Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vegas thread

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Don't stay in the stratosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

Excalabur for teh win

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

5starpool wrote: »
    Don't stay in the stratosphere.

What did you find wrong with it??

Been looking at places the last couple of days and it looked ok for the money.

How about Gold Coast, Luxor or South Point??
    Anyone stayed in any of them??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

mdwexford wrote: »
    What did you find wrong with it??

Been looking at places the last couple of days and it looked ok for the money.

How about Gold Coast, Luxor or South Point??
    Anyone stayed in any of them??

Stratosphere is miles away, its stretching a point for it to even call itself a strip hotel. Its also the dodgiest area of the Strip, possibly the only place that I didn't feel safe during my time in Vegas.
    Not one place you'll want to play in is within walking distance, so what you save on hotels you'll spend on taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Ive been to Vegas before, i know where it is and stuff. I was just wondering were the rooms crap or something. I stayed in Wynn last time but im condering something a bit cheaper time.

I suppose you wouldnt be walking to Bellagio, Venetian etc a couple of times a day alright though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

im in the stratosphere.... was here for 3 nights and have extended it to 18 now, cash games are really soft, the club itself is really well run with nice staff and a nice shopping place

the deuce is $7 for a day which takes you up the strip, get off at bally's/bill's and there is a shuttle outside bills that takes you to the gold coast which is free(just say you have a room in the gold coast). not too far away from me personally, but then again I am looking for softer cash games like the sahara etc rather than going for the big names

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

You use the bus in vegas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

You use the bus in vegas?

Jesus Buses in vegas, i felt under pressure from the heat if there was a small queue at the taxi rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,319 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

stratosphere sucks, stay close to bellagio/mirage kind of area. Anywhere else doesn't make sense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

imperial palace is decent location and dirt cheap. Very handy if you go to the Venetian (which is my favourite card room)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Stratosphere's location is awful imo, plenty of cheap hotels at the Bally's corner of the strip. In summer heat of Vegas convenience and minimal time spent outside of AC is most important.

how many of ye are actually in Vegas at the moment??? the heat is nowhere near bad, I have walked from sahara to bally's and thought it was totally grand, heat isn't too bad over here atm
    and the busses are air conditioned so that is nowhere near bad... maybe its because I am not fussy but really like the location of stratosphere and everyone here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Don't forget to mention that you've loads of money in Stars too Dougee; make the begrudgers more grudging.

Hope you're killing it over there. Best I've managed this month is a WR2 ticket on Stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Has anyone else ever found the static shocks in the Stratosphere to be around 5 times more frequent than other places? I began forming a theory that poor people emitted electricity like electric eels during the sorry half hour I spent there.

Staying in the Stratosphere, playing 1/2 poker there, and taking the bus sure you might as well have gone to Blackpool. Eschewing Spearmint Rhino for paying a homeless woman $10 to strip down an alley behind the bins and eating McDonalds for dinner can't be far behind for the ultimate Vegas experience.

dougee19 wrote: »
    how many of ye are actually in Vegas at the moment??? the heat is nowhere near bad, I have walked from sahara to bally's and thought it was totally grand, heat isn't too bad over here atm
    and the busses are air conditioned so that is nowhere near bad... maybe its because I am not fussy but really like the location of stratosphere and everyone here

lol sahara to bally's is like 5 minutes walk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

i much rather stay somewhere central and have most places within walking distance rather than having to traipse all over vegas or travel on buses full of poor people.

lol sahara to bally's is like 5 minutes walk
    I'll put $200 in a bin for you if you walk that in 25 mins, its about 3 miles.

i much rather stay somewhere central and have most places in walking distance rather than having to traipse all over vegas or travel on buses full of poor people.

I tried to use that Deuce yoke on my last trip, a horrid horrid experience.

