Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU or DIT or UCD Social Life

Options
  • 16-05-2009 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Ive done alot of research, went through alot of threads and read alot of mixed opinions on what is the best computer science/applications course, I was sure DCU was gonna be number one on me CAO but a good percentage of people say DCU has a pretty dull social life, compared to other places.

I was basing my choice on the best course and i still am, but if I didnt like DCU I would be much happier in DIT or even UCD, maybe not maynooth, I hear the course aint just that good but the crack is deadly... So i have went from sure to confused, I want to see your vews and opinions, have an argument so I can make up my mind.tongue.gif

Cheersbiggrin.gif

I probaly shouldn't be thinking about this too much before the leaving, I have a ****load of work to do... might not get anywhere tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Getting a range of opinions so im posting this in the DCU nd UCD forums aswell.

EDIT: I do care about the course, but lets just discuss the social life and the crack for now.:P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

What about TCD?

BTW choosing a college based on the amount of craic you anticipate having is always a bad idea, and there is no college really more fun than any other. It actually all depends on the effort you put in yourself, the amount of friends you try to make and clubs and societies you join. The opening hours of the college bar shouldn't even be a factor...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 CrazyirishBoy

Trinity ain't an option since I dont have Higher maths, but lets not get into that.wink.gif

Yea, cheers for that, but lets say I dont care about the course, (which I do!!!!) DIT seems to be equally as good anyway, but i do hear something about bad funding?!?! There are people saying DCU is good crack, im just curious how it compares to the other colleges.:D

I know smithy but read the EDIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

If you're going to college to look for a social life then you probably shouldn't be wasting your money. If you actually want to do computer science, choose the best course, not the course with the best social life.

I assume because of the fact that a bitchin' social life is a necessity for what ever course you choose that you are looking for one because you don't have a social life as it is or something, but it shouldn't be your priority.

Also, the social life you have in college isn't dependent on what campus you choose. It's entirely dependent on your own ability to make friends and your own will to go out at night or what ever. So if you have no friends at the minute, it's not because there's no social life on your campus, its because you're probably a dry shite that nobody likes.

Hey, thanks for that comment ass:D, that u actually put so much thought into trying to help me out, if any1 shares his opinion, i am simply trying to say that All three courses are as good as one another and im just wondering which area people enjoy most and hopefully ill not have to meet pricks like you, although i know i will like these places any way, im just getting peoples opinions.;)

Do u really have nothing more constructive to do than wasting my time in replying to you, you even try to tell me my life story from one thread, ur pathetic to tell ya the truth,

perhaps you should get councilling or become a budda, learn to meditate then suck ur own dick.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Although Ass may have been a little harsh in what s/he says, essentially though he speaks the truth. The craic in college will be what you make it, and no one here can say whether you'll have fun. The atmosphere, even within a course, can be vastly different between the years. But rather than asking where the best craic is you should research which college or uni has clubs and socs that match your interests.

Having fun (which is important) shouldn't be your main consideration, as a lot of fun will be had where ever you go (as long as you are up for it). You want to do computer science, well afaik Google grade graduates from the irish universities differently (I believe, I'm not CS so I'm not sure) Some are graded as Elite... and the scale slides from there. Being able to secure employment easily after college should also colour your choice... It would be a real pain to see other people get jobs ahead of you, because they chose the better course and you chose the better craic (which is entirely subjective).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

you're a daft daft daft lad. Not to sound like a total **** but I'd reconsider doing a computer science degree of any description if you're doing ordinary level maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I've made friends from other colleges in Dublin and I attended some of their events. There's no sure-fire way to hack the whole process of getting social life in college. It's up to you to figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

you're a daft daft daft lad. Not to sound like a total **** but I'd reconsider doing a computer science degree of any description if you're doing ordinary level maths.

I'm just finishing up second year Computer Science now after doing ordinary maths for the leaving, so far there's been nothing remotely higher level about the maths we've had:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 keep_it_real

aww come on give the kid a break - he asked a simple question, not for a lecture :eek:

I went to DCU about 6 years ago and the social life was poor to non-existant at times. Way too many students still lived at home and spent their lives commuting (you have your whole working life for that:P) and the place is a ghost town from Friday lunchtime. Friends I knew in UCD & Trinity had a much better time.
    No idea what the situation is at moment in DCU though but I wouldn't have gone if I knew how boring it was.
    Good luck with whatever u choose

Ok, thank keep it real, but has any1 read the part in my question 'I was basing my choice on the best course and i still am, but...'

