Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get O2 contract if I am a new to IRE

• 16-05-2009 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Can I get a contract If I am new to IRE ,

I am moving in july need O2 as the people i know are on O2

i have seen their packages , I like one but not sure if they will allow new commers on contract

Like in UK credit scoring is a big problem for some people and for some not .

If O2 declines you do they all ow you with deposit .

I dont need a phone i am after a sim only deal .

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's a case by case basis really and they take in all the information you provide into account. I would say your residency may go against you but it depends on the rest of the info etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

topdost wrote: »
    I dont need a phone i am after a sim only deal

That would help if your going with one of the 'Clear sim' plans as it has no phone and only a 30 day notice contract. You will need to have a direct debit to be able to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭topdost

thanks

yeah i have account in AIB and also have PPS . Is it better online or in shop ref to credit scoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Its all the one- you might as well just go into a shop and do it as it will activate immediately(provided you pass credit scoring) instead of ordering online and waiting for it to arrive in the post

yeah thats true

how does credit scoring wore in ire

and what does o2 usually ask..

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Credit scoring mostly goes on how long you've been in the country, have had your job and your bank account but people in O2 cant tell you which one may fail you if any as they cant see it, its an automated system, sometimes you may need to pay a 99 euro deposit to cover your first few bills or if you want to make international calls

I have U.K passport , and aib statement will that be any good what do u think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

people i know are on O2

i have seen their packages

I laughed!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Can I get a contract If I am new to IRE ,

I am moving in july need O2 as the people i know are on O2

Just to be sure, are your friends on O2 UK or O2 IRL? Calls from O2 IRL to O2 UK numbers will not be included in your minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you want to calculate the best mobile package for your needs in Ireland, there's a state-sponsored website, www.callcosts.ie which will work it out for you.

I am on O2 purely because I wanted an iPhone, from a calling costs perspective, they're one of the worst value networks in Ireland.

I would shop around before jumping on O2 IRL and as previous posters have said, remember they are not O2 UK, they just happen to share the same parent company, Telefonica, and the same brand, so there are no special O2 IRL - O2 UK rates, and no prospect of them in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would say you're better off getting a pre-pay SIM for the first few months, while you get yourself set up, and you're even sure that you're going to stay here. You may end up moving around a lot in your first six months as you find a decent place, and this would be a headache. Once you're comfortable and have a bank account and whatever else, you can then switch to a contract (and you'll get a phone for next to nothing)

Ok fair enough , you guy know best coz you live and use o2 ire .

So which network then you suggest , for calling o2 numbers and calling U.K

thanks

jenno86 wrote: »
    I laughed!! :D:D

tell me why i will as well :D:D

seamus wrote: »
    I would say you're better off getting a pre-pay SIM for the first few months, while you get yourself set up, and you're even sure that you're going to stay here. You may end up moving around a lot in your first six months as you find a decent place, and this would be a headache. Once you're comfortable and have a bank account and whatever else, you can then switch to a contract (and you'll get a phone for next to nothing)

I think Pay as you go will work lot more expensive

I think Pay as you go will work lot more expensive

If you are going for the Clear sim plans, worst case scenario you change your mind, you can cancel with 30 days notice.

Yes, get the 02 clear sim first- get your phone unloked from your UK provider first. Depending on how much you'll use your phone there is a free extra for calls to Ireland landlines and uk ones too, forgive me for my patchy knowledge but it's only new. Check out 02.ie for more information on it. I think that add on is only available on the €50 a month and higher.

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Yes, get the 02 clear sim first- get your phone unloked from your UK provider first. Depending on how much you'll use your phone there is a free extra for calls to Ireland landlines and uk ones too, forgive me for my patchy knowledge but it's only new. Check out 02.ie for more information on it. I think that add on is only available on the €50 a month and higher.

Ahhh tried it cant ind where uk call are included

might be me

can you send a link

thanks

Ahhh tried it cant ind where uk call are included

might be me

can you send a link

thanks

Its a free extra o2 are doing if you sign up before july 31st to 350 or 600 plans. You get a few to choose from, but one is free Ire and Uk landlines.

Free Extras

Davy wrote: »
    Its a free extra o2 are doing if you sign up before july 31st to 350 or 600 plans. You get a few to choose from, but one is free Ire and Uk landlines.

Free Extras

yeah you are right but i thought that offer is on pay as go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

No the offer is definitely a bill pay one and an option to use if you are over here. We also offer good roaming deals if you use O2 UK if you ever go back for a while. You may not have any trouble but if you do the worst case scenario (as krudler pointed out) is that we will ask you to pay a deposit against your first months bill.

• Advertisement

No the offer is definitely a bill pay one and an option to use if you are over here. We also offer good roaming deals if you use O2 UK if you ever go back for a while. You may not have any trouble but if you do the worst case scenario (as krudler pointed out) is that we will ask you to pay a deposit against your first months bill.

I have just pm you .thx

If nothing else you'll get a top quality service from daryll in 02. He provides top notch customer service:) brilliant! Good luck with 02, hopefully sign up will be hassle free

Oh yeah I agree daryll in 02 has been very helpful.

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    If nothing else you'll get a top quality service from daryll in 02. He provides top notch customer service:) brilliant! Good luck with 02, hopefully sign up will be hassle free

Advertisement