Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants rights

Options
  • 16-05-2009 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Quite a long description for some advice.
    I moved into a house with 2 friends in Sept, we all signed a contract that would run for 9 months. The house was advertised as a four bedroom and at first there was four of us moving in that the agent said would cost 1100 per month between us, one person backed out so just 3 of us signed the contract. Two months later, a friend from college wanted to move in so we told our landlord but he said he'd have to raise our rent because of this and put an extra 80 a month onto our accommodation.

Adding to this - we have no rent book, there was no inventory attached to our contract, the house has damp spots and mould growing in our only bathroom that shouldn't even be a bathroom causing many chest infections for us all. My room is mouldy even though I air it all the time. Recently, the landlord collected rent at the start of the month and at this time, all the housemates agreed to ending the contract early and the landlord was fine with this since he will be on holiday the time we were supposed to be moving out, however now one of the housemates has told him they want to stay and so has said we all have too see out the contract but thats not all, he has now said we have to have the whole house cleaned by next wk (4 wks before moving out) or he will hire a cleaning firm and we will have to pay for it. I have photo evidence and witnesses of what the house looked like before we moved in and its not the prettiest site.

I would really appreciate someones advice on if this is all fair from our landlord. As well as this, one of our flatmates moved someone in with him months ago without informing the landlord, I read that this isn't allowed, can the rest of us be held responsible for this as well when the landlord finds out? Please help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

Sounds like sub standard living conditions to me. Did you never complain about the damp and mould? Did he have you sign a PRTB (private rental tenancies board - google it, you do have rights you know) form when you first moved in?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

In past experience I have found the key to renting is the right landlord!
    If you have photo evidence of what the house was like when you moved in then really you only need to leave the house in the standard you found it in.

Did you take an inventory of everything in the house when you moved in? A good thing to do for moving into another house is to take and inventory and get the landlord to sign it that way you can't be expected to pay for anything else. (prob not so helpful to you right now though... )

It could be a grey area about your friend after moving someone in. As technically the contract was broken....

Did you ever mention about the mould in the bathroom? If you mentioned it then it definitly was the responsibility of the landlord to remedy the problem.

You should try ringing citizens advice on this for more information.

Advertisement