Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those who've thrown in low-ball offers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭dollydrops

The builder that refused our offer actually said that he was insulted that we thought the houses he built where worth so little. Obv other people do as well though if he hasn't sold one since Christmas. He confirmed this to us as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

pisslips wrote: »
    Man, it really pisses me off when people get emotional about something that is a completely impersonal simple concept.

I'm equally annoyed at EA's who would get angry because of a low offer as I am at people who say someone is stuck up their own ass because they won't drop their asking price.

The have their idea of market value and you have yours, just because they don't meet, are you going to cry about it?That goes for both sides. It doesn't waste much time to reject an offer!
    I don't know why people get upset.

Some sellers have an idea of market value based on either what they paid a few years back or what some guy down the raod got in 2007.
    I think buyers get peeved with them because they feel the sellers need to get realistic, just because their property was worth Y 3 years ago doesn't mean their prorpety is still worth Y or only a few percent down.

It is their own tough luck if they continue to live in cloud cuckoo land.
    It is a buyers market and prices are decreasing all the time.
    The rate of decrease can vary but it is still happening.
    Also some sellers can afford to hang on, but the desperate ones have to drop the prices to get a sale.

Someone mentioned that their EA wasn't good at sellingl.
    Funny it is not alone EAs that are suffering with that, as recent survey done by business radio show found out in survey of Dundrum town centre.
    A lot of sales staff are simply not upto selling in tougher times.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Eglinton wrote: »
    Hi there. What size of house and where abouts is it (roughly)? Congrats on holding out and negotiating really well. Even if you don't buy it in the end, you're doing a great service to the buyers of this country in bringing EAs to their senses (if they indeed have any)

Will your budget of 370 be a stretch for you? If it is, maybe you could offer even less. If not, it sounds like you're in a good position. I wouldn't even pay them 405 if it came to that. Stick to your guns.

You won't mind if I'm light on specifics but it's a really nice house and whatever about losing it because we can't agree a price with the vendor, I wouldn't like to see it snatched from us by someone outbidding us!

It's on the coast of North Dublin beyond Donabate.

The asking price is well within our budget, but I don't see why we should pay more than is absolutely necessary. For the last 10 to 15 years the market has been very unkind to purchasers, now it's turned I'm not inclined to extend any quarter or sympathy to EAs or venors who 3 years ago would've dropped your offer at the sign of anything that suggested they'd get a cent more!

Anyway, the main problem the EA has (apart from her selling skills deficit) is that we are both from the area so we have a fair idea of exactly what it's like and what a house around there is worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Shambo

Initial asking price of the house we are after was €330,000 (Sept 2007)
    Builder offerd it to us for 245,000 in Feb
    Put in a bid of €190,000 month ago
    He told me I was insulting him (Do they go to a special school where thet all learn the lines??) and not to call him back.

There is a big river in Egypt that sums up his attitude.

He has my number ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Tones69 wrote: »
    So this house originally started at 615k, eventually they came down to 425k and you're still saying no? Hmmmmmmmm

If I put a can of coke for sale on eBay asking 10 Euro, and then drop the price to 5 euro a few weeks later in an attempt to shift it, do you think people would be mad to turn down the chance of buying that can of coke for 5 euro?

Coke is, after all, quite a delicious drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

spockety wrote: »
    If I put a can of coke for sale on eBay asking 10 Euro, and then drop the price to 5 euro a few weeks later in an attempt to shift it, do you think people would be mad to turn down the chance of buying that can of coke for 5 euro?

I'll put a "cheeky" bid in of 4.65 for the can.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

ntlbell wrote: »
    I'll put a "cheeky" bid in of 4.65 for the can.

I'm insulted. This ain't no Pepsi or Dr Pepper. This is Coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I'm insulted. This ain't no Pepsi or Dr Pepper. This is Coke.

Try dropping it to €4.75 "for one week only" then raise it to €5.50.
    That should bring in the buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

blah wrote: »
    Try dropping it to €4.75 "for one week only" then raise it to €5.50.
    That should bring in the buyers.

or a bit of the aul raise it 10 cent every week someone doesn't buy it.

they'll go crazy for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

ntlbell wrote: »
    or a bit of the aul raise it 10 cent every week someone doesn't buy it.

they'll go crazy for it..

Oh sweet jesus, looks like the market hit the bottom and I missed it!

Oh well, better luck next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Tones69 wrote: »
    So this house originally started at 615k, eventually they came down to 425k and you're still saying no? Hmmmmmmmm

mmmmmmmmmm you must be an EA there quite within there rights to offer
    what they think is a good offer give them six months and they will take 350k!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Blackjack

blah wrote: »
    Oh sweet jesus, looks like the market hit the bottom and I missed it!

Oh well, better luck next time.

Can't go down anymore - there will never be a better time to buy Coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

That would NEVER happen. Coke prices only ever go up, not down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

That would NEVER happen. Coke prices only ever go up, not down.

Just don't ask about Coke prices on askaboutmoney.com or you'll get banned.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

My hardluck I missed Phase I. Any chance of launching Phase II please :D. I promise I will be in que at 4 a.m. this time.

Advertisement