Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United - Premiership Champions 08/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

As I said in the other thread its no biggie, winning 18 or 19 titles is not a huge achievement for Manchester United.

They were the best team by far this season over the course of the whole season but they should be, they have been the biggest club in England for years upon years and really they should have dominated the league for years like Bayern or Porto. Or like Barca and Real have in Spain.

Liverpool fans should not be bitter but proud of their club whose record of English titles is amazing considering the giant that is Manchester United.

United just needed a decent manager to make it to the top, it would take something incredible from Liverpool to match them over the course of a season. It happens from time to time but if United have a decent manager for the next ten years then you would expect the same to continue. Well maybe not now that Man City have all this money also.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

ROFL - Delusion ftw

I don't think he's a pool fan - so not really delusional.
    Honest though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eagle eye wrote: »
    As I said in the other thread its no biggie, winning 18 or 19 titles is not a huge achievement for Manchester United.

They were the best team by far this season over the course of the whole season but they should be, they have been the biggest club in England for years upon years and really they should have dominated the league for years like Bayern or Porto. Or like Barca and Real have in Spain.

Liverpool fans should not be bitter but proud of their club whose record of English titles is amazing considering the giant that is Manchester United.

United just needed a decent manager to make it to the top, it would take something incredible from Liverpool to match them over the course of a season. It happens from time to time but if United have a decent manager for the next ten years then you would expect the same to continue. Well maybe not now that Man City have all this money also.

Lol we'll always been crap no matter how much money we have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

ROFL - Delusion ftw
    I'm an Arsenal fan, and all I can say is while Utd did offer some good football as they do every year, so did Liverpool. Overall though, Liverpools efforts impressed me more than Utds did.

But of course, to 'fans' like yourselves, anyone having a controversial opinion other than a pro-united one classifies individuals such as myself as delusional.

Typical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

mayordenis wrote: »
    See I came on after the match totally gutted and just was going to go into the man utd forum and say something like "Congrats lads" but you've (communal you not you directly) made that impossible,
    We could all be lovely and say well done, I suspect nearly everyone would, but this little cheap shot? Petty.

I editied it, slightly. Hope it would fit better. I just got pissed off of the constant excuses by the bitter fans, but the majority of Pool fans have been congratulating us. Liverpool were awesome, this season, if it were not for a few draws, things could be different here, next season, is going to be brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Barca only have 18 or 19 league titles themselves :confused:

Happy with the league win today. Good season domestically for Utd, did the business against the smaller clubs. struggled against the better ones. room for improvement... Liverpool will loom large next season I think but Fergie will be ready :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Who's for the 39th game?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Fair dues go to Manchester United for a hard fought league win. They had less than successful start and managed to overcome the other 3 'big four' who had their chances.

Personal opinion - I put the league win down to Alex Ferguson and Ronaldo. Not all, but mostly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Reading this thread makes me hate both sets of fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

lol at this thread.

fair play to Fergie, 3 years in a row is something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I would just like to say as the offending OP, my OP was a moment of sheer joy of what has been a great season overall. I apologise for the monster this has become over so many pages.

This season between Man U and Liverpool has been epic, I couldnt have wished to have had a better contest, such massive rivals, the chance to play out a league and contesting your Arch enemy brings so much joy, for the winning team.

Kudos to Liverpool this year , they have played outstandingly, they have beaten us twice and have only finished narrowly behind us. Its a stark reminder to Man United that winning the league isnt a walk in the park , its a battle , and its been one superb battle.

For me , if it was United Vs Liverpool every year id be happy. Its one of the best rivalries in the world and as a United I am happy to have it that way.

Congrats to Man United , I was so so so happy with the OP.

Finally Liverpool , thank you for this season , its been epic and roll on next season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

2s96u5e.jpg

Chong wrote: »
    I would just like to say as the offending OP, my OP was a moment of sheer joy of what has been a great season overall. I apologise for the monster this has become over so many pages.

This season between Man U and Liverpool has been epic, I couldnt have wished to have had a better contest, such massive rivals, the chance to play out a league and contesting your Arch enemy brings so much joy, for the winning team.

