Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW LT40 Engines - Any Good?

• 16-05-2009 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

First Off, I have been getting some brilliant advice from this board, Thank you.

I had my heart set on a Mercedes 410d for converting into a camper, My reasoning for a 410d was that it has a slow 3L Engine and they look lovely when there looked after. However I have not been able to find one of decent quality.

I have stumbled upon a LT40 (Old Shape), 80,000 Miles, Looks clean, seems to be what I want in all but make.

In general are the LT40 Engines any good? its a 2.4 Turbo Diesel.

The van is also mid engined, I'm woried that it might be a nightmare to work on?

Thanks for all the great advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Same engine out of the old Volvo 740 series, unbreakable if you look after them. Theres a service hatch between the seats where most of the aggregates canbe serviced. Not much different from the merc as some of the work on it has to be done from the inside too.

Know some people who had them in Germany, were very happy with them. Thought of buying one recently but got something else instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sol_MB

Thanks, Thats just what I wanted to hear. I'm So Excited!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The LT engine is the old VW 1.6 D with two additional cylinders slapped on.
    A very good engine in a car, in a heavy truck however a lot depends on how it was driven. The safest thing is to get it checked over before buying.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Super engine. My brother has a 1988 lt 40, excellent engine, and all the internals from an lt40 ambulance to convert it. Last I heard he wants to get rid of it. It would be going cheap enough, and would be great for spares , or drive home. If you want further info let me know.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

He was looking for advice on converting one he bought :

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055571452

he'll be a busy but happy guy for a while :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement