Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight loss & loose skin

• 16-05-2009 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is in the right section but wasn't sure where to put it.

I just started Weight Watchers, I'm a size 18 and hoping to lose about 4-5 stone. My friend who was the same size as me lost that amount of weight in about 7 or 8 months and now she is left with a lot of sagging skin, especially around her upper arms & stomach. Is this inevitably going to happen with such a high weight loss? She lost the weight very quickly and I am expecting to lose it more gradually, would that make a difference? She did a lot of walking but she didn't do much exercise to benefit her arms, whereas I go swimming and am hoping to start going twice a week, about 40 minutes a time, once I finish exams next week. Will this help tone my arms enough to minimise the loose skin if I do lose all that weight?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

It is very possible to lose weight faster than your body can tighten up the skin to compensate. It often does tighten up, just more slowly. Exercise can help, but you are unlikely to be replacing all the fat you lose with muscle mass, so skin will still be an issue.

Make sure you are getting plenty of fish oil and other essential EFA. Those creams for pregnant women can be useful too. Dry skin is much more likely to sag than well fed, well moisturised skin.

Advertisement