Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does it matter which side is facing up on a hard-drive?

Options
  • 16-05-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I just installed a 3.5" Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5TB SATA hard-drive into my Dell PowerEdge Server.

I had to put it into a 5.25" bay so put extension brackets and wasn't really sure how to fit it (case opens on one side so I could get a screw in from one side only, there must be a better way to fit it that I'm missing). I ended up just positioning it whatever way I could get it in, which has the silver metal side facing up and the side that has the more exposed green circuit board and underside of the disk facing down. I just noticed afterwards that that is the opposite of the way the 2 preinstalled drives were positioned.

Would this upside down positioning have any effect on the long-term performance of the drive and should I change it? Any pointers on how to better secure the drive in place would be welcomed....can't see how using grommets would work with the brackets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thepcgp

Hi, having the hard drive upside down won't affect its normal operation ( just make sure there's no chance of short circuit), however having it installed in a way that is less than secure will. If the hard drive can move, vibrate, or wobble at all, there is a very good chance that its lifespan will be reduced, perhaps significantly. Movement while spinning is a death knell for hard drives. IBM wrote a program that stops the drive when motion is detected in an attempt to deal with this well-known phenomenon.

I would recommend you fit the drive according to Dell's instructions for doing so. If you go on the to the Dell website and put in your service tag, you should be able to find a guide to expanding your server's storage capacity. If you have reached the maximum number of hard drives in your server, you will have to remove one. I highly recommend doing it by the book, especially with such a high-capacity (and obviously costly) drive.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks a lot for that. I found good info on the Dell site - the Optical Drive installation section showed how to put those screws on that you use to slide it into place so it's all sorted now and I'm happier with the peace of mind in getting it done right, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

make sure u can install your hard drive with plenty of room between it and any other hard drives .... if u can skip a slot... new hard drives get hot real quick.... if u dont have a fan cooling them and they are tight together u can expect lots of drive errors.... imho always leave a slot free inbetween drives to allow for good airflow and fit a fan near them to push that hot air out

Advertisement