Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Libertas want work visas for Irish working in NI

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

I'm wondering if I'll allow raw Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt to govern my voting decisions; since I'm currently not working (I have no self-respect, you see), my wife is Romanian and my parents Dutch, will be I be in danger of being deported in spite of having been born here and possessing dual-nationality, when Libertas rolls into power? Will my wife and I have to wear a badge, prominently displayed, to show our ethnicity? Will we need to move to a ghetto, or a camp?

Yes, a bit OTT and whimsical, but that's where these situations develop to when they go unchecked. And I believe that while the likes of O'Morris might genuinely believe that it's all benign and for the good, it's not how it develops in the long run, particularly in times of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt such as these. O'Morris, look at your history books and tell us if these things have ever ended well for all concerned - have they?

For reasons such as this discussion, I believe the arrival of Libertas here is a Good Thing, since it allows us to examine our values and think about why we vote for the people we do. And maybe the incumbents will consider that we need to have better reasons to vote for them than 'which side we were on during the Civil War', or 'he got us permission to build the extension'. We need to vote for people with conviction, with morals and with balls who can fight this populism so maybe at last we'll get them when they see the alternatives.

Advertisement