Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking virgin!

• 16-05-2009 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

just as in the title i can cook minimally - just what i need to basically.

rubadubs oat pancakes were frickin lovely but now looking for any nice recipies substituting flour with protein powder? Im very unimaginitive as you can tell!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

What sort of thing are you planning to cook?

If you don't have one, I strongly recommend a good non-stick frying pan with a glass lid. These are great things, you need almost no oil to cook, and the lid keeps things moist and not burned. It's amazing how many foods can be put on a moderate heat in this pan, left for ten minutes and they are perfectly cooked. You can even throw in a lot of chopped vegetables with the meat or fish etc and they'll cook at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Cheers for that Eileen. Ill will look into that

Was thinking some type of cookies or protein type bars.

i think i read somewhere that some type of fruit cakey type thing was made with protein powder as a substitute for flour but cant find the post

I know i'm helpless!!!!

I suppose any type of recipe that anyone else has made use of with protein powder or similar really. set me on my way to better cooking innovation.

So sick of just boiling chicken, making scrambled eggs and omlettes and steaming and stir frying veg!

The thing to watch about the protein bars is that they tend to pack a lot of calories into a very small space.

As a general rule, if you separate a couple of eggs, whisk the white until it is stiff and fluffy, then mix the yolks with protein powder and a small amount of liquid, maybe a pinch of baking powder, then fold it into the white (lots of wrist action, don't whisk or beat it), and bake it for 10-15 minutes, you get a sort of cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I get powdered sugar free jelly. Make it up in a little water, then I blend up milk & unflavoured whey in a small blender. I then fold the hot jelly into the frothy mixture. When it sets it is like a mousse. You have to gently stir it a few times while setting of else it will sort of separate with more set jelly at the bottom.

I got "blackstar labs" sugar free strawberry flavouring with sucralose on and it is very nice. I add it to my pancakes mix and top them with low fat custard.

rubadub wrote: »

I got "blackstar labs" sugar free strawberry flavouring with sucralose on and it is very nice. I add it to my pancakes mix and top them with low fat custard.

Where do you get this? I usually use gelatin and my own sweetener and flavouring, to avoid the aspartame in the regular sugar-free jelly.

You can also do a version with cottage cheese. Mix the SF jelly with about 1/3 of pint of hot water. Throw a tub of cottage cheese into the blender, with a bit of the hot jelly mixture. Blend till smooth. Add in the rest of the jelly, plus a tray of ice-cubes, blend until there is no ice rattling. Lovely high protein mousse.

• Advertisement

EileenG wrote: »
    Where do you get this?
    I got it on www.myprotein.co.uk but they no longer do blackstar, they have their own and the strawberry gets good reviews.
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/flavouring-systems/mp-flavouring-(strawberry)/

it is also sucralose based which I figure is what you are after. All their supplements are very cheap. I am getting the psyllium husks next time, which get good reports in the fitness forum
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders/fibre/whole-psyllium-husks/

I am also taking their thermopure as I am currently cutting my calories http://www.myprotein.co.uk/capsules-tablets-softgels/weight-loss/thermopure/
    I find it gives me lots of energy

You can get a 5% discount for your first order. You can enter my code at checkout MP99441 I get some "referral points" too if people use it.

Ok, I'll try that.

I buy my psyllum husk from H&B, a bag is about 4 euro for 500g and no postage. I find I get shocking tight when it come to postage charges.

Oh, I'm going to London in a couple of weeks (a 3 euro Ryanair flight). Do they have a shop you can visit?

I find I get shocking tight when it come to postage charges.

Oh, I'm going to London in a couple of weeks (a 3 euro Ryanair flight). Do they have a shop you can visit?
    I don't think they have a shop. I do know they recently reduced the postage costs a lot to here, think it is under £7. Also these shops tend to have high weight limits. I think www.bulkpowders.co.uk have a fixed price up to 25kg.

I try to make the most of my postage costs too, and buy a fair bit at one time. But also workout your own costs. If you went to the shop in london you might spend more time, money & effort on getting their than the £7 postage is worth. Like people fooling themselves about massive savings by driving up north, ignoring all the petrol costs etc.

I get everything delivered to my workplace so I never have to collect in post offices.
    I buy my psyllum husk from H&B, a bag is about 4 euro for 500g and no postage.
    That seems very cheap, I thought they only did tablets which were a lot more. That is cheaper than myprotein which are £7 per 500g bag.

The tablets cost an arm and a leg, but the actual bags of psyllum husks are much cheaper. Cheap enough that I use them for cooking, not just for fibre.

True about the travel costs, but I'm going anyway, and I'll be buying an all day Underground ticket. I find when I buy online that I often add stuff just to bring the postage down and I didn't really want it. In the shop, I'm more likely to just buy what I think is worth the hassle of carrying.

Bored at home so i just opened the fridge to see what was lying around and put together the following

2 whole eggs
    300mls buttermilk
    scoop unflavored protein powder (30g)
    spoon flax
    30g sliced almonds
    tbspn greek org yougurt

Mixed untill it was a paste and got 3 large blobs out of it currently in the oven

Will fill ye in on the turnout!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Suggestion- if you're not very experienced at cooking and are looking to cook something nutritious in which you can vary the protein etc - buy a wok or a large non-stick pan, a small quantity of sesame oil- and off you go. You can make a very tasty stirfry with tofu, any of a large number of different types of meat- and mushrooms etc- and flavour it with a little ginger paste or some other herbs/spices- for a very tasty hot meal, with minimal fat and carbohydrates. If carbs are required you could add a diced potato or some noodles to the pan. The possibilities are endless. Bord Bia do a series of menu cards based on stir frying different meats- something you might consider.

S.

What sort of thing are you planning to cook?

If you don't have one, I strongly recommend a good non-stick frying pan with a glass lid. These are great things, you need almost no oil to cook, and the lid keeps things moist and not burned. It's amazing how many foods can be put on a moderate heat in this pan, left for ten minutes and they are perfectly cooked. You can even throw in a lot of chopped vegetables with the meat or fish etc and they'll cook at the same time.

Turns out the Ma has one stuffed away under her bed. never been used or anything. so to expand my horizons and what not now.

my experiment earlier turned out like a moistish cakey type thing. really soft, smoothish so i sectionned it into squares and stuffed it into the freezer and see what its like then

smccarrick wrote: »
    Suggestion- if you're not very experienced at cooking and are looking to cook something nutritious in which you can vary the protein etc - buy a wok or a large non-stick pan, a small quantity of sesame oil- and off you go. You can make a very tasty stirfry with tofu, any of a large number of different types of meat- and mushrooms etc- and flavour it with a little ginger paste or some other herbs/spices- for a very tasty hot meal, with minimal fat and carbohydrates. If carbs are required you could add a diced potato or some noodles to the pan. The possibilities are endless. Bord Bia do a series of menu cards based on stir frying different meats- something you might consider.

S.

Ya im a big fan of tofu in stirfrys actually. usually that or prawns or steak with literally umpteen amounts of veggies and seasoning . never tried the ginger paste actually so thanks for that

im going to check out the bord bia reccomendation

cheers

Just to say. I was cooking meatballs today in a pan with lid. About to take them off, when the phone rang, and it took 20 minutes to deal with the hysterics on the other end. By the time I got back, they were brown, but not burned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just to say. I was cooking meatballs today in a pan with lid. About to take them off, when the phone rang, and it took 20 minutes to deal with the hysterics on the other end. By the time I got back, they were brown, but not burned.

You can caramelise meat- its not often done- and it is tasty- but thats what happened........

Advertisement