Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPods in the library

• 16-05-2009 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

anybody get really annoyed with ppl who listen to their mp3 players REALLY loudly in the library?? everyone can hear it!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

Doyle_G wrote: »
    anybody get really annoyed with ppl who listen to their mp3 players REALLY loudly in the library?? everyone can hear it!!!!!

Just give him a tap and ask to turn it down a bit, he'll be more embarrassed than you will I swear. Some people have destroyed their hearing from listening to music so loud, so they have to turn it up abnormally loud to hear it.

GET A PAIR OF EAR CANALS PEOPLE! YOU WONT REGRET IT! THEY SAVE YOUR EARS AND BLOCK OUT ALL EXTERNAL SOUNDS! YOU DONT WANT TINNITUS DO YOU!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I don't mind people having ipods on, but the library is so quiet that even with the volume down low you can hear it properly so there's no excuse to have it on super loud and letting it over spill.

What really annoys me is people answering their phones while at their desk and then talking on it while walking out to the stairs, full conversations like.

And then there was the girl who had a full conversation at full volume while in the library. Everyone was looking up being like WTF?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

And then there was the girl who had a full conversation at full volume while in the library.

Seen that happen once, was very Trigger Happy. Lad was obviously a *little* deaf.

NO! NO! THE LIBRARY.
    UPSTAIRS,YEAH. UPSTAIRS.

etc. for about 5 minutes.

Haha, could've been the media students and psych students joining forces to record and decipher everyone elses reactions :P

And then there was the girl who had a full conversation at full volume while in the library. Everyone was looking up being like WTF?!

I heard she was black bagged and she's never been seen since. Thats what you get for being a bitch who steps out of line.

V for Vendentta **** yea.

• Advertisement

Haha, could've been the media students and psych students joining forces to record and decipher everyone elses reactions :P

Oh good theory!!!!

+1

nah actually +over9000

True.

I'm not the kind of person that mentions it, much as I wish I was. Two kids on the bus today were playing their 'hip hop music' nice and loud through speakers and an old lad down the back got up, walked down, and said 'have yous no headphones? no? then turn the sh!te off' and I just knew I could never do that to do 14 year olds wearing their caps backwards on a public bus, never mind gobsh!tes in the library listening to crap music while I'm actually working.

I sometimes listen to talk radio stuff in there, Newstalk on low. Tend to keep the Justice/MSTRKFT thump thump music for the walk home where I won't drive people mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Doyle_G

[quote=PrivateEye;60274004

I sometimes listen to talk radio stuff in there, Newstalk on low. Tend to keep the Justice/MSTRKFT thump thump music for the walk home where I won't drive people mental.[/quote]

I listen to the radio too, keeping it low but some ppl have no consideration for ppl trying to study!! it wasn't even good music that they where listening too!! then she had the cheek to moan to her friend that she 'couldn't concentrate'!! I nearly lost my reason with her

PrivateEye wrote: »
    True.

I'm not the kind of person that mentions it, much as I wish I was. Two kids on the bus today were playing their 'hip hop music' nice and loud through speakers and an old lad down the back got up, walked down, and said 'have yous no headphones? no? then turn the sh!te off' and I just knew I could never do that to do 14 year olds wearing their caps backwards on a public bus, never mind gobsh!tes in the library listening to crap music while I'm actually working.

I sometimes listen to talk radio stuff in there, Newstalk on low. Tend to keep the Justice/MSTRKFT thump thump music for the walk home where I won't drive people mental.

Oh jesus. On my bus home from town I rarely sit upstairs. Every time I'm up there there are little shiitehawks playing their rap(e) music. And they're always immigrants. NEVER do I see Irish teenagers playing music on the bus anymore. Just shows how my area has changed.

Hard working Irish parents have to get that bus home from work everyday, only to be treated with that crap being blasted into their ears.

There's no chance I'd tell them to turn it down, I know well what their response would be. It starts with the letter 'R.....'