Actually used the monorail quite a lot, $13 for a 24 hour pass isn't too bad though it helps if you are specifically going to the hotels that have a station as otherwise you have to walk through the hotel to get to the Strip.
    And the clientele are a cut above the bus.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Unless you are on an ultra budget there is no reason to stay down the stratosphere/circus circus end of the strip, and if you are on an ultra budget what the hell are you doing in Vegas.

It may not be too bad at the moment in Vegas, but the last 2 years when I was there it was regularly 110+, and around 100 at night. Not really temps you want to be walking more than 5 or so mins in. I walked from Bills to the Venetian a few times last year in the early afternoon, and it was about as far as I would want to go, and in that 10 minute walk, you can do around half of it indoors via flamingo/harrahs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

stratosphere + car rental much cheaper than hotel on strip + taxis.

stratosphere is the business if you're not a uber-rolled balla! games are soft there, and easier access to a smaller budget vegas experience with games in binions/golden nugget which are downtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

ditpoker wrote: »
    stratosphere + car rental much cheaper than hotel on strip + taxis.

stratosphere is the business if you're not a uber-rolled balla! games are soft there, and easier access to a smaller budget vegas experience with games in binions/golden nugget which are downtown.

Stratosphere is total pants, what you save in room rates you give up in taxi fares and the general ****ness of being ages away from the action.

I'll put $200 in a bin for you if you walk that in 25 mins, its about 3 miles.

oops, confused sahara with imperial palace

its just personal opinion anyways, no need to take shots at my bankroll... I enjoy the cash game here with the tower straddle being a great thing, I am staying in Caesars and in the Gold Coast in the coming weeks too, I just wanted to see all of Vegas really, gonna go to downtown to see the 80's style Vegas in the next few days after the side events I'm in.
    and the weather is nowhere near bad over here, I can't really cope with the heat in most places but over here I amen't even working up a sweat walking around the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭smoothcall

Bibions steakhouse definitely worth a visit if your going downtown, unreal steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Mind you, the Sahara is linked to the other end of the strip with that monorail type dealie which is quite handy too. I stayed there last time. If I was going again though I would stay somewhere at the other end, if you're poor the Excalibur and places arent too expensive usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭OpenEnded

What places should I go to:

Eat?
    Drink?
    For a night out?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

OpenEnded wrote: »
    What places should I go to:

Eat?
    Drink?
    For a night out?

As far as eating and drinking go, it's probably a touch expensive, but Nine Fine Irishmen in New York New York has savage food and had a great band playing Irish Trad music when I was there...

The cocktail makers on Freemont Street also put on a good show, even if the drink ends up a little weak for the price...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭spoofingjam

keane2097 wrote: »
    As far as eating and drinking go, it's probably a touch expensive, but Nine Fine Irishmen in New York New York has savage food

ye i would really recommend this place for food. Savage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Pabloh

They've had the same band in that pub the last 10 times I've been there. Ri-Ra - they're pretty awful too- they even have some poor girl doing irish dancing in the middle of it all and some some crazy looking creole midget woman turns up and joins in. Doesn't actually stop me going back though...must consider that. The Central Park bar in NYNY is also decent with duelling pianos going on. Studio 54 and TAO are good clubs. Also can recommend the Hard Rock Hotel - it has a really good steakhouse and cash games with mississippi stradle! Action Action! If you're looking for the best value hotel I'd say it has to be the Orleans. If you play 4+ hours a day on average you'll qualify for the poker rate. This means an average price of about $30 a night and the rooms are pretty good. The place is a bit off the strip but you're likely to be getting taxis no matter where you stay unless you only plan to play in the same hotel. In terms of Poker the Orleans has a big room with 2 daily tournaments that tend to get fields of 80-150 players. They also have a lot of cash games thouggh mostly limit. No limit 1-2 games are pretty soft. In addition they have a 17 screen mutliplex cinema and 90 lane bowling alley for when your idling between games and sleep. I stayed there about 8 times and liked it a lot but am now tending to stay in the Venetian.

Advertisement