Kudos to Liverpool this year , they have played outstandingly, they have beaten us twice and have only finished narrowly behind us. Its a stark reminder to Man United that winning the league isnt a walk in the park , its a battle , and its been one superb battle.

For me , if it was United Vs Liverpool every year id be happy. Its one of the best rivalries in the world and as a United I am happy to have it that way.

Congrats to Man United , I was so so so happy with the OP.

Finally Liverpool , thank you for this season , its been epic and roll on next season!

Chong,

I know you well from posts etc and you're a sound chap.

How you went about it wasn't the right way at all.... Especially with the amount of arseholes on both sides. Silly Billy.

I have as I always am gracious in defeat but god I hate you all :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Another undeserved title for Manchester United

At least six of their recent (1993 onwards) titles have been a fluke.

They get the benefit of biased referees.
    They constantly win games from behind.
    They get lucky breaks.
    They are frequently outplayed but still snatch a draw or victory.
    They are ungracious in defeat.
    Their manager is a monster who plays unnecessary mind games.
    They often make excuses when they lose but won't accept excuses if another team makes them.
    Their supporters are the most arrogant of them all.

Their dominance is ruining football.

Hopefully this title will be their last.

I really really really really really hope your a WUM buddy

Otherwise I pity you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Chong,

How you went about it wasn't the right way at all.... Especially with the amount of arseholes on both sides. Silly Billy.

Yeah I created a Frankenstein of sorts, I suppose the moment got to me KaG.

Chong wrote: »
    Yeah I created a Frankenstein of sorts, I suppose the moment got to me KaG.

Ah didn't take offense at all.

Just feel sorry for the SF mods lol

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Chong,

Hate/Love you too buddy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Gutted I didn't get to see this live due to my exam but it sounds like the match wasn't all that great for a change. I'll try and look at the scenes on MOTD later.

Delighted to see United equal Liverpool's record. I must say this season has been an absolute blast and a feast of enjoyable football. Other teams contributed to that in a big way, including Liverpool and Arsenal it must be noted.

It doesn't need to be pointed out but Sir Alex Ferguson is a bonafide f*cking legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

It's been a great season for utd but last year they played better football.

Only a great club and side can be criticised though when they win a league cup, retain a league title, win a world title and possibly retain a champions league all in the one season though :D

This is by far and away the greatest utd side of all time and the trophies prove it. We'll look back in years to come and those criticising utd now will be comparing future utd sides with the 'great' one of 2008/2009...

Future players will have a hard time living up to standards we now expect from the likes of vidic, van der saar, ronaldo & rooney - that and they'll also have to look at the medals these guys are winning and try to live up to that :p

Utd are the cream of europe now... relatively young side, quality squad with cover in all positions, can attack and defend... gaining experience all the time. The only thing to worry about is Fergie's health and age. If future utd players think they'll have a job matching the current crop, imagine what future utd managers will be thinking :pac:

Delighted. That is all. Thank God for all those referees we bribed. Phew. Would have been a lot closer otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Barca only have 18 or 19 league titles themselves :confused:

Happy with the league win today. Good season domestically for Utd, did the business against the smaller clubs. struggled against the better ones. room for improvement... Liverpool will loom large next season I think but Fergie will be ready :D
    Yeah but they have been in the top two in Spain almost every year. United were not always in the top two either.

Delighted. That is all. Thank God for all those referees we bribed. Phew. Would have been a lot closer otherwise.

Bait unsuccessful. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Headshot wrote: »
    jesus christ

bully much ?

I genuinely laughed at this comment. Fair play man, nail on the head there.

Is this DSB guy for real? I have never seen such bitterness towards United supporters who are delighted to have reached the milestone that Liverpool set.
    Fair play to the Pool for giving us a good run, I have hated their guts since I started following football, but yee pushed us the whole way this season which is great effort.

Absolutely over the moon to clinch this title. Lets hope we reach 19 next season. Fergie you are a legend, WP United!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Yeah but they have been in the top two in Spain almost every year. United were not always in the top two either.