Its happened before, fcuking race card. Cheers Horkheimer, thanks for PC, you've made the world a better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

I don't know how people wouldn't realise that their headphones are pretty loud though.

I walked in yesterday and forgot I still had my headphones blasting away but the amount of heads that turned towards me in a matter of seconds was a bit of a hint!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Hard working Irish parents have to get that bus home from work everyday, only to be treated with that crap being blasted into their ears.

In fairness though, people that aren't Irish work hard too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

I have rarely come across people listening to their iPods at very loud volumes, but the incessant talking is really pissing me off lately.

Groups of guys and girls "whispering" across desks to each other. Furthermore, if they have a laptop things get even worse as they start showing funny videos on it and laughing their heads off. In the last week, I have seen two different groups of girls "forced" to run into the corridors while bursting into laughter.

It has become so bad that I stay at home to study now as it is far more peaceful. I know the library has put up signs saying there will be more extensive monitoring by staff, but I have only once seen an employee walking between aisles and watching over things, even though it isn't really their job to "babysit" certain students.

If anybody from the Student Council elected for 09/10 is reading this, I implore you ask Library staff to be more vigilant and tell students to shut up or get out, when they are on the floor, returning books to shelves etc. Even blanketing the walls with "Shut the **** up or get out" posters on the walls would be a step that nobody wants noise when studying.

In fairness though, people that aren't Irish work hard too.

No they don't.

they_took_our_jobs_tshirt-p235648038281095886qw9y_400.jpg

They were actually two "I'm from Dublin, I am" young ones from Leixlip blasting the music away. Really bad music too. Like 'remixed' Lady GaGa stuff that had just been sped up if you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

They were actually two "I'm from Dublin, I am" young ones from Leixlip blasting the music away. Really bad music too. Like 'remixed' Lady GaGa stuff that had just been sped up if you know what I mean.

But the real question is are they hot? :cool:

No they don't.

they_took_our_jobs_tshirt-p235648038281095886qw9y_400.jpg

Well In fairness, 90% of all new jobs went to immigrants last year.

Oh god theres nothing worse than hearing Dublin accents in Maynooth on the young ones and young fellas. Theres always hanging out there by the canal. Pests.

This is out night!! FLY! To the top! bay-beh! Jesus Greece put on some Euro vision performance.

True.

There was also a time that the guy sitting down the table from me hadn't got any headphones but wanted to listen to something so put the volume on pretty low and sat close to it. This wasn't during exam time but the other people around the area were like 'are you JOKING?!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Passive studying! It's stupid to listen to music and study at the one time.. Your brain can't concentrate on both

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭astroguy

I completely agree with liber8or's earlier post. People who talk in the library are just ignorant and inconsiderate and listening to music loudly is just as bad. If you can't study in a quiet environment without getting distracted and felling the need to "whisper", why would you come to the library? I too, have elected to study at home during the exams because the library just frustrates me this time of year.
    The staff in the library need to do more for the sake of most library users who get annoyed at people talking. The rules need to be clearer as far as talking in the library is concerned and if people continue to do it they should be ejected from the library and possibly banned. Everyone has a right to use the library but if they don't abide by the rules, and ruin everyone else's study then they don't.
    Also, if you need to talk to someone else whilst doing an assignment or something, that's what the ground floor is for.

Okay, that's my rant over (for now :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

petals wrote: »
    Passive studying! It's stupid to listen to music and study at the one time.. Your brain can't concentrate on both

Depends on the music, some music has been shown to help concentration when studying.

Not likely to be the same stuff those people are listening to.

I never got the whole phone speaker music. It is at crap quality out of those poor speakers and nobody wants to hear it. I don't know why the phone companies don't just stop letting it happen. No headphones, no play.

Loud music I don't mind unless it is like crazy loud. Obviously not in a library though.

I'm glad I finished college before that crap took off.

Advertisement