Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eavan boland essay

Options
  • 16-05-2009 11:01am

i have to do an essay on eavan bolands poetry and i dont have a clue where to start. help please.

the title of the essay is:

'good poetry is timeless, it always has something relevant to say to the modern reader'

-write an essay on one (eavan boland) of the poets on your leaving cert course, explaining why their work is relevant to you.

any ideas welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

digan wrote: »
    i have to do an essay on eavan bolands poetry and i dont have a clue where to start. help please.

the title of the essay is:

'good poetry is timeless, it always has something relevant to say to the modern reader'

-write an essay on one (eavan boland) of the poets on your leaving cert course, explaining why their work is relevant to you.

any ideas welcome

Is Boland even on the syllabus this year :confused:

If you're at another stage of education (3rd level or whatnot) I doubt there'll be many on this particular forum who know a whole lot about Boland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Its on for the 2010 L.C

Talk about how her poetry is relevant today as when it was written, off the top of my head, In Famine Road, the woman who is being told that she cant have a baby, its still relevant because many women are unable to conceive.
    Same goes for Love and Pomegranate which are the only 3 i can think of at the moment! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If you're female you can write about the issues pertaining to women in Boland's poetry (The Famine Road, The Shadow Doll).
    If you have parents you can write about Pomegranate (even if you're male IMO, the idea is still the protective nature of the mother and the need of the child to discover the world for themself.
    You can talk about love as a theme in general (The Black Lace Fan, Pomegranate, Love).
    You can talk about violence, which is basically continuously relevant what with endless wars in the world, (Child of Our Time... possibly the War Horse but I didn't study that one so dunno. You could even fit the Famine Road in there if you wanted to get really into it and talk about subjugation of peoples).

That's just going off the few I studied (guess which 6, hm!), I'm sure there are other parallels to draw between others, and basically the gist is "she deals with x themes, x themes are relevant to me because...". And as far as the poetry having "something to say", I'd draw from this that you might want to have some conclusion about what the overall message (perhaps moral) from each poem/the poems in general (though that'd be harder) is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

KatCookie wrote: »
    Its on for the 2010 L.C

That would explain a lot!

My teacher didnt realise she wasnt on this year and for months (While we were doing Macbeth) kept saying we'll do Boland next.....

Advertisement