No they haven't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I think Fergie put it best himself when after the match he was asked if it was the best United team ever and he was about to say yes, stopped himself and then said it was the best squad ever.

United have had better first elevens before, but I can't remember them ever having so much strength in depth.

Congratulations and thanks for helping The Great Escape 2.

*Starts whistling*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

CHONGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine eyes, they dost bleed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm delighted!
    I thought I heard Neville say that Macheda doesn't get a medal. Does anyone know why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

mars bar wrote: »
    I'm delighted!
    I thought I heard Neville say that Macheda doesn't get a medal. Does anyone know why?

not enough games

but he'll get a medal done up for him,dont worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'm delighted!

He's only played a few times.

Think you have to have at least ten league appearances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I'm delighted!
    Didnt play enough games.

Absoluty delighted. 11 Premier League titles is a phenomenal achievement and equaling Liverpools 18 Leagues is very sweet. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Personally don't think we,ve played all that great this season performance wise, but we showed heart and grit at important times and turned a lot of potential draws, losses to wins. I felt a lot better after last season's win but that doesn't change the fact that I'm chuffed with the achievment.

In an uncharacteristic turn I'd like to thank Liverpool for making it a good title race. I think Chelsea will be a bigger threat next season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Well done United, easily deserved over the 37 games so far.

While one of the few things United and Pool fans on this thread will have in common is a general revulsion of Chelsea, I hope we can push our way back to the top in 09/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Congrats Liverpool for playing more entertaining and stunning football than Utd and if there was a prize for that you would have received it.

There isn't, there's just the league. That's what we won. Arsenal and Liverpool can fight over your madey-up prize, we'll celebrate the league, ta.

P.S. by stylish and entertaining, do you mean stuff like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Well done to United (boy that hurts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Greetings from Birmingham airport, i'd say there is about 10 people not getting on this flight. I've only read the first page of this thread and why are Liverpool fans chirping in, they won nothing this season this thread is for the champions of the Premier League.

Bit tipsy myself :D

Actually forget what I said as I read on, cheers to all the Pool fans for the congrats and best of luck next season.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    There isn't, there's just the league. That's what we won. Arsenal and Liverpool can fight over your madey-up prize, we'll celebrate the league, ta.

P.S. by stylish and entertaining, do you mean stuff like this?
    Actually, I'm thinking more along the lines of this.

However, since you're so obsessed with figures and statistics opposed to the actual game of football, I must congratulate you and Utd for taking a point today from the two premier league games you've played against us in contrast to our 4 this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

However, since you're so obsessed with figures and statistics opposed to the actual game of football,
    I'm obsessed with figures and statistics? Where exactly did I say that? I'm sorry if you don't like the structure of the Premier League - I really have heard it all now. Someone said you were deluded earlier and I thought it was harsh, but now I'm starting to wonder. What do you suggest we score the league on artistic merit, like ice skating?
    The simple fact is United merge the craft of winning with skill, better than Arsenal do.
    I must congratulate you and Utd for taking a point today from the two premier league games you've played against us in contrast to our 4 this season.
    No probs, we'll settle for that point and a place in the CL final. Nice doing business with ya ;)

davyjose wrote: »
    I'm obsessed with figures and statistics? Where exactly did I say that? I'm sorry if you don't like the structure of the Premier League - I really have heard it all now. Someone said you were deluded earlier and I thought it was harsh, but now I'm starting to wonder. What do you suggest we score the league on artistic merit, like ice skating?
    The simple fact is United merge the craft of winning with skill, better than Arsenal do.

No probs, we'll settle for that point and a place in the CL final. Nice doing business with ya ;)
    Davy, buddy, if you would have read my previous post before you exploded with objectivity then you would have comprehended that I described the Utd victory today as premier league champions as a well deserved and honest win. However, you couldn't resist but have a go at me because I praised Liverpool's efforts, could you?

I did not anywhere in my respective posts disrespect or outline Man Utd's season performance of the 08/09 season negatively, infact I showed my appreciation towards it.

