Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caroline Simmons

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

djpbarry wrote: »
    He said Libertas were careless with the truth in saying Gay Mitchell voted no for a certain proposal. No they weren't he voted no. He is not excused because he added an explanation of vote.
    Excused from what?
    Voting no.
    So you think the following statement from Libertas is perfectly acceptable:
    GAY MITCHELL & EOIN RYAN:
    VOTED TO KEEP MEP'S EXPENSES SECRET AND HIDDEN
    REFUSED TO VOTE TO MAKE THEIR OWN ATTENDANCE RECORDS PUBLIC
    If so, then I’m sure you’ll agree that the following is also acceptable:

The Irish electorate rejected the Lisbon Treaty as they believed it would lead to the legalisation of gay marriage, abortion and euthanasia in Ireland.

Fair enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Steviemak wrote: »
    Well Ganley is claiming him as member of Libertas because he keeps referring to the fact that he is running 500+ canidates.

Now up to "nearly 600" according to the UK Libertas site. As is usual with Libertas, the figures appear to change on a daily basis.

Hm. About the last thing Libertas will be, if they're successful, is an Irish party. They can be Irish if Declan Ganley is really in charge - but then they're not really a party. Or they can be a party - in which case their Irish component will be next to nothing.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

What does being an affiliate party of Libertas consist of? I don't know that there's an official Libertas whip, so I'm not sure what the difference is between say Libertas Sweden, and L'Autonomia who are affiliated with Libertas.

I guess what I'm asking is what are the obligations of an affiliate party to Libertas, and what are the obligations of Libertas to the affiliate party? And do they differ from a member party?

I don't know. From my research L'Autonomia is just a group of political parties who are affiliating with Libertas for the European Elections. Sebastiano Musumeci is actually a member of the Sicilian Alliance political party. He is not a Libertas MEP and wasn't when voting on the proposal to publish MEPS expenses, attendences, etc.

djpbarry wrote: »
    So you think the following statement from Libertas is perfectly acceptable:
    If so, then I’m sure you’ll agree that the following is also acceptable:

The Irish electorate rejected the Lisbon Treaty as they believed it would lead to the legalisation of gay marriage, abortion and euthanasia in Ireland.

Fair enough?

Yes I think it is..they clearly voted no. And no I don't agree with the above statement about the Lisbon Treaty. I believe some people rejected it because of the reasons you listed but certainly the majority did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I don't know. From my research L'Autonomia is just a group of political parties who are affiliating with Libertas for the European Elections. Sebastiano Musumeci is actually a member of the Sicilian Alliance political party. He is not a Libertas MEP and wasn't when voting on the proposal to publish MEPS expenses, attendences, etc.

Yeah I can't work out what the difference is either...

Do Libertas have a whip? what's the point of them if they're all separate parties with separate policies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... Do Libertas have a whip? ...

They'll have whips all right. And ropes and chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Yes I think it is..they clearly voted no.
    But surely the reason for voting as they did is as important (if not more so) than the vote itself?
    And no I don't agree with the above statement about the Lisbon Treaty. I believe some people rejected it because of the reasons you listed but certainly the majority did not.
    But they clearly voted 'No'; what difference does it make what spin is put on it?

Advertisement