many) have come from their website?

: http://robin-matthews.blogspot.com/2009/05/labour-meps-should-disclose-all.html (bottom right on page)

No explanation as to why on the website that I can find. If there was a rebuttal by a libertas candidate I would be happy to let them use it if I can respond. But its just sitting there randomly?

Is someone playing dirty monkey's with the libertas uk blog?

So confused?
    They seem to lack basic intelligence.

Very good video btw.

r14 wrote: »
    Hope she loses her deposit.
    No deposits needed anymore. Any crackpot can run if they can gather up 60 signatures of registered electors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

Bond-007 wrote: »
    No deposits needed anymore. Any crackpot can run if they can gather up 60 signatures of registered electors.

Even in the Europeans? I thought they had changed it for general elections but kept it for the Europeans. Very possible that I'm mistaken though cause it's been a while since I looked at it. Either way it is funny to see her looking more and more ridiculous every day.

• Advertisement

They got rid of it for all elections here.

when the radio coverage of the q+a is up I'll post a link. But really that was one of 2 points that she stepped out into stupid territory. I'll try and put up her intro statement aswell.

I tried to talk to her afterwards but she refused to be filmed so I cant use the audio of me asking her about her flip flop (her answer being that she never intended the blue card for EU states) when I pull her up that she named the UK she said we had a bi-lateral agreement which I said I know but she still gave the UK as an example.

she then saw that I still had a mic on me (I was doing interviews that day) and refused to talk to me and stated that she was not asked for an interview etc and walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

(her answer being that she never intended the blue card for EU states)

Yet she specifically went into the example of the Northern Ireland lad being unable to work in the South. Does she think we're all that stupid?

How she introduced herself: (real low quality)

note that she just goes straight into attacking everyone else that was there with her.

Can you provide a source? I googled 'Sebastiano Musumeci Libertas' and the first thing that came up was this conversation.

Here's his Libertas affiliation. The voting record is the Parliament voting record for 14/01/2009.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

He said Libertas were careless with the truth in saying Gay Mitchell voted no for a certain proposal. No they weren't he voted no. He is not excused because he added an explanation of vote.
    Excused from what?

Excused from what?

Voting no.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Here's his Libertas affiliation. The voting record is the Parliament voting record for 14/01/2009.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

He is not a member of Libertas nor was he elected as Libertas MEP. He is a member of the L’Autonomia coalition in Italy that is teaming up with Libertas in the European Elections.

He is not a member of Libertas nor was he elected as Libertas MEP. He is a member of the L’Autonomia coalition in Italy that is teaming up with Libertas in the European Elections.

What does being an affiliate party of Libertas consist of? I don't know that there's an official Libertas whip, so I'm not sure what the difference is between say Libertas Sweden, and L'Autonomia who are affiliated with Libertas.

I guess what I'm asking is what are the obligations of an affiliate party to Libertas, and what are the obligations of Libertas to the affiliate party? And do they differ from a member party?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Well Ganley is claiming him as member of Libertas because he keeps referring to the fact that he is running 500+ canidates.

Advertisement