I'm sorry but I simply do not have the time on my hands to quote your post into cute little snippets and depict your post to reflect further ignorance on your behalf than the original copy already does justice.

My commiserations for not agreeing with you in regards to the subjectivity of what we classify as entertaining football.

Please PM me for my address so I can accept a written apology in no less than 5 (five) working days.

I express the utmost gratitude and acknowledge your full co-operation in regards to this controversial discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Champions of ENGLAND !!! , CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD !!! CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE??

Come on you Red Devils sweetest trophy yet no doubt about it .

Fair play to liverpool fans who are gracious in defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Lets talk facts lads - United have won 11 out of 17 Premier League titles, and 18 in total,

Man United as a club (name) only came into existence in 1902, the same year Liverpool won their first title - anyone here remember that!?

United have proven themselves to be the best team in England consistently for the past 16 years or so - probably since most of you/us started suppoting our teams.

I remember a banner hung by a Liverpool fan when Cantona was retiring saying "bye bye Cantona, come back when you've won 18"

Well, we've won 18 - how many have you won since that day on 1994????

Get over it - we're champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Delighted. What season. These last 3 titles have been all the sweeter that they weren't ran away with. Cheers for keeping it close 'pool and heres to someone else running us close next year :p

I did have something pretty epic for this but looking through none where as bad as below.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Is'nt today a beautiful day ?!!!

Reading the Fergie thinks they were the better side makes it so much sweeter. I'd say he was boiling inside, his face was a picture when the goals for going in for the redmen.

I've a permenent smile on my face today and one that broke out into a laugh when I walked past a fella in a united jersey this morning in Dunnes.

The humiliation he must have felt pulling the jersey over his head this morning made me warm inside. Obviously the poor chap had no other clean clothes.

If I was him , I would have worn one of the wife's dresses or a skirt.
    Far less embarressing.

Now I think I speak for every United fan on this forum when I say to you now sir

091manudm_468x425.jpg

Don't forget the skirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

RasTa wrote: »
    I did have something pretty epic for this but looking through none where as bad as below.

Now I think I speak for every United fan on this forum when I say to you now sir

091manudm_468x425.jpg

Don't forget the skirt.

And it's embarassing that you felt so cut up by one guy's comment on the internet that you had to store it away somewhere so you could "serve" him when the opportunity arose (TWO months later).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    And it's embarassing that you felt so cut up by one guy's comment on the internet that you had to store it away somewhere so you could "serve" him when the opportunity arose (TWO months later).

Looking back over that thread, they got arrogant after winning 1 match and then come here and go on about United fans being arrogant for winning the league!

P.S. you probably shouldn't have posted that quote. You're going to get the 'you're obsessed with Liverpool' brigade on your ass now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

winner pickers the lot of ya :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Didn't realise we had so many posters from Manchester and Liverpool on these forums, welcome guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Didnt play enough games.

Absoluty delighted. 11 Premier League titles is a phenomenal achievement and equaling Liverpools 18 Leagues is very sweet. :)

Thanks.

Seems a bit mean, his goal against Villa put us back on track really...
    He'll probably win more in years to come though. Looks like he could be a keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

CHD wrote: »
    winner pickers the lot of ya :)

Says the Chelsea fan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

35notout wrote: »
    Well, we've won 18 - how many have you won since that day on 1994????

Get over it - we're champions

Lol the ironing is delicious. Maybe you need to 'get over' a banner you saw 15 years ago.
    RasTa wrote: »

091manudm_468x425.jpg

Don't forget the skirt.

That's just simply pathetic.

MOD NOTE: There have been warnings in this thread already. The next person who attempts to troll, whether you be United or Liverpool, can enjoy a couple of weeks off.

No exceptions

Xavi6 wrote: »

That's just simply pathetic.

[/B]

I'm standing by it! Ask any United fan who was at the game yesterday and not the internet brigade that it was all about equalling Liverpool's record, it was sung the loudest after the game and after the match.

• Advertisement
Advertisement