Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not enough Moderators in Region/Limerick City Forum

Options
  • 16-05-2009 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

Move this thread should it be in the wrong place. There is possibly a section of boards only available to moderators for this discussion/issue.

There are 4 Mods in the Limerick City Forum.

Mr E, Billy the Squid, Mayhem# and Dub13.

Unfortunately there is not enough live moderation of the Limerick Forum. I am infrequently flagging certain posts but it is taking far too long for a Moderator to come onto the thread. The posts in question are left for public viewing and threads left unlocked for too long IMHO.

Can you please select a more frequent forum user?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Can you give us some examples?

How long to you judge to be too long?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My example was going to be

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60273386#post60273386

The other threads I would have been referring to have since been cleaned up, closed and/or resulted in infractions/bannings. My only issue is that the actions were left far too late. Some over 24 hours before any action is taken from clear infractions of the charter and common sense.

However a MOD cleaned up the post(reffered to in link) 6 minutes after this thread was opened.

Im simply suggesting that only 2 out of 4 moderators are participants in the forum.

The other 2, although are shown as moderators, rarely make an appearance in posting or cleaning/clearing up posts/threads.

Again not enough Live moderation in the forum. It is an active and busy forum. Currently there are 6 people active(1 mod) when Boards statistics show over 69% of members are from the Greater Dublin area so regionally thats quite a few.

You've linked to this thread it seems.

A response and/or action within 24 hours is generally quite acceptable, and certainly not outside of the norm for online communities. Had it been days etc, then yes, we would be less than happy about it. Have you approached the forum mods via PM to see how they feel about the situation, or whether they feel like extra help would be needed?

Dub13 is the Category mod for all the regional forums, so you generally won't see him popping into the forum on a day-to-day basis :)

If we employed professional, paid moderators it might be a different scenario, but as we don't I wouldn't class anything within 24 - 48 hours as being unacceptable really. In the majority of cases, responses to reported posts are much, much quicker than that.

As a user of much busier rooms such as AH, Motors and 3 Hosted Forums I am used to more swift actions as opposed to the Limerick City Forum.

I had not approached the moderators on this matter because It would appear(IMHO) that I would be questioning their conviction to the forum or boards.ie in general.

I may in this case send an open question to the mods whether or not they feel they would like to elect another to cover the room.

Thank you Buffybot

Well I think if they react badly to a simple question - it's more telling about them than you :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hi,

As the Category Mod of Region I will look into this with the current forum mods.In normal circumstances 3 mods (you don't count me as has been pointed out) on a regional forum is normally plenty.Sometimes real life can get in the way for one or two of the mods and for a while you could well infact be down to a singel mod.If thats the case we will certinealy look into taken more help on board.

I looked into this a bit more.The other 3 lads have all been active in the last 2 days with 2 of them been on today.So they certainly are active they may not post on the forum but they are on boards.

I sent the 3 mods a PM and have only heard back from Mr E (it is Sat night after all),I will paraphrase as he does not have access to Help Desk.
    Bertys 2 most recent reported posts were today's (Elena Secas, which was dealt with within a half hour of the OP), and on May 14th (Limerick Hen Friendly, OP at 17:50, post deleted 20:10).

This is a very fast response time,can you provide us with anymore examples of when you think reported posts have not been responded to in a reasonable time..?

Incidentally,just because a mod has not take action after a user reports a post this does not necessarily mean it has not been looked at.A good % of reported posts require no action.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Hi,

As the Category Mod of Region I will look into this with the current forum mods.In normal circumstances 3 mods (you don't count me as has been pointed out) on a regional forum is normally plenty.Sometimes real life can get in the way for one or two of the mods and for a while you could well infact be down to a singel mod.If thats the case we will certinealy look into taken more help on board.

I am aware this is not paid employment and everybody is giving their time to the forum. I am also giving me time but in a mods case it is a little more involved and responsible. I am aware of the contraints on mods with board/life balance.
    I looked into this a bit more.The other 3 lads have all been active in the last 2 days with 2 of them been on today.So they certainly are active they may not post on the forum but they are on boards.

I am aware they are active and I would be confident a Moderator is active in the forum on an on/off basis. We all have lives after all. I am not simply reffering to today or yesterday.
    I sent the 3 mods a PM and have only heard back from Mr E (it is Sat night after all),I will paraphrase as he does not have access to Help Desk.

Mr E quote not visible. It will not multi quote and will not paste for some reason.

That is true of today but there are occassions where reported posts go inactioned for up to and over 24 hours, hence the helpdesk topic. I cannot provide you with examples because my ability to archive and keep records from boards is inferior to yours and more or less non existent once a post has been altered or removed.

This is a very fast response time,can you provide us with anymore examples of when you think reported posts have not been responded to in a reasonable time..?

I agree, this is a very fast response time but it does not form the basis of my original comments. I am reffering to moments in the past. As mentioned above. No I cannot on the basis of my limited operating power on Boards find prior examples.
    Incidentally,just because a mod has not take action after a user reports a post this does not necessarily mean it has not been looked at.A good % of reported posts require no action.

I am aware of such. Many reported posts are on the basis of being personally offended by a remark. Some people can be highly strung and the basis of their reporting a post might be down to their dislike of a user rather than anything concrete. These reasons for inaction(when reports are deemed frivolous) have not escaped me or passed me by.

You appear to be well on top of the category.

Keep on truckin'

Here are all your other reported posts from Limerick this year:

May 7th: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60147472#post60147472 : Closed just over 5 hours after report.

Feb 21st: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59121856#post59121856 : Infraction given by Billy.

Feb 6th: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58915850#post58915850 : Thread was locked the following morning.

Feb 5th: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58906407#post58906407 : reported post was read at the time, no need for lock.

Jan 25th: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58752921#post58752921 : Reported someone pimping their business. Someone asked about wedding photographers, a boards user responded.Relevant info was given by fellow boards user. Benefits of being in a community.

Jan 25th: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58753723#post58753723 : Posted deleted within 4 hours.

Jan 4th: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58533282#post58533282 : OP was warned by both me and Billy. They didn't post again. They were shown up as a crackpot by other posters anyway.....[/

Advertisement