Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, I'm being forced to steal broadband.

Options
  • 16-05-2009 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've just installed NTL 3 meg broadband and it really sucks. I haven't called their tech people yet as I wanted to get some info first.

Originally I got NTL bb in 1999 and it was super. I used it happily until 2007 when I moved house. The tenant didn't use it and when I moved back here a couple of weeks ago I got bb and phone. The modem is a Scientific Atlanta 2203.

On speedtest.net I've got a good download speed of 2.7 to 2.9, but that's when it gets going. The ping time last night was 1100ms. The norm for me would be 300 or so. While most websites load eventually, my biggest problem is getting onto this site. Right now, in order to post this, I'm using a neighbours wireless network on NTL which gets comporable dowload speeds but a "proper" ping time of about 15ms (he doesn't know :eek:. In fact. I don't even know which neighbour it is).

Has anyone any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Call UPC and stop stealing.

There are no user settings on a Cable Modem.

Unplug everything else on your cable TV connections and add back one at a time incase something is making interference.

You should get an external Firewall/router/NAT (Called ethernet WAN or cable/dsl router. A router with DSL modem built in is no use.) as the built in Windows Firewall is a pain and not secure anyway (then it can be turned off. WiFi Optional.

make sure on your ethernet connection to Scientific Atlanta:
    1) Only one PC
    2) MS Client and File/Printer sharing unticked. Only TCP/IP should be ticked in Network properties
    3) IP and DNS should both be "Automatic" (DHCP) in TCP/IP properties.

4) Disable unused network interfaces (you may need to set TCP/IP properties to manual or untick TCP/IP to disable networking on Firewire).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

recession, call UPC to cancel and keep "borrowing"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    recession, call UPC to cancel and keep "borrowing"

Borrowing implies he'll return it to it's rightful owner at some stage.
    How's he going to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I'd say call NTL/UPC, try to sort the issue, if no joy then switch provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No one is forcing you to steal. Ring UPC tech support. Encouraging theft is also not on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement