Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

concert photos c&c

• 16-05-2009 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

a few photos from a gig earlier this year of the band, Sweet Jane.

6410.jpg

6487.jpg

6356.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭indieJones

I really like the first, she looks like a porcelain figurine or something.

overall i think the iso is a bit high. I've had the same problems with my own gig photos too but I think you can minimise it a bit if you try extra hard to hold the camera still and clean it up with a bit of PP.

the 2nd one is pretty cool and the 3rd is different but just doesn't do anything for me.

good job tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Jaysis. I've not seen Lydia in a long long time.

Good stuff. Wouldn't mind the iso at all tbh, it's low light, it's to be expected. The third one would have to be my favorite of the three, a 16:9 crop could look fantastic on it, cutting off say 2/3 inches above the leopard print shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

indieJones wrote: »
    overall i think the iso is a bit high. I've had the same problems with my own gig photos too but I think you can minimise it a bit if you try extra hard to hold the camera still and clean it up with a bit of PP.

how would holding the camera still help reduce the noise? one has to keep the shutter speed at a certain level otherwise it will have motion blur. I'm generally using between 1/30th and 1/80th as it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭indieJones

I meant if you held it extra still you can be a little more generous with your shutter speed and turn down the iso. obviously depends on gig to gig (lighting and if the crowd is rowdy).

Like Fajitas said it is to be expected and I have the same problem myself. It still bugs me though and would like to minimise it where possible. Very good photos regardless! The 2nd one is particularly growing on me on 2nd viewing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

first two are really nice especially the second, the third doesnt float my boat but thats just me.

• Advertisement

indieJones wrote: »
    I meant if you held it extra still you can be a little more generous with your shutter speed and turn down the iso. obviously depends on gig to gig (lighting and if the crowd is rowdy).

i can generally hand hold down to 1/20th but at that speed the performers movement is too fast to get a sharp image. But I don't find noise a problem, I come from a time of shooting gigs on 3200iso film which has grain the size of golf balls but that is simply part of the image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Love the last one Dot -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Great first attempt at gig shots. Well done!

Joking joking joking, you rock James!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i love no.2... because it doesnt sit right... what post pro did you do... looks like almost a load of noise ninja everywhere but the face or something... i dunno... its odd looking but really catching... nice seeing your stuff up here... have you been off the gig scene for a bit? havent seen much work on your site recently. i'm only getting back in myself this week, hitting it big time... bringing out the sweatbands and padded bag :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

I love #2 personally, 1 is good also and 3 is just not my thing. But I think the second one is absolutely fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Very nice photos

i love no.2... because it doesnt sit right... what post pro did you do... looks like almost a load of noise ninja everywhere but the face or something... i dunno... its odd looking but really catching... nice seeing your stuff up here... have you been off the gig scene for a bit? havent seen much work on your site recently. i'm only getting back in myself this week, hitting it big time... bringing out the sweatbands and padded bag :)

didn't do any noise reduction on any of them, all shot with the 5dII. most of the post was just tweaking levels and contrast, not a whole lot else. I have been shooting quite a few gigs but most are ones that can't be posted here for legal crap that is still going on with boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I find noise in gig photos can give it a better effect. I will never use flash at a gig no matter who or where it's being played because I rather try and see what I can get with bumping up the ISO and lowering the shutter speed.

That said, I like shots 1 & 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Pivot_Al

I don't normally go for gig shots but i think #2 is great- just a very good atmospheric photo. love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I love the lasts one very similar to my 'signature' shot which is also a foot shot. Thinking outside the box is always good and this shows part of the bands character with the quirky stand base and choice of footwear. My sig shos always a shot of the guitarists foot on the pedal, a shot which came around by a band that did not grab my attention or interest and I took the shot for some variety, itturned out to get a lot of appreciation and other bands asked for it also.!

The second shot I do like but it has one thing that very often turns me off photos but is hard not to do at gigs, and that is nostrils!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

I like all three shots, number looks great!

I love the lasts one very similar to my 'signature' shot which is also a foot shot.

i've been doing band foot shots since 2001, I should really open a gallery as I have literally hundreds at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

They do look great and come in handy also, I found one of my shots linked to on the Extreme website where fans were dscussing what gear Nuno Bettencourt uses, they were able to tell by the shot I had taken of his foot!

Advertisement