Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Noob question: Lines during movement after ripping/converting video

Options
  • 16-05-2009 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭

Pretty new to this video lark so forgive me if this has been answered before (couldnt find anything)

Im using iSkysoft DVD Ripper for ripping video from DVD (not commercial movies) and converting between file formats but sometimes I get this wierd effect on scenes with a lot of movement. Hard to describe exactly but its a kind of line tearing along the edges of moving objects where the individual lines become really obvious.

Im figuring it is something to do with interlace or (badly implemented) conversion between line standards but havent figured out exactly what

I also noticed that when ripping to MPEG4/H264 there is no option to rip to any of the 576 line ("PAL") resolutions. Is this normal or just down to the software Im using ?

Finally is it possible using NERO to burn a video DVD in such a way that the disc will loop (repeat) automatically when being replayed on a DVD player or laptop

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

What you describe sounds like interlacing alright. Have you viewed on a TV? As you probably know, computer monitors are progressive only so the problem may not be a problem when viewed on an interlacing monitor (i.e. a TV).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

It's definitely interlacing, you should look for deinterlacing options when you rip DVDs. If (unlikely) your ripper doesn't have any, use Handbrake - it's free and really good:
    http://handbrake.fr/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Rip the DVD's and do the file conversions with MPEGSTREAMCLIP. Its free and is excellent.
    Tick the deinterlace video option when converting unless you know what field order it is.
    Yes you can create a DVD that loops automatically. Alternatively, pretty much every DVD player has an auto repeat function anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Thanks guys. Like I suspected its the interlacing.

In a hard to find menu there are settings for deinterlacing the options are
    None
    Repeat Odd Field
    Repeat Even Field
    Odd interpolate
    Even interpolate

I have a rough idea what these mean but am not sure which exactly is the best to use. (All of them offer some improvment but Id like to know which is the best to use when) Are some settings better for viewing on computer monitors than TV's ?

My DVD's are mostly TV/Camcorder recordings or VHS transfers with (vertical) resolutions ranging from 240 to 576

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Format Factory is free can rip directly from the DVD and fixes the interlacing problem automatically.

www.formatoz.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mediafreak

could it be a NTSC-PAL issue? if it is, then thank God the Digital television revolution is underway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

mediafreak wrote: »
    could it be a NTSC-PAL issue? if it is, then thank God the Digital television revolution is underway.

Nope, it's an interlacing issue. And bad news... digital TV is interlaced, just like analogue. And there is no universal digital format, in either standard or high definition.

Advertisement