Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whirl>>l

Options
  • 16-05-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

hi there

last sept i bought a whi>>pool washing machine in Ar&os.. from the start it was a bit funny. the last 2 weeks it has been broken, its saying the door isnt closed when it is.. engineer came out, said its a control panel problem and as he's never seen this model b4 he has to check it out on coputer and order a part. he'd get back to me in a week.

that was 2 weeks ago, getting totally fobbed off by Whir>>pool all week, they're not returning calls and cant give me a date when this part will be shipped.
    today i rang ar&os and they said if i need to be waiting 28 days for a part before they replace the machine!!! rang consumer advice, have 2 say they were brilliant, told me that under legislation if product is faulty then the problem must be resolved in a resonable amount of time ( he said that amount of time is up to me).

so rang argos back, they couldnt get tru to whirlpool so he will get back to me next week. i threw in my sale of goods act a few times and mentioned small claims court also.. he said if whirlp>>l try fob them off then they will relace it but if they have already ordered this part then they have to give the 28 days.. i told him this would not be accepptable but i will wait to see what whirlp>>l have to say. hopefully they'll be more co-operative with them.

i swear i am raging over this now and im prepared to take this to the small claims court. am going to give it loads to them next week if its not sorted!!

does anybody have any advice or experience with dealing with whirlpool or the smaill claims couet??

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

TB, I would never buy Whirlpool, their after sales service is a joke. I'm in rented accommodation, and had a problem with a washing machine leaking and not finishing a wash. Have the 7 year parts warranty, so it's all covered. Got on to Whirlpool who sent an engineer out in a few days. Got a leaky seal replaced, but he wasn't sure why it wasn't finishing it's cycles. could have been damage from the leak, or could be the dial. I said I'd give it a few days, and see what happens. Anyway, still not working properly, contact Whirlpool again, and they agreed to order a new dial. That was January, and I'm still waiting.

Been on to them 5 times since then. At one point, they had the issue as resolved, claiming the dial had been replaced. I'm still awaiting the call.

My advice, get your money back, and buy a different machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

thanks for reply and well believe the trouble u had with the after sales.. absolute joke they are..

problem is that argos have a policy that i need to be waiting 4 this part for 28 days before they'll replace machine which is laughable!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭DOS

The trouble here is that Argos have imported the unit from Whirlpool UK. The service contract is through the UK. Whirlpool in Ireland are not interested in supporting these units that were imported as the profitability of the Irish office goes down if they do look after the imports.

If you are prepared to buy British, don't expect the Irish to pick up the pieces when things go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

DOS wrote: »
    If you are prepared to buy British, don't expect the Irish to pick up the pieces when things go wrong.
    If a British company is prepared to sell in Ireland, they are expected, by law, to pick up the pieces when things go wrong.

OP: Argos are within their rights, but don't give them a day over the 28 days. If it is not fixed in that time (which is reasonable enough, but anything past it is not), speak to Argos one last time (in store, not Argos Direct, they don't know Irish law), insisting on a replacement of the entire machine immediately, or a refund. If they fail to do this, lodge a claim with the small claims court.

Advertisement