Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to America for a year!

Options
  • 16-05-2009 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm thinking of going to America for a year maybe next year (If i can get some of my mates to go). I just wondering how do i go about getting a visa and a place to stay and how much money would i have to bring with me? Is there a group that you can go with if your going on your own or has any one gone on there own.I'd love to experiance American life:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You can go on the Visa Waiver Program, but only for 90 days at a time. Some people will cross into Canada or Mexico for a weekend and then come back to the US, and that often works, but the Border Agent can refuse you, especially if you have spent more of the year inside the US than outside. Are you a student or a recent (within 12 months) graduate? If so, you can go for the J1 visa, which will allow you to work over there or go for an F visa and go to college there, but university in the US has expensive fees. If not a student, your only option really is to try for a work visa, for which you need to find a company to sponsor you, and need to proof to have skills that they need that no US citizen has (which usually means a graduate degree or highly skilled IT or some such).

In terms of finding somewhere to live, it will very much depend where you will be based. Many young Americans share a flat, and find room mates via work or notice boartds at college. Craigs List is also popular to find accomodation, and you could look at that now to check on prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

I'm not a student i wanted to go over on a working visa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It'll be very difficult for you to get one, sorry, and as I said only with a company that sponsors you.

Ae you positive you want to go to the USA? If you just want to experience a different culture that speaks English, Australia has a working holiday visa which is quite easy to get, and I believe Canada has one too, but I don't know much about that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

As mentioned, it will be next to impossible to get a working visa without someone sponsoring you or a job to go to right away. Maybe try going for up to 90 days and see how you like it. Visa processing takes quite a while also and isn't cheap.

Advertisement