Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candidates ignorance towards the young electorate

Options
  • 16-05-2009 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Today I have had 2 candidates call to our door ask if "my parents are in?" and promptly turn around and walk off when I answer negatively. I am 21 and my sister 19, both of us registered to vote. Think they are ruling out a big proportion of potential voters. Very few have policies geared towards young people, I would have liked to talk about the whole fees debate etc but got completely blanked. In fairness its probably a good thing not getting hassled by them but nevertheless an indication on how we are overlooked by society despite being its future!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Strange. Anytime I have been out canvassing we know who is registered and if we think someone is old enough, we will talk to them. If not, and no parents are in, we will leave in a leaflet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Did you try talking at them anyway - start with something like "Guess who's old enough to vote!?"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Were you registered to vote ?
    If not then they were right to ignore you.

Also since fewer younger people vote it's not worth as much effort.

And besides your parents should be telling you which way to vote :p

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Rule 37 of canvassing.

Unless its really blunt. ALWAYS assume the person is old enough to vote and Registered to vote.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Rule 37 of canvassing.

Unless its really blunt. ALWAYS assume the person is old enough to vote and Registered to vote.

I used that rule before. Turns out she was barley 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So they shouldn't care about young people just because they're not old enough to vote this year?

This would just show what we all know, politicians are only worried about your concerns when election time comes around.

I've noticed that i have NEVER met any of the candidtaes around where i live. But they're all swarming around me now! Funny eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I've been asked about voting since I was 17, thats probably due in part to me always looking older then I am. Either way I always try to engage a person in a good conversation, last person at my door went on about labour, how the last thing this country needs is MNCs, they ruin the economy when they leave and that we should be focusing on joe soap the local plumber! Not these gigantic companies like intel and dell.

Good for you mate! Not everyone goes for a trade and I'll be seeking employement from the likes of intel and ibm in the near future!

Fair play though, the people who do knock on my door are fairly dedicated and they give me more time then most since I actually listen to them. But as to the OPs topic, none of them have really engaged me in a topic. It's usually the same old speel about the good stuff, never mentioning the bad things that need fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If I think someone is borderline I ask something like "will you be voting yourself this year?" and if they say no I'll ask why not just in case they're old enough but not registered, and if that's it I'll offer to get them a registration form.

It depends on the canvasser though, not the candidate. You can only say so much to a canvasser and you'll just have to assume they're following it.

The fees debate is one you need to bring to a TD as opposed to a council candidate, though late payment of grants is something you could hassle the next council candidate about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Wow. I think that basically sums up the main parties' views towards young people. Sure they don't matter because they don't vote as much as retired people...So? Despite the fact that students are busy with exams etc, does it make our issues less important? No politician has a right to ignore anyone, they work for us...or have you forgotten that fact?? :rolleyes:

Wow. I think that basically sums up the main parties' views towards young people. Sure they don't matter because they don't vote as much as retired people...So? Despite the fact that students are busy with exams etc, does it make our issues less important? No politician has a right to ignore anyone, they work for us...or have you forgotten that fact?? :rolleyes:

Having a run a campaign in college to get students registered. A lot simply couldnt give a **** and have no interest in the world in voting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Sully wrote: »
    Having a run a campaign in college to get students registered. A lot simply couldnt give a **** and have no interest in the world in voting.

Wait until fee's are introduced.

The reality is most people only care about politics when they feel it is impacting on their life (usually negatively).

thebman wrote: »
    Wait until fee's are introduced.

The reality is most people only care about politics when they feel it is impacting on their life (usually negatively).

I brought that to their attention;

"Ah sure, the dole will cover it"
    "I have the grant, its fine"
    "My parents will sort it"

A selection of responses I got from students related to fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Maybe if Fine Gael were to really strive towards the "fairer Ireland" every single one of their posters claims to promote then they would could the social welfare benefits from under these people ^^^ and force them to take on the responsibility of themselves.

I have one regret. Its the time I was talking to a guy scamming the dole and I went down to the room alone where me and him were sleeping and saw his address. The regret is that I didnt report him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Guess they thought that as good kids , you will vote whatever way your parents tell you to.;)

turgon wrote: »
    Maybe if Fine Gael were to really strive towards the "fairer Ireland" every single one of their posters claims to promote then they would could the social welfare benefits from under these people ^^^ and force them to take on the responsibility of themselves.

I have one regret. Its the time I was talking to a guy scamming the dole and I went down to the room alone where me and him were sleeping and saw his address. The regret is that I didnt report him.

Shouldn't we be banning these people from ever claiming a state benefit again if caught?

It would act as a significant deterrent IMO and they'd have to save their own wages to cover themselves if they become unemployed and pay PRSI to cover the money they scammed from the system and as a fine for cheating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've read this a few times and don't quite understand it. :confused:
    You shared a room with this guy and he was scamming the dole? Is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Souljacker

I think it's their loss, as Agent Smith and Sully have already said, always assume the person is of voting age unless it's really obvious. For one thing even if the person is 15-17 they're most likely going to be able to vote in the next election anyway so it's win win.

I've always looked young for my age and I've never experienced anyone being so rude, I'd have fired a complicated question at them, do that anyway it's fun to watch politicians waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Bluefox21 wrote: »
    Today I have had 2 candidates call to our door ask if "my parents are in?" and promptly turn around and walk off when I answer negatively. I am 21 and my sister 19, both of us registered to vote. Think they are ruling out a big proportion of potential voters. Very few have policies geared towards young people, I would have liked to talk about the whole fees debate etc but got completely blanked. In fairness its probably a good thing not getting hassled by them but nevertheless an indication on how we are overlooked by society despite being its future!

Name and Shame them!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

thebman wrote: »
    Shouldn't we be banning these people from ever claiming a state benefit again if caught?
    No.
    removing all income would cause people to rely on crime.

Better to make it clear that every one in their household/family will get vetted.

Still think it might be worth considering setting up a hostel type thing where everyone can have their own room.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why? (genuine question)
    Do they represent the voters or the entire public (regardless of voting status)?
    Rule 37 of canvassing.

It wasn't a politician but an €ircon rep who called recently when the wife (a teacher) who had shortly arrived home was dressed in a school uniform for some charity day answered the door. The poor lad didn't know what to say and after a few stumbled attempts asked for her mother or father. Did wonders for her ego!

• Advertisement

I'm a little lost as to what your trying to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Well I must compliment Michael Hourigan (FG) and Kathleen Leddin (Ind), Limerick City Council for spending a while talking to me as a 13 year old in 1999. When my parents asked who was at the door when I came back I said canvassers and they gave out to me for keeping them so long! Needless to say, they took care of all canvassers after that. I was letting the cold in you see!!:rolleyes:

That was before I ever had an incling to join a political party.

No.
    removing all income would cause people to rely on crime.

Better to make it clear that every one in their household/family will get vetted.

Still think it might be worth considering setting up a hostel type thing where everyone can have their own room.

With this whole asset management agency, the government could probably give them a house each to stay in while unemployed and eliminate all mortgage and rent relief for unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

Cliste wrote: »
    Name and Shame them!:D

Ha lets just say a Mrs Ambrose won't be getting on my ballot paper this term ;) In fairness she probably wouldn't have anyway.

kbannon wrote: »
    Why? (genuine question)
    Do they represent the voters or the entire public (regardless of voting status)?
    Politicans regularly ignore those who don't vote.
    Look at homeless, school children compared to the way OAP's get treated.
    Look at all the opinion poles , when we all know the one that matters is how people voted election day.

Bottom line, if you don't vote then politicians don't have to fear you voting for the other guy and diluting the votes of the faithful.

Advertisement