Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foul smell: bird living in our wall

Options
  • 16-05-2009 8:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Over the last two weeks, there has been a growing and ever increasing nasty stench in the rooms of our house adjacent to where birds have nested. There's a pipe coming out of the side of the house, and some bricks pulled away. Black birds have nested inside this cavity. We see them going in and out, carrying food and we hear them scratching.

Now we smell the most insane sickening stench.

Could those little black birds be making all this stink?

I don't know what death smells like, but this is strong odour.

I spoke with my landlord about this, because we have guests coming on June bank holiday, and it affects two guest bed rooms. What can I do?

The landlord said he'd clear the nest out... but I'd like to know if this is going to harm the birds. Can they be relocated at this stage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Hi Nearly,

I'm very sorry to tell you but It's actually a criminal offence to remove a nest whilst the nest is in use.. basically if there are eggs in it.

There was another thread about this recently http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60142500

Also some more info http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Advice/FAQ/GardenBirdFAQ/tabid/368/Default.aspx

I hope this helped in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

ah so they can't be relocated. well, i didn't like the idea of moving the nest if it was going to harm birds, hence i asked here if there were options.

i was hoping to just find out *when will it ever end*.

as soon as i can find out if the nest is empty, i'll patch up the hole myself.

we can't use the upstairs loo anymore, it's sickening, lol. and that is where the shower is. we have the windows wide open because it seems to make it less-bad. But damn it's cold.

actually i don't even know for sure it is that, what if there really IS something dead in the wall. do nests stink that much?

i'll go ask in bird forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

We have a family of small birds that come back evey year. And there is no smell at all?? I find it funny that the smell could be just the birds but then again im no expert:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Maybe there's a way of encouraging them to leave, a high pitch noise emitter, or something. Would that be allowed?

Otherwise, I know I'll get a berating for this, but I doubt there's much chance of being caught if you were to move the nest yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Is there any way you can get a ladder and go have a look about?
    That sounds really odd. We used to get swallows nesting on our house and I never remember it being smelly?

Is there definitly eggs in the nest?

• Advertisement
Advertisement