Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen sink leak

Options
  • 16-05-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hello,

I noticed a leak below kitchen sink , I thought it was the u bend but its coming from under the 'basket' where the fitting meets the sink.

I have attached pic , has anyone experience with similar type of fitting ?
    I read that some fittings are sealed with plumbers putty ,some silicone.

I cant see a retaining ring on the black piece , i'm wondering does the fitting itself have the threads...

anyone know?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The way that works is that if you look into the sink from above in the plug hole/drain or whatever you call it you will see a bolt that you can tighten up with a flat head screw driver this bolt slides into the black plastic fitting under the sink and tightens it so its tight to the underside of the sink.

Between that black plastic fitting and the sink there should be a black rubber this is usually what will stop the water coming out at the underside of the sink , this usually works well enough on its own if its present and the bolt is tightened correctly. if it doesnt work undo the bolt dry all the components apply silicone on the underside of the sink where the rubber will meet the sink put it all back together and leave to dry for a good few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Thanks for reply outkast ,sounds a lot better than the set up with the locking nut and getting a wrench etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

leave me know how you get on sure:D

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

I tightened up the screw like you said, it took a couple of turns like it was a little loose but it didnt get very tight so i didnt want to push my luck and make it slip. :eek: Good thing is It seems like the leak is gone away ;),will keep an eye on it. I recently changed the work counter as the dampness had rooted it (dont think the builders bothered to pvc the back of kitchen counter :rolleyes:) and the fitting might have taken a knock when i removed the sink.

Fingers crossed ;)

Advertisement