Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU or DIT or UCD Social Life

Options
  • 16-05-2009 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Ive done alot of research, went through alot of threads and read alot of mixed opinions on what is the best computer science/applications course, I was sure DCU was gonna be number one on me CAO but a good percentage of people say DCU has a pretty dull social life, compared to other places.

I was basing my choice on the best course and i still am, but if I didnt like DCU I would be much happier in DIT or even UCD, maybe not maynooth, I hear the course aint just that good but the crack is deadly... So i have went from sure to confused, I want to see your vews and opinions, have an argument so I can make up my mind.tongue.gif

Cheersbiggrin.gif

I probaly shouldn't be thinking about this too much before the leaving, I have a ****load of work to do... might not get anywhere tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Getting a range of opinions so im posting this in the DCU nd UCD forums aswell.

EDIT: I do care about the course, but lets just discuss the social life and the crack for now.tongue.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭silverwater

I went to DCU and I enjoyed the craic. It depends on where you stay, what you join, as you make a large part of your social life yourself.
    If you stay in Larkfield and join some Clubs and Socs and get involved then you'll have a great time.
    People do complain about the bar not being opened, but then again they wouldn't turn up when it did open so there's only so much complaining that's warranted.

I don't know loads about UCD or DIT, but from what I do know DCU is the better laugh. I have a friend who studies in DIT but hangs around with DCU people as there's not much craic up there and there's ****-all campus.
    As for UCD, I've never liked the campus and I heard one story about the girls being stuck up, but I'm not sure how true that is...

If you only post this in the DCU forum you're bound to get a biased reaction, maybe try asking in UCD/DIT forums too.
    I'd say DCU though.

If Trinity was an option I wouldn't be so sure though...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 CrazyirishBoy

Yea :) cool, good idea, ill post this in other places too,

Trinity ain't an option since I dont have Higher maths, but lets not get into that.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Okay, first thing you need to realise is that the most important factor to consider when deciding where to go to college is the quality of the course. If you have found that the CA course in DCU is the best then go there. As has been stated in the FAQ...
    Is DCU any Fun?
    This question is asked repeatedly here by CAO candidates when considering their choice of college/university. The most common response is that: "College is what you make of it". If you want to go to DCU to party, you will find yourself partying. DCU is neither boring nor lacks social life. People are boring and lack social lives. DCU contains some of these people. Other colleges contain some of these people. Other colleges contain people who party hard. DCU contains people who party hard.

Sure the social life has been hit somewhat by the reduced opening hours of the bar but lets face it, what's going to get you a job afterwards, time spent in the pubs or time spent studying? And so what if the pub isn't open all the time, DCU still has an extremely active Clubs & Socities scene plus you'll make new friends wherever you go and can just get drink at the offie and go to a friends house instead, either way fun will be had. Just something to think about. :)

Yea, cheers for that, but lets say I dont care about the course, (which I do!!!!) DIT seems to be equally as good anyway, but i do hear something about bad funding?!?! There are people saying DCU is good crack, im just curious how it compares to the other colleges.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Yea, cheers for that, but lets say I dont care about the course, (which I do!!!!) DIT seems to be equally as good anyway, but i do hear something about bad funding?!?! There are people saying DCU is good crack, im just curious how it compares to the other colleges.:D

You're going to have a hard time finding anyone properly qualified for comparing the social life of two separate colleges, never mind three... As said before, it really is what you make of it. There is a very active clubs and societies presence in DCU so if you're enthusiastic, there's no doubt that you'll make loads of friends, hit loads of parties and go on loads of trips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Best nightlife Ive witnessed was in Maynooth, but that could have been a personal experience.

Yea maynooth sounds awesome:D, but im afraid the course aint that good - from what i hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

If the lack of a bar's putting you off, remember there is The Slipper right beside the campus, which has student specials and a student lounge. Popular hunting ground with DCU people.

I know two people in UCD. One person loves the social life there, the other feels like there's nothing to do. The only thing I can say for sure is that I'm really enjoying the social side of DCU, but the weekends can be slow because everyone goes home - and that caught me by surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

You have a poor approach here. It's like saying which is a better country to live in Australia or New Zealand? And someone from NZ is going to say NZ ad someone from Oz will say australia. There isn't an answer to these questions.

However, HOWEVER, however,

UCD has better craic would be my guess :_)

in fact, i'd encourage you to go which ever college is closer to your gaf (if ou take the courses as being equal, which I don't think they are, how come you haven't considered the TCD CS course?)

Is that really a good comparison?? There are people finished college that may have done postgraduate in another college and such, and there are people who would have lived in both counties.

I know what the courses are like, i cant do the TCD course cos i didnt do higher maths even though i am well capable of it nd it wasnt because im lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭MonaghanPenguin

Is that really a good comparison?? There are people finished college that may have done postgraduate in another college and such, and there are people who would have lived in both counties.

I know what the courses are like, i cant do the TCD course cos i didnt do higher maths even though i am well capable of it nd it wasnt because im lazy.

I started my undergrad life in UCD, hated every second I was there, couldn't find my fit at all and ended up dropping out and reapplying with DCU as my only choice, and I've loved every moment here. Found it much easier to make friends, get involved, have the craic.
    That said I've known plenty of mates who went to UCD and loved it. At the end of the day you're never going to know how you're going to fit into the social scene of a college until you actually go there unfortunately. And as others have said, the Degree has to be priority number one, that's why you go to college in the first place.

Cheers, thats the sort of info im looking for, did u go to the SEM in monaghan by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Social life is what you make of it........if you are a socialite you'll fit in anywhere.

I wouldn't be basing my decision on where to study on what the craic is like........ in for a shock me thinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭MonaghanPenguin

Cheers, thats the sort of info im looking for, did u go to the SEM in monaghan by any chance?

I did indeed, you from The Farney too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

My social life has been great since I came to DCU. That said I came straight from school and I can't compare it to DIT, or UCD, but I definitely wouldn't say DCU has a dull social life.

Great craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭tolteq

As for UCD, I've never liked the campus and I heard one story about the girls being stuck up, but I'm not sure how true that is...

. UCD graduate here. That is true. But if your a jock, probably not true.

uhhhh. i feel another wave of bimboisation on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭tolteq

However DCU has got that INTRA placement. Dunno if UCD has that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I'm a graduate of both UCD and DCU. UCD was miles better in terms of clubs, social life, general craic etc. DCU is fairly dead - a big university with no student bar is a joke in my opinion.
    The computer apps course at DCU is better from what I've heard, although saying that computer science at UCD isn't too shabby either.
    Make your choice based on the course though I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Diarmaid07

DCU is not dead at all, it's got a great social life with brilliant socs

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

Diarmaid07 wrote: »
    DCU is not dead at all, it's got a great social life with brilliant socs
    +1

If you make no effort, then there's no reason why you wouldn't find it boring.
    A social life doesn't have to revolve around drinking every night.

• Advertisement

I'm a graduate of both UCD and DCU. UCD was miles better in terms of clubs, social life, general craic etc. DCU is fairly dead -

Can you comment more on what u liked/disliked about UCD and DCU - since you did graduate from both, would be helpful.

Advertisement