Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NUIG Masters

• 16-05-2009 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I posted something similar in the NUIG forum but might get a better response here. It's more broad also.
    I'm planning to go to the Huston School of Film and Digital Media next year, either for an MA in Screenwriting or an MA in Production and Direction.
    Can anyone tell me anything at all about them...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 flower123

I completed the MA in Direction and Production MA two years ago. Anyone still wondering about these MAs? I am full of info. Do people still use Boards.ie for these types of things? :D As of a year ago, I am aware the Screenwriting MA is no longer running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GiraffeOnFire

flower123 wrote: »
    I completed the MA in Direction and Production MA two years ago. Anyone still wondering about these MAs? I am full of info.

I haven't heard great things about that Masters course from speaking to some past students. Did you get what you wanted out of it? Can you tell a bit more about the course? Do they have the latest film making equipment or a purpose built studio because I get the feeling they don't.

From inquiring about the Digital Media Ma, that's full up for 2018-19 which means nothing, people can be stupid with money and end up throwing it at education in hope or desperation. I went to the postgrad fair at the end of last year to get further information about the course, I left feeling a bit unimpressed. There's also a whole thread on here about the course from previous years, not good!
    flower123 wrote: »
    Do people still use Boards.ie for these types of things? .

Yes, is there somewhere where I can get other info? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 flower123

I feel this MA (Production and Direction NUIG) provides a good balance between film history and theoretical practice that you can use in the workplace. 
    I feel the course layout may lack in areas whereby the length of the technical modules are not long enough. However, independent learning is encouraged and camera equipment (canon and sony cameras and lenses, tripods, boom poles, recording equipment and a dolly are accessable to rent for a weekend etc). BUT (something which I wondered also before starting), no there is no purpose built studio in the building.
    Previous versions of this course relied heavily on essay writing, which now is not so much the case. Although there are many essay projects and presentations throughout the year, the FYP is formed of a weekly blog speaking about the final film project your roles and research, which allows you to focus more on the practical project.
    Overall, I graduated with a masters which I was proud of, because it was a hard year. However, I often wonder if it is better to do a level five or six filmmaking course, for example there is one in Tralee. Doing these practical courses prepares you for this kind of working environment a bit better, so I have heard.. you end up with more connections also. 
    Generally, this masters accepts 5-8 students per year, so that explains why it is full. No, not all people who complete this masters are stupid with their money (I don't appreciate your comment on this). I did this masters with the knowledge that I would have an MA from a respectable University. I need to emphasise again -the course has been changed a lot since that previous thread/forum was made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GiraffeOnFire

I appreciate your input. Thank you.

Advertisement