I dont do higher maths but i am good at maths, didnt have time this year to do higher maths b/cos of other reasons, im pretty sure ill be ok on that front, anyway i dont care about that so dont bother talking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭InTranceWeTrust

College is not only about getting an education, it's about having a good time, trying new things and experimenting in life with general.

I say DIT because you will be in town, and if you play your cards right you'll be living in town as well, or at least within walking distance.

This means that you can walk home after a night out, you can walk into town if you need to do a bit of shopping, your social relations won't be limited to just students, you will meet all kinds of interesting people and you'll generally have a good laugh because there is always something going on in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I've been in DIT this year after doing my undergrad in UCD. UCD is far better than DIT... because there's a proper campus you see people around a lot more. There's a bar on campus and a load of cafés where you can meet people. I feel like in DIT everyone just disperses into town, which imho isn't a good thing. My brother went to DIT too, I don't think he liked the social aspect of it. I had a deadly time in UCD and DIT just doesn't compare.

Just one thing to think of is the commute... UCD isn't that easy to get to. You might end up not going to college at all if you live somewhere really far away from Belfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Dublin in general has a bad college social life. Try Galway for the true experience... :D

But if I had to pick one of them, being a DIT student, I think its a toss up between TCD and UCD. Quality student bars, and always a decent band playing now and again/

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

People say Dublin has a bad student social life. That might be true, but ask yourself this question - do you really want to be a tosshead student?

I'm a student myself and personally I hate these nights which are marketed towards students in the likes of Bondi and 21s. I prefer to go to proper clubs to see proper djs. Not only do you expand your musical horizons past whatever Now Hits cd the dj has brought with him on the night, you also get to interact with people who aren't fake D4 orange-faced stuck-up slappers and wannabe jocks. You'll meet many characters, make diverse friends and establish important new contacts.

Of course being a student is not all about "going out and getting pissed". Getting "pissed" is rubbish in my view anyway, but thats a discussion for another thread. DIT has lots of clubs and societies which you can get invloved with and experience campus life.

I realise I've had a bit of a go at students here, but of course there are lots of sound decent people in college as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

I've been to a lot of the college organised nights out from all of the various colleges around Dublin and they are really all shite in comparison to nights out you plan yourself.

disssco wrote: »

1.) I prefer to go to proper clubs to see proper djs................ 2.) you also get to interact with people who aren't fake D4 orange-faced stuck-up slappers and wannabe jocks. You'll meet many characters, make diverse friends and establish important new contacts.

1.) Just to add that www.last.fm is a good alternative, if you're stuck for cash or ill :D Just as a matter of interest, is it actually better to listen to DJ's in the club than their recordings? Do they sound better in the club setting and give special treats that would never ever appear on any album or mixtape?

2.) Hasn't DIT got its fair share of characters? They are around, but it takes a hell of a lot of work to find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

1.)Just as a matter of interest, is it actually better to listen to DJ's in the club than their recordings? Do they sound better in the club setting and give special treats that would never ever appear on any album or mixtape?

It depends really. Firstly it depends on your home soundsystem. The speakers from a little i-pod dock are never going to match the big thumping speakers in a club. I'd say nearly always the speakers are better in a club (though there are quite a few "clubs" that are an exception to this rule! :)

The there's the atmosphere. It all depends on what you're looking for really. If you just want to chill out to some light trance or downtempo music then you're better off staying at home in your armchair. I don't club too often, but when I do I like to go all out. You need to be in the right mindframe (ie full of energy, confident, friendly) to appreciate the atmosphere in a club, but when you are in that state of mind it really is something special to be in a room full of hundreds of like-minded people, everyone of them giving it socks on the dancefloor not caring or even taking a moment to consider how stupid they must look! :)

As for special treats I'm not sure what you mean. For me going to a club is more about the music than it is the dj. I don't think dj worship, ie treating the dj as some mega-superstar really fits in with the clubbing vibe. Like I said its about the music not the dj. Yes they are artists and their talent should be appreciated accordingly, but you don't need to be staring at them the whole night and applauding them. Turn around, interact with the crowd, forget the dj for a while, concentrate on the tunes, cheer with the crowd, not at the dj.

