Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many units of alcohol per week do you drink?

Options
  • 16-05-2009 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

How many units do you consume per week on average. Last year or so im a paultry 10 or less

Im adding a poll

You can use the table on this website to help you calculate

http://units.nhs.uk/howMany.html

Terry - there is no calculation on how many units are in a keg.

How many units do you consume per week? 64 votes

50 or more
    0% 0 votes
    30 - 50
    21% 14 votes
    10-30
    15% 10 votes
    10 or less
    37% 24 votes
    Dont drink at all
    25% 16 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Around the 30 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm afraid to know tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

14 units a week, usually in one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It really depends I don't go out some weeks and some weeks I might go out 3/4 times. But usually around 16 in a night, unless it's a special occasion, where it can rise to 26.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I'm afraid to know tbh

Yep, head firmly in the sand here aswell :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

10 for me. I thought it was a lot.

Must start drinking more so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

30-50 probably, I'm a serial home drinker and I drink alone too...nothing to do with depression it's because TV is so bad these days it needs a little help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lightweights the lot of ye!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Omfg. How accurate is that thing? :eek:

Cannot be right..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Depends on how much I go out, on a saturday I'd have about 6 Tyskies then a LOT more when I got out :o

So i'd be around the 30 mark on an heavy night. Usually only go out once a week though so 30 a week aint too bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

When you're out you're out..................

Dont count the change, dont count the units.........

between 80 and 90 this week :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

None.:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

none.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

On a basic week I have about 35ish units, that does not include going out. If I go out I have about 10 units per night on top of that.
    I do not have a problem with alcohol. I enjoy it and it enjoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I drink JD and coke, dont go out that often though maybe once every 2 weeks, would have about 4 or 5 throughout the night so on average 4 a night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Just so people get it right. An average beer/shot has 2 units. Not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Abigayle wrote: »
    Omfg. How accurate is that thing? :eek:

Cannot be right..

Looks spot on to me. Most people don't realise the amount of units they have in one night. I work in addiction treatment and I would guess if you questioned people at a bus stop on a Monday morning a significant amount would score as problematic drinkers. You would probably get a box in the as well;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Odysseus wrote: »
    Looks spot on to me. Most people don't realise the amount of units they have in one night. I work in addiction treatment and I would guess if you questioned people at a bus stop on a Monday morning a significant amount would score as problematic drinkers. You would probably get a box in the as well;)

Would that suggest that the questionnaire is inaccurate/wrongly formulated or that significant numbers of Irish people have a drink problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Could go days even weeks with out drinking anything. But since iv started working in a bar probably just have the one after work, two tops.

(and no i dont drive afterwards either)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Just over 30 usually in one night. 6-10 pints then a few double whiskeys...been a month since ive drank though ...damn exams!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

oohhh.....Im tipping 40 for thursday night alone......thats scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

3.6 but I'm probably one of the slimest people in this thread so there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

~30-50.

2-3 Bottles of beer week nights and then beer, vokda, Jagr and maybe Wine on Sat.

remember people that the UK have smaller sized servings of shots { & strips } so if you use the page that the OP posted you have to increase it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Just couldint be arsed lately. If i do, it's a nice bottle of red in the comfort of my own squat.

I hate hangovers. Why the feck cant someone smart invent hangover free alcohol? It really puts me off drinking in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I tried to add up what i drank last week but my calculator stopped working and i got sick again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Would that suggest that the questionnaire is inaccurate/wrongly formulated or that significant numbers of Irish people have a drink problem?

It would depend on what measuring tool you where using, but I would go with the latter as we go the WHO limit of 14 and 21 units per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

For him
    http://www.drinkaware.ie/content/calculator/male.html

For her
    http://www.drinkaware.ie/content/calculator/female.html

as for me, when I go out..which might be once a week, it's around the 30 mark.
    blind drunk.

Well its an eye-opener. Don't get me wrong, I knew that I wouldn't have been on the lower end of the scale. But I've obliterated the poll :eek:

Not sensible I know. But I based it on last week alone. I'm up there with the top 7 so far.

Would any of the other 6 like to 'fess up to their average? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I think the incredulity was more about the amount of people voting for less than 10 or none, not the amount of people who voted for 100+ or whatever.
    The usual Irish thing of being amazed that there's a sizable amount of people who don't drink to excess, or at all and then the comments about lightweights etc.
    I hate that attitude personally, although I do like to drink. I voted in the 10 or less category since I'd only really have a proper drink once or twice a month and I'm not one for drinking a few units every night...

Advertisement