A good dj should choose his songs and alter his mix according to the vibe the crowd is giving off. So in that sense yes, it is better to see certain djs live, because you, as part of the crowd, contribute to the mix and the songs that are played. Having said that I've heard many mix albums and live recordings from djs that were better than the live performance I was at, so I suppose its all a matter of luck really - how the dj is feeling and if he wants to please the crowd or if he says "fcuk 'em, I'm doing a self-indulgent mix tonight!"

Depends on the type of music as well. I don't paticularly like psy-trance. Some people love it but I think its a bit repetitive and boring. However I'd always be up for a psy-trance event because generally they attracts a crowd of nice friendly decent people (the only downside is that most of them are hippies, but in the spirit of things I try to ignore that ;)).

I love trance music, but there is a good chance that the event will attract a load of coked-up scumbags.

I never really liked the "electro crowd", but I've been proven wrong on several occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

in my experience the higher proportion of people in the course living like students ie not with mammy and daddy , the better craic its gonna be - you have to meet new people and not just stick to old friends and never expand your horizons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MinisterOfMagic

im terrified of UCD.
    Dunno whether to just stick to the DKIT or accept my offer for Arts in UCD.
    what to do=/
    Im terrified.
    And i understand that yeh, someone shouldn't be concentrating on the 'social' aspect, but give the person a break lads. Of course if your going to college your going to want to time to blow off some steam and lets be honest, a dull ass unsocial college ain't gonna do that.
    Look at it from someones perspective thats abit nervous of the leap into third level education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LaceyCucheece

God some of these comments are bloody harsh, just answer the boys question god dammit!:mad: And he does care about his course!!

I understand what ur saying, as important as the course is I think that social life in a college really makes what the college experience is:) It's true what some are saying that it depends on how much effort u make to meet new ppl and join societies etc. But the actual college environment itself does also contribute and make it easier!

I'm a past DIT student but now studying in UCD. When I was in DIT I thought it was great for the first few months, there was about 40ppl in my class and I got to kno everyone and it was great craic. But one of the things that I found really annoying (with no offence intended) was that 95% of the class were from Dub!! Now I have lots of friends from Dublin and they're great, but it's the fact that they're on their home turf so they don't really feel the need to make as much of an effort to get to know u and head out and stuff. Because obviously they hav all their own friends already and homes to go to etc. Another thing is just the general lowish numbers in classes, societies are definitely necessary to broaden ur contacts. Also the student/lecturer relationship is obviously more personal because of class numbers so they know ur name and know when ur missing etc.. Not always a good thing :/
    UCD.. I was excited starting here but was like.. ****, 500people to a lecture.. Scarryyyy. But it's actually not that scary at all and great craic!! U meet someone new everyday and tutorials and seminars allow u to get to know ppl on a more personal level, then u can see them in lectures and have that chat and get to know each other etc:) Campus atmosphere is generally more "collegey" as in everyone to their own and ppl hanging around on couches sittin around on facebook havin the laugh. There are loadssss of societies u can join and u meet way more ppl that way too. And there's flyers everywhere so nights out and bands are always well-advertised u can't miss em:) I think the facilities are also much better, standing computers everywhere, library is massive too and there's more than just one. Great search/info database etc.
    So I hope my comment helped u a little bit.. I'm in the library supposed to be doin a project feck ya anyway haha;) Good luck-don't fret too much:p x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭MikeyCyrus

Hey, the computing course doesnt really matter aslong as you know the basics, if, lets say you got a job for microsoft as a programmer, they have to teach you a WHOLE new language, so only the basics is a nessecity

I base my college life on the social aspect and a computing course is not a good one, i often contemplate in dropping out, ders little to no girls and everyone seems to be more pub than club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

I'm in DIT and compared to the craic my friends in UCD and DCU have, DIT is awful in comparison.

After doing a "hard" and "demanding" course, you wouldn't mind any sort of social setting, even the dingiest club. Comapred to some other countries, Dublin has fantastic social life, so what are yiz complaining about? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 liznol

Ive read a lot about DIT and UCD
    but whats it like on campus on DCU anyone?

